X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x(EP) Starts Monday

With the other medical issues I've had crop up, RPLND isn't happening and 3x(BEP) will be 4x(EP). I'm calm on the outside but kinda freaked on the inside not knowing what the chemo will bring. in 4 months I'll be assessed, it's gonna be a bumpy holiday.

Anyone done just the EP route? success? (pure embryonal carcinoma here)
    September 9 Right Orchiectomy
    Pathology 100% pure Embryonal Carcinoma T2N2S0.
    Stage IIB
    Treatment RPLND deferred due to health. 4xEP

I thought I was doing the 3x BEP, but I'm doing the 4x BEP as well. I just started my second cycle today. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water to flush your kidneys. Bring something to read or just to keep you pre-occupied. I tend to pass out and sleep through most of mine.
    Last edited by JeffX; 10-16-13, 07:14 PM.
    My newer blog. I'll be using the one below from now on.
    http://jefflilland.blogspot.com/

Initial Diagnosis 04/15/2013 Stage 1b Non-Seminoma
    I/O 04/08/2013
    Second Diagnosis 09/19/2013 Stage 3 Non-Seminoma in the left lung
    3x BEP 09/25/2013-11/19/2013
    All Clear 11/26/2013

Comment

Fazoom,

I just started my 1st cycle this past Monday. Im doing 3xBEP. Make sure u get the proper hydration before the treatment begins and after its ends. Also drink plenty of water while at the infusion center and take some snacks so u can munch on. You will be there for a long time...

Comment

Originally posted by Fazoom View Post
        Anyone done just the EP route? success? (pure embryonal carcinoma here)
        I did the 4xEP, but my diagnosis was 98% seminoma with some metastasis. Knock on wood, but things are clear just over a year and a half since I finished the treatment. It was along haul but bearable. The hydration is definitely important, as is finding something to do to stay occupied during the treatment. Just ask as questions come up during...I'll be happy to add my 2 cents and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
        September 2011: Symptoms, US found a mass, right I/O
        98% Seminoma (2% = possible early transformation to mixed choriocarcinoma)
        Stage IIC (or is it IIIB??), "bulky": CT/PET showed 5 x 5.7 x 6.2cm abdominal mass
        October 2011: Started 4xEP
        January 2012: Finished chemo, abdominal mass down to 2.4 x 1.8
        February 2012: Abdominal mass down to 1.3 x .8...unresponsive to PET
        March 2012: Complete remission, started surveillance
        March 2013: One year all clear
        September 2013: 1.5 years all clear
        March 2014: Two years all clear
        September 2014: 2.5 years all clear

Comment

4 x EP

My son was Stage III 85% EC. He received 4xEP which is the treatment of choice at Sloan-Kettering vs. BEP, and YES - he is a success story. He's been all clear 3 years 9 months.

Stay hydrated and don't shy away from the anti-nausea and/or pain meds. Don't wait till you feel sick as hell - use them before and you will ward it off.

I'll be sending positive thoughts and good wishes your way - please keep us posted.
          23 yr old son diagnosed Jul 2009
          Right I/O 5 days after ultrasound
          Stage III Non-Seminoma mixed 85% EC, 15% Yolk Sac and immature teratoma
          Mets retroperitoneal lymph nodes and lungs
          Began 4 X EP Aug 2009 Completed Oct 2009 Sloan Kettering
          Lung mets resolved, lymph node mets reduced to sub centimeter and markers normalized
          RPLND 11/20/2009 Dr. Sheinfeld, pathology 2 nodes positive for live cancer
          2 more rounds EP Jan 2010 - Mar 2010
          Surveillance at Sloan Kettering - ALL CLEAR TO PRESENThttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

Originally posted by hismom View Post
            My son was Stage III 85% EC. He received 4xEP which is the treatment of choice at Sloan-Kettering vs. BEP, and YES - he is a success story. He's been all clear 3 years 9 months.

Stay hydrated and don't shy away from the anti-nausea and/or pain meds. Don't wait till you feel sick as hell - use them before and you will ward it off.

