Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe.shupe22
    • Nov 2016

Damn, I hope the radiation and chemo does the trick. You're in my prayers Martin. You have been on one heck of a journey!
    11/16- Pain/lump in R testicle 11/16- US finds multiple masses 11/16- Right I/O path multifocal largest nodule 2.1cm 100% EC with LVI/rete testis invasion. 12/16- Ct/markers normal stage 1b 12/16- Ct/markers normal 1/17- rplnd pN1 2 nodes 1.8/1.4 cm EC Stage IIA 2/20 ct/markers clear! 3/1/17 started androgel for low T 4/27/17 Relapsed. Multiple lymph nodes in mesentary and few nodes in retriperitoneum. Start 3x bep. Ct after 2nd cycle revealed all masses already resolved! Continue last cycle! 6/26/17 Finished 3x bep!

Comment

• vault111
      • Jul 2016

Good luck with the new plan! A new drug gives hope. How many rounds of it are you expecting to do?

Comment

• Blondie
        • Mar 2016

The number of cycles was left open. Most likely until progression or severe toxicity of any form. If I'm very lucky and respond well and my bone marrow can take further chemo, that's another discussion.
        Sep. 2015: Diagnosed with large primary mediastinal GCT and lung met.
        Sep.-Nov. 2015: 1xPEI/VIP, 1xBEP, 2xTIP, markers normal after chemo.
        Jan. 2016: Surgery to remove residual mass. Pathology shows immature and mature teratoma.
        March 2016: Markers rising. PET/CT shows 4 active mediastinal lymph nodes.
        April-July 2016: 4xGAMMA (dactinomycin, HD methotrexate, oxaliplatin, paclitaxel).
        July 2016: SBRT mediastinum, markers rising. PET/CT shows tumors in mediastinum, pleura and abdomen.
        Aug.-Oct. 2016: HDC, 2xEC, markers normal, almost all tumors resolved.
        Jan. 2017: Markers rising. PET/CT shows activity in mediastinum, pleura, abdomen. Oral etoposide and SBRT on active tumors. PD.
        March-April 2017: cisplatin, gemcitabine. PD.
        May 2017: pazopanib. PD.
        June 2017: imatinib.

Comment

• Rodrigo
          • Jan 2017

Hi Blondie,

The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center are making a study, called "Make an IMPACT." For mediastinal germ cell tumors. The study involves 'MSK-IMPACT' genetic testing which they hope give some clues into the mutations that are driving the disease. If any treatable mutations are found, they may be able to suggest treatment options or possible enrollment onto an available clinical trial.

If you have interest I can send you the email of the project cordinator.

Rodrigo

-July 2016: diagnosed with mediastinal 100% yolk sac tumor (11x8cm) Afp 11300 -August: pet scan shows an 16x12cm tumor; started 4 x Bep -September: increase in tumor size 20x16 -November 2016: end of 4x Bep Afp 86; Pet Ct - decrease in tumor size (6,5x7,5cm) -December: Afp rising 86->257->376->880 -January: Moved to Ac. Camargo Cancer Center; supposed treatment: 4x Tip -> 2x HDCT (Carbo Etoposide) -> Surgery. -Jan-March: After 2xTip Afp ~45 - April: Afp 38 -> HDCT - May: Afp Rising 46->67->81 = HDC Failed; second round aborted; Pet ct shows stable disease; GemOx while waiting for salvage surgery.

Comment

• Conor1988
            • Oct 2011

Blondie,

Sorry for not replying sooner to all of your updates. I am cheering for you and think of you often. Good luck and keep us posted.

Conor
            9/27/2011 - Mass detected
            10/4/2011 - Left I/O; Seminoma; Stage I
            11-12/8/2011 - Radiation therapy
            2012 - 2013 - Surveillance
            2/6/2014 - bHCG 7.3, then 9.2
            2/10/2014 - Recurrence confirmed, CT scan detected a chest tumor: 7.1 x 5.6 x 8.7 cm in diameter. Also a lymph node 1.4 x 1.0.
            2/17/2014 - 3xBEP
            5/12/2014 - Tumor completely resolved
            9/12/2014 - New nodule on CT scan
            11/11/2014 - Nodule increased from 1.2 x 0.7 cm to 2.9 x 0.9 cm.
            12/8/2014 - HDC Autologous Stem Cell Transpant in Indianapolis
            1/16/2015 - Tumor completely resolve!
            3-6/2016 - started having severe and worsening headaches
            6/28/2016 - 9.8cm brain tumor detected; emergency brain surgery
            8/10/2016 - Radiation (6 weeks) to entire brain and spine to treat brain tumor (suspected leptomeningeal disease)

Comment

• Trekga
              • Jan 2017

Wishing you the best!!!!
              Son Grant
              dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
              Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
              2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
              Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• stufax
                • Jul 2016

Hey Blondie,

How are you hanging out there? You just came to my mind. I have a CT scan next week and I am quite feared of a relapse because I have had some strange feelings in the groin recently. Hope you are doing better.

