• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ainsleigh
    • Aug 2013

A Second Chance - Please Read!

Hi guys,

Wesley was given a second chance.

After undergoing a second unsuccessful RPLND just three weeks ago (July 2013) - he was told by the surgeon that further resection of his tumour was impossible. This meant he would not see cure.

After hard work and prayer, a multidisciplinary team up in Johannesburg decided that they would go ahead with the operation. They had looked at his scans and decided radical tumour resection was "doable".

On Friday 23 August 2013 - Wes underwent a 10 hour surgery for Radical Resection of his retroperitoneum tumour. He had a RPLND, an aorta bypass, left nephrectomy and appendectomy. He was stitched up as both the surgical team and Wes needed a break.

On Monday 26 August 2013, Wes underwent round 2 of the op. He had his Inferior Vena Cava completely resected as well as the majority of his tumour. The surgeons took away at least 90 percent of his tumour.

The IMPOSSIBLE was made POSSIBLE.

The entire surgical team cannot believe that Wes pulled through because they have never been so radical before. EVER.

Today, we saw the lump on Wes back had gotten bigger. It was the size of a bb gun pellet 10 days ago in the spot the needle went for the bone biopsy he had (negative results). Today it looks as though it has grown X 3.

We have learnt not to panic.

The oncologist is not phased and says new growth or not, mop - up chemo will kill any remaining cancer.

We are so grateful that Wes was given a second chance at life...

Please pray for him and send your positive thoughts so he can finally be healed.

My brother has had it really tough yet he fails to give up. Orchiectomy, 58 sessions of Chemo, 2 RPLNDS, 2 Major Tumour Resection Surgeries and HE STILL PLOUGHS THROUGH...

Keep fighting friends, keep on...
    Brother Wes:

Dec '10: Orchiectomy: Diagnosis: Torsion.

Oct '12: Stage 3 Non-Seminoma (AFP 35,000) 22cm mass (retroperitoneum + lung)

Nov '12: 4 x BEP (AFP 277) Lungs clear.

Feb '13: PC-RPLND. Most of mass in retroperitoneum removed. Some teratoma unresected due to vessel involvement. IVC nicked: bleed-out + metastasis to liver. (AFP 18,000) Para-neoplastic Limbic Encephalitis.

Mar '13: 5 x TIP (AFP 30) Liver clear + PLE gone.

Jul '13: 2nd PC-RPLND (Surgery unsuccessful + leftover teratoma deemed INOPERABLE)

Aug '13: (AFP 150) New surgeon willing to operate next week!
  • Jeffmeans
    • Jun 2013

I am always awed by those warriors who refuse to lose, each one is an inspiration as well as the caregivers who are with them all the way. Tell Wes to keep up the fight and Ainsleigh keep extending your shoulder.

Jeff
    June 2013 - Right I/O - Tumor Markers normal July 2013 - 2 cm tumor - 100% classic Seminoma - no angiolymphatic invasion detected - Stage 1A July 2013 - Placed on active surveillance

Comment

• Jimmerz
      • Mar 2012

Prayers are going out to your brother Wes! He is indeed a warrior! I pray that his long and arduous journey will come to a positive end! You are a good and strong brother!

Jim
      March 2012 - I/O Right Testicle (pure Seminoma)
      April 2012 - July 2013 surveillance
      July 12, 2013 LDH 365, Node is in abdomen size = 2.7cm. (treatment needed)
      August 5, 2013 beginning 3xBEP

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimmiller71

Comment

• alex1987
        • Aug 2013

Having read about your brother's journey thus far, I can tell he's a true fighter and will keep forging ahead, no matter what challenges life brings him. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Wes, and the rest of your family. Do keep us updated as he continues on with treatment.

Comment

• MWH
          • Jul 2013

Sending prayers and positive thinking, after going through that, he can beat it!
          07-3-2013 Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer.
          07-10-2013 Radical Orchiectomy: Left.
          Tumor Mass 4.5cm, Isolated.
          Tumor limited to testis and Epididymis with Vascular/Lymphatic invasion.
          Pure Seminoma classic type.
          No tumor markers (blood), Ct Scan and Xray clear.
          Stage 1B
          08-21-2013 Carboplatin Chemo 1-Shot, round 1,015mg.
          Surveillence

Comment

• Ainsleigh
            • Aug 2013

Wes is now in heaven

Hello friends,

Thank you for all your kind words.

