• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oncologist Appointment

Hi,
    Got my Oncologist appointment tomorrow.

What should i be asking her ?

I have classic seminoma clear CT scan and blood work so probably stage 1 (although i have not been staged yet by anybody)

I know i need to ask her about treatment choice etc. but does anyone else have a question that may be helpful to put to her based on your first oncologist appointment ?

I want to get the most out of the appointment.Leave no stone unturned so to speak !

I am based in the UK

Col.

You will certainly need to ask for details about your case, including results from the pathology report (tumor types with percentages, extent of invasion), radiography (CT scans and x-rays) and tumor markers. If indeed you have stage I seminoma, ask about all three available management strategies: surveillance, adjuvant radiation and adjuvant chemotherapy. All three carry a near 100% chance of disease-specific survival, so it's pretty much a guarantee that you will have no bad choices.
    "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
    11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
    12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

I forgot...

Col

I pm'd you with some detail about how mine went last week. One thing I forgot was that said they would be getting the path and CT and their own team would be re-reading them so not to be surprised or concerned if there were minor changes next time.
      Feb 12 - Ultrasound confirms suspicious swelling, AFP 2, HGC 3, LDH 644, CT Scan - clear. Urologist says probably tumour
      28 Feb 12 - Left I/O Classic Seminoma (Alveolar) 3.9cm max, no LVI or RTI, encapsulated and excised. pT1. AFP 2, HGC <1
      Apr / May / Aug 12 / Dec 12 / Mar 13 (notionally 1 Year) - Oncologist - All clear inc CT / CXR
      ~Aug - next planned surveillance

Grumpy is just a 20 year old nickname not an instruction Okay

Comment

Originally posted by Fed View Post
        You will certainly need to ask for details about your case, including results from the pathology report (tumor types with percentages, extent of invasion), radiography (CT scans and x-rays) and tumor markers. If indeed you have stage I seminoma, ask about all three available management strategies: surveillance, adjuvant radiation and adjuvant chemotherapy. All three carry a near 100% chance of disease-specific survival, so it's pretty much a guarantee that you will have no bad choices.
        I agree with the friend Fed. Very probably your oncologist will say all these things to you. However, if you have yet your histologic path report, you can see there how is your seminoma classified. Very probably, if your CT scans came up clear, and with that low markers level, it could be a "pT1,Nx,Mx" (first stage with no possibility to determine the state of the regional lympho nodes and metastasis if the surgeons didn't found them and didn't send them to the histologic unit) or a "pT1,N0,M0" that is the best of the cases, because it gives you the safety that your regional lympho nodes are free from invasions and thus that you have not metastasis in the other part of the body. But I repeat, this is only for my personal experience, and your case seems very similar to mine.

Good luck and don't be afraid for your visit tomorrow!

Comment

The most important questions will likely be answered automatically: what stage TC do you have & what treatment options you have.

You probably already have a list of other questions forming in your mind, I can't think of anything to add, but I suggest you write them down, as I always forgot a few at every visit.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
          X