Tuomas
                08-12/2015 Back pain, several epididymitis, fever, night sweats, went to many docs but nobody thought I have cancer as had nothing in testicles
                01/2016 Retroperitoneal seminoma stage III, huge masses in retroperitoneum and also in neck
                02-04/2016 3*BEP
                09/2016 Fever again -> relapse confirmed, cancer now in lungs too
                09/2016 1*TIP + 1*TI
                10/2016 1*HDC autologous -> almost died to toxicity, one week in ICU, 2nd round skipped
                02/2017 RPLND (21 hours huh) - 4 days in ICU again, found necrosis/fibrosis only!
                2017-2024 All good

Comment

• Blondie
                  • Mar 2016

It's been a while since I updated, and not much has happened for better and worse. I'm currently on my second cycle Gem+Cis, and it has not exactly gone according to plan. My platelets plummeted after the first infusion, so I was unable to receive days 8 and 15 of the first cycle. Same happened now on day 8 of the second cycle, although my platelets were 74 this time. Low but not alarmingly low, and I'm not very happy with my oncologist's decision not to give me any chemo. Somehow miraculously my markers have declined despite the lack of chemo, and AFP is now 120 and HCG 4. Not a dramatic decline, considering the timeframe is 6 weeks, but still a decline.

Otherwise I'm doing quite alright. I don't have any pain and chemo leaves me feeling miserable for about 5 days, but after that I'm fine. I had a CT yesterday, but will have to wait for the result. Depending on the result, I might have a biopsy to check for targetable mutations and receptors. I think my best bet is CD30 and Brentuximab. It's mainly used for treating Hodgkins Lymphoma relapsed after HDC with some remarkable success. I'm currently looking for doctors willing to administer it off label (in case the tumour is CD30 positive of course), since the only actively recruiting trial is in Indiana/MSKCC which is not an option.
                  Jan. 2016: Surgery to remove residual mass. Pathology shows immature and mature teratoma.
                  April-July 2016: 4xGAMMA (dactinomycin, HD methotrexate, oxaliplatin, paclitaxel).
                  July 2016: SBRT mediastinum, markers rising. PET/CT shows tumors in mediastinum, pleura and abdomen.
                  Jan. 2017: Markers rising. PET/CT shows activity in mediastinum, pleura, abdomen. Oral etoposide and SBRT on active tumors. PD.

Comment

• Blondie
                    • Mar 2016

Tuomas, I sincerely hope your feelings are just signs of anxiety or at least unrelated to cancer. Good luck for the scan!

Comment

• Tarc79
                      • Mar 2011

Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but my platelets have been stable around 34 for the last three years without any problems. I had two major surgeries without bleeding complications.
                      Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
                      Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
                      4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
                      May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
                      Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
                      April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
                      4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
                      2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
                      Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
                      2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Comment

• Blondie
                        • Mar 2016

Today I learned that the latest chemo has failed, my markers are rising fast and new tumours have appeared on the CT, mainly in the mediastinum, lung and pleura. Naturally the chemo has been aborted, and right now there is no plan. My oncologist has however ordered a tumor biopsy. Depending on the result, she was much more open to experimental targeted therapies and immunotherapies than before, and specifically mentioned CD-30 and PD-L1 as possible targets (implying treatment with Brentuximab Veditin and/or Nivolumab/Pembrolizumab, respectively). Seems my nagging about these therapies has paid off.

I know the evidence about the effectiveness of these therapies is scarce, and borderline anecdotal. The few existing small studies on Brentuximab yielded response rates of 20-40% and cure rates of 0-20%. Quite ****ty odds, but still better than doing nothing. But first it all boils down to whether the right targets exist on the tumor.

Comment

• Trekga
                          • Jan 2017

BLONDIE~ So sorry to hear this. Please update us when you can about the new tumor biopsy. I'm not familiar witht he therapies you mentioned.
                          Son Grant
                          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Blondie
                            • Mar 2016

Yesterday I had a core needle biopsy of one of my tumours in the mediastinum. The procedure was not very painful, the hardest part was lying still for the better part of an hour and I felt claustrophobic going in the CT scanner all the time. It was also shocking to see the amount of tumours that I could see on the doctor's screen in just one CT slice. I don't know how long it will take to analyse the tumour samples, or how long time the process of applying for off-label use of new drugs might take. My oncologist has