I'll be sending positive thoughts and good wishes your way - please keep us posted.
            Good news indeed. How severe were side effects other than the nausea and pain? Hair and all. I know I'm gonna feel sick and tired. How long were his bad days and bounceback days? being 42 and not athletic with a heart issue they're treating (and showing improvement) i'm worried about the low of the lows.
            Stage IIB

Comment

Originally posted by Fazoom View Post
              Good news indeed. How severe were side effects other than the nausea and pain? Hair and all. I know I'm gonna feel sick and tired. How long were his bad days and bounceback days? being 42 and not athletic with a heart issue they're treating (and showing improvement) i'm worried about the low of the lows.

I did 4xBEP and honestly, I didn't have many symptoms, other than a little dehydration, until the 3rd and 4th cycle. I can remember working out or playing golf after chemo some days. As a firefighter, my doctor said no more work until I was past treatment so I had a TON of free time on my hands. With the bleo, he obviously wanted to take no chances. Having said that, on Monday of the 4th week of each month, I got my neulastia which was HORRIBLE to say the least. That evening and into the next morning, I ached like crazy and had fever that would not go away. My mets were in the mediastinum but I never had pain during chemo. A bit of insomnia due to the Decadron but I took sleeping pills to combat that. Good luck with treatment man! Your treatments at Redmond or Harbin?

In Christ,

Wes
              In Christ,

Wes

"We" are the lucky ones

Comment

Originally posted by wes0711 View Post
                I did 4xBEP and honestly, I didn't have many symptoms, other than a little dehydration, until the 3rd and 4th cycle. I can remember working out or playing golf after chemo some days. As a firefighter, my doctor said no more work until I was past treatment so I had a TON of free time on my hands. With the bleo, he obviously wanted to take no chances. Having said that, on Monday of the 4th week of each month, I got my neulastia which was HORRIBLE to say the least. That evening and into the next morning, I ached like crazy and had fever that would not go away. My mets were in the mediastinum but I never had pain during chemo. A bit of insomnia due to the Decadron but I took sleeping pills to combat that. Good luck with treatment man! Your treatments at Redmond or Harbin?

In Christ,

Wes
                Harbin. I'm not getting a port or a line but doing IV. It's gonna be 6 hours for 5 days. 42 and fat = they're taking precautions.
                Stage IIB

Comment

I have a port and I'm glad I did. From what I've heard the chemo can be bad for the veins.

I've found after day 3, I'm pretty much exhausted. Luckily my rounds are broken up by the weekend, so by Sunday I have some energy.

I/O 04/08/2013
                  All Clear 11/26/2013

Comment

The hair fell out during the second cycle. He had to go to the Emergency Room once because of fever. They want you to go immediately if your temperature goes over 100 because your immune system is compromised during chemo. His bad days were always a few days following the end of a cycle. He'd feel fine by the end of that week.
                    Lung mets resolved, lymph node mets reduced to sub centimeter and markers normalized
                    Surveillance at Sloan Kettering - ALL CLEAR TO PRESENThttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

Originally posted by hismom View Post
                      They want you to go immediately if your temperature goes over 100 because your immune system is compromised during chemo.
                      Hmm, I was told to call my onc if my temp got over 101, which it did once on a bleo only day. He had me take some antibiotic as a precaution but the fever dropped almost as fast as it came on. I didn't need to go to emergency.....
                      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I was admitted to the hospital with a fever of 100.4 and my white blood cell counts were too low.

I/O 04/08/2013
                        All Clear 11/26/2013

Comment

My treatment is a 6 hour a day for 5 days week, then 16 days (2 weeks off) for 4 cycles. Did you guys do 3 days? I think they're trying to lower the shock on my 42 year old self. Thanks for all the info, I know I'm just on the tip of the ice berg, but me taking it easy and doing light excersise through this will help the other issue found due to this cancer. They detected a heart rhythm and I have a low ejection fraction in my heart. Coreg is a med to reverse it, and I believe it's working.

I can say this cureable cancer is saving my life.
                          Stage IIB

Comment

Davepet,

I think your onc has the better policy - the ER is that last place I'd recommend to someone who should avoid germs! I stayed with my sick son in the car while my other son went into triage and told them his brother was on chemotherapy and can't be with other sick people. Thankfully, they took him straight to a single examination room with a door and posted an Isolation sign. He ended up being admitted because of the white cells also, but was released the next day.

Comment

The EP schedule was 5 days outpatient usually around 5 hours per day, then two weeks off for 4 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X