X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they ever do just 2 rounds if numbers are down

My son has just finished round 2 of the BEP his numbers are both down below the normal range. He is wondering, as I am too, why does he have to do another round? I am thinking it must already be a proven that 3 are needed no matter what? Please give me your imput, I appreciate any help, I will call the doctor in the am, but we were just wondering what you all had to say. Thank you in advance for your imput.

Steven's Mom

There are "protocols" (also know as guidelines) that are created by doctors based on past patients, new medications being used, effectiveness, etc. The BEPx3 protocol was made and is widely used across the world for its effectiveness and cure rates compared to BEPx1, or BEPx2, no matter how the well the patient has responded. Very, very few oncologists will lower their initial treatment protocol. It is best to go with the initial treatment given. A patients' first time on chemo is their best chance. You want to have the very best chance at beating this the first time.

Just my opinion
    sigpic

Justin; http://www.facebook.com/justinkatuls
    Stage IIIB with mets to lungs; 100%EC; BEPx4

http://youtu.be/hlsIwmtb0U8 Divine Romance, Phil Wickham

Comment

i've never heard of two rounds of BEP. a lot of patients' numbers normalize within the first week of chemo, but they still continue their treatment to ensure a relapse doesn't happen. Think of this last round as a safety net. Keep in mind that if your son's numbers are below the normal range now, this is a very positive sign for a cure
      Kick testicular cancer in the balls
      9/2010 Pure Embryonal Carcinoma
      10/2010 right orchiectomy
      6/2011 HCG up to 300 6/27/2011 3XBEP
      7/2011 HCG up to 1500
      8/2011 HCG down to 6
      8/25/2011 mass in abdomen
      9/23/2011 RPLND
      11/2011 HCG up to 37 masses in lungs and lymphnodes 11/2011 1X TIP
      12/2011 HCG up to 400
      12/2011-1/2012 2x HDC carbo/etopiside with Dr. Einhorn 3/2012-5/29/2012 50mg oral etopiside
      1/2012-present HCG >0.5

Comment

No, I don't think so. It is terrific that the numbers are down and normal (hooray!) but... you want to make sure that indeed the cancer, even the most minute microscopic cells, are not hiding somewhere. You want proof of a durable, sustained remission and that proof just isn't possible - yet. You have one amazing, excellent chance to kill this cancer dead. If you do not and it comes back, it can be much harder to tkill.

Some cell types are more wily than others, some are slow and less likely to spread (and easier to kill). What was your son's tumor pathology?
        Heidi

Husband - age 51
        10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; ß-HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
        11/1/10 4X BEP
        12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - ß-HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
        2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
        6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
        Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Just because the markers are normal doesn't mean there are no
          traces of cancer. My son's markers were normal when he had blood work done
          a day or two before his RPLND, but there were microscopic traces of cancer
          in five of the nodes that were removed. Not enough to show in his blood
          markers, but could have been a disaster if his medical team assumed
          the normal markers meant the cancer was gone.

With normal markers and only microscopic traces of cancer,
          he was still advised to go through two rounds of EP to make sure
          all the cancer was killed.

Your son's cancer is sensitive to the chemo and that's great!
          Only one more round to put an end to the beast!!

Hang in there!!!
          Diane

Comment

Chemo is cumulative. Think of it like antibiotics... you have to finish the full course. The effectiveness of it increases with every subsequent round and the staging and type of cancer determines how many rounds. Unless there is a complication, it is almost never cut short.
            Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
            Left I/O 11/25/08
            Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
            Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

Originally posted by Smilemjc22 View Post
              My son has just finished round 2 of the BEP his numbers are both down below the normal range. He is wondering, as I am too, why does he have to do another round? I am thinking it must already be a proven that 3 are needed no matter what? Please give me your imput, I appreciate any help, I will call the doctor in the am, but we were just wondering what you all had to say. Thank you in advance for your imput.

Steven's Mom
              I didn't find what your son's pathology or staging was, but if they prescribed 3xBEP, that is what should be done. I know it's tempting to shorten the treatment, but that all important 90+% cure rate is dependent on all 3 courses. One more round to get through now & you can almost certainly put this behind you. It's not worth risking anything less...

Dave
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
              X