Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member, 26, just started me chemo ;)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How you getting on sweeny?

Comment

Kicking Cancer in the Face

Hey everybody. I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a while, but I have been busy kicking cancer in the face. That is what my wife likes to call it at least . I am halfway through my 2nd round of BEP chemotherapy and I have 1 more round. My half-way measure of my tumor markers were great (posted below) and I have been feeling quite good. The hair is gone, but baldness isn't too bad, and I am still working out every week. If there was one suggestion I could give it would be to keep up your workouts if you can, it definitely seems to help me cope with the anxiety and ravenous appetite.

First tumor marker numbers (just beginning chemo): AFP - 86.4;HCG - 1,100;LD - 160
      Halfway through BEP numbers: AFP - 12;HCG - 6;LD - 157
      Cost: Priceless

The only bad news I have I suppose is my pulmonary function has decreased about 10%, but they say that will come back post-chemo. That darn Bleomyacin.

Love you guys,
      Matt

Comment

Great attitude! That is what got my son Joey through this past year. The bleomycin hit him really hard and at one point we werent sure he could continue, BUT, we did it anyway and now he is just fine. He was worried after his RPLND because he came home on oxygen and couldnt seem to get off of it. No one told us to slowly wean yourself off of the oxygen, thank goodness my sister is a nurse and she told us to slowly reduce it. That was in April, now he is hiking, climbing 13,000 high mountains here in Colorado. Life is great these days and it will be for you too.
        Stage IIB
        12/29/11 - Diagnosed AFP-181,HCG-30,LDH - 181
        12/30/11 - R I/O 40% EC,40% yolk sac, 10% chorio,immature teratoma with islands of immature & atypical cartilage
        12/30/11 CT - 6 nodes largest is 2.8 x 2.2 cm
        1/13/12 - AFP-24, HCG -7, LDH-389
        1/24/12 - BEP x3 round 1 began
        3/27/12 - BEPx 3 completed,6 nodes remain largest 2.9 x 2.2
        4/26/12 - RPLND at University of Colorado,1dead, 5 teratomas
        5/3/12 - All clear - surveillance
        7/19/12, 10/19/12,4/17/13, 11/8/13 - all clear!

Comment

Hi Sweeny,

So glad to hear you're doing well with the chemo. That's fantastic!

My son starts 3x BEP on Monday, so he's right behind you. Thanks for the advice on working out. He's going to be admitted on the long weeks, but should still be able to do some walking around the hospital. And we have a treadmill and weight set for when he's home on the off weeks.

Keep posting updates, they help other people. And keep on kicking it in the face!
          sigpicMother to a wonderful 17yo

06/04/12 left i/o
          1.7 x 1.5 x 1.6 cm pure embryonal, LVI present
          beta hcg at 7 pre-op no other markers
          6/27/12 CT Scan clear, blood markers zero
          RPLND 7/19/12
          33 nodes removed, all cancer free
          10/10/12 Chest x-ray clear, beta HCG at 14
          10/15/12 CT clear, HCG at 41, false-positive ruled out
          10/19/12 CT scan re examined, small spot right lung
          Start 3x BEP Monday 10/22/12 finished 12/17/12
          12/04/12 HCG undetectable, CT Clean
          Back to school 01/07/13

Comment

Hey Mom2One,
            How old is your son? I am sure that BEP will work great for him. Chemo is a necessary evil, but it sure does like to destroy cancer. I wish your son all the best and will keep him in my prayers. Name?

Comment

He's 17 and he asked me when all of this started to please not use his name on the forum, so I respect his privacy. He likes for me to do the research, so I know which questions to ask and what to look out for, but he prefers to go through treatment without worrying about if / when certain side effects will hit since he feels that optimism is his best weapon.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope your treatment is going well too.
              sigpicMother to a wonderful 17yo

06/04/12 left i/o
              1.7 x 1.5 x 1.6 cm pure embryonal, LVI present
              beta hcg at 7 pre-op no other markers
              6/27/12 CT Scan clear, blood markers zero
              RPLND 7/19/12
              33 nodes removed, all cancer free
              10/10/12 Chest x-ray clear, beta HCG at 14
              10/15/12 CT clear, HCG at 41, false-positive ruled out
              10/19/12 CT scan re examined, small spot right lung
              Start 3x BEP Monday 10/22/12 finished 12/17/12
              12/04/12 HCG undetectable, CT Clean