X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rising AFP, again...

Have a really strange situation. About 3 1/2 years ago diagnosed with stage 1b pure seminoma. (They checked pathology twice at 2 different labs). Had an initial afp of around 9, then just prior to the surgery (1 month or so later) had an afp of around 4 or 5. 1 to 2 months after the surgery afp went up to 9 and stayed between 9 and 11 for 2 or 3 tests. Then dropped down to around 4 again. After 1 dose of carboplatin (for the pure seminoma) afp stayed around 4 to 4.5 for 3 years. Oncologist believed I just had an abnormally high afp. I realize afp doesn't apply to pure seminoma, just including all of this for the history.

About 3 months ago I had an afp test with the result being 11.4. Next one was 1 1/2 months later and was 11.0. Then retested 1 month later and now 14. All 3 of these were at different labs. I know the normal range for the 2nd test was listed as <9.9. Normal range for second test was listed as < 8.0. Had a clear CT about 2 months ago, B hcg has been normal for every test.

Any thoughts?

We've had other members with AFP readings consistently above the reference range. There's a list of some possible causes to consider on this web page.
    Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your support helps Livestrong fix the problems that people with cancer face every day. Please give generously!

Comment

Thanks!

Scott,

Thanks for the reference! I know that I had some alcohol prior to the second test. Then the Dr. wanted me to abstain from alcohol for 2 weeks then repeat the test. It went from 11.0 to 14 in that month.

I am currently in the Navy and deployed. The only things that I have been doing differently than before the tests are eating less and exercising more (which should help as I understand) and also I have been taking a lot of vitamin C (which can cause false positives in some tests, but I didn't see listed for AFP) and I have been taking melatonin. That is about it.

Comment

One more AFP test

The doc had me go back for another AFP test. This time was 13.8 so very close to the last test. I went to the urologist, he did a check up, testicle looked normal and most recent CT was clear. He recommended doing the AFP again towards the end of November. (keep in mind I have a history of higher than normal AFP that has gone up and come back down to the 4 to 5 range)

Since I saw the urologist I have had one other issue. I noticed that I had a couple of lymph nodes swelling in my right armpit. within a day they were swelling in my other armpit, then around both nipples started swelling. This coincided with what seemed to be an ear infection. (pain in right ear) All of this went away within a few days, nipples were only swollen for a day or so. It has been about a week since then and today I noticed that the lymph nodes in the right side armpit are swelling again. They are not getting very large, just slightly swollen and pinkish. I had read something about hot tubs causing something exactly like this, I live in Japan and we have a soaking tub, and the timing of using it does coincide with this also.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
        X