I have not been on this site in a while but I would just like to let you know that Wes went to heaven on 26th October 2013.

Sometimes things don't ever make sense and we wont know why.

His only treatment after his op was palliative care and he died a peaceful and pain free death at hospice.

His wish was for all of you men to be heroes and to never give up.

Keep fighting friends.

X Ainsleigh
            Brother Wes:

Dec '10: Orchiectomy: Diagnosis: Torsion.

Oct '12: Stage 3 Non-Seminoma (AFP 35,000) 22cm mass (retroperitoneum + lung)

Nov '12: 4 x BEP (AFP 277) Lungs clear.

Feb '13: PC-RPLND. Most of mass in retroperitoneum removed. Some teratoma unresected due to vessel involvement. IVC nicked: bleed-out + metastasis to liver. (AFP 18,000) Para-neoplastic Limbic Encephalitis.

Mar '13: 5 x TIP (AFP 30) Liver clear + PLE gone.

Jul '13: 2nd PC-RPLND (Surgery unsuccessful + leftover teratoma deemed INOPERABLE)

Aug '13: (AFP 150) New surgeon willing to operate next week!

Comment

• fred.60
              • Feb 2014

I am truly sorry for your loss....prayers are with you all..

Comment

• S P
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

I'm so sorry to hear the news.
                Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
                April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
                www.stevepake.com
                Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
                My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
                C
                ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• MamaLovesHerBoy
                  • Aug 2013

I am so very sorry for your loss.
                  25yo son diagnosed 7-25-13
                  Right I/O 7-31-13
                  malignant mixed non-seminnomatous germ cell tumor w/invasion
                  85% EC, 10% yolk sac & 5% mature teratoma
                  Spread thru lymph nodes & lungs
                  Started 3xBEP 08-05-13
                  Pre-op AFP & bHCG in the 300's. After surgery rose into the 500's & 700''s.
                  10-03-13 markers normal
                  10-08-13 last day of chemo.
                  Now under the care of Craig Nichols
                  10-30-13 cat scan~ lungs are clear ~ one lymph node 1.4 cm
                  RPLND 12-19-13~ teratoma found, no live cancer
                  12-2014 all clear!
                  07-2015 all clear!
                  01-2016 all clear!
                  07-2016 all clear!
                  03-2017 all clear! (scan & bloodwork)

Comment

• MT0821
                    • Sep 2013

Sorry for your lost. My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Comment

• hismom
                      • Sep 2009

I am heartbroken. Your brother is was a hero and now an angel.
                      23 yr old son diagnosed Jul 2009
                      Right I/O 5 days after ultrasound
                      Stage III Non-Seminoma mixed 85% EC, 15% Yolk Sac and immature teratoma
                      Mets retroperitoneal lymph nodes and lungs
                      Began 4 X EP Aug 2009 Completed Oct 2009 Sloan Kettering
                      Lung mets resolved, lymph node mets reduced to sub centimeter and markers normalized
                      RPLND 11/20/2009 Dr. Sheinfeld, pathology 2 nodes positive for live cancer
                      2 more rounds EP Jan 2010 - Mar 2010
                      Surveillance at Sloan Kettering - ALL CLEAR TO PRESENThttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

• eg518937eg
                        • Aug 2013

I am so sorry for your loss.
                        8/5/2013 - right I/O 8/20/2013 - classic seminoma (tumor size 5.5 cm confined to testis. No spermatic cord involvement. Lymph vascular invasion present.) 9/04/2013 - CT scan results - All clear http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...lies/smile.png 9/23/2013 - met with 2nd oncologist - stage 1B 9/26/2013 - dose 1 of 2 of carboplatin 10/17/2013 - dose 2 of 2 of carboplatin 11/15/2013 - follow up. Still anemic 11/27/2013 - thyroid ultrasound for pain in throat - all clear http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...lies/smile.png 12/2013 - throat pain dx as intubation injury and stomatitis

Comment

• Tarc79
                          • Mar 2011

I'm sorry for your loss.
                          Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
                          Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
                          4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
                          May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
                          Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
                          April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
                          4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
                          2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
                          Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
                          2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Comment

Working...
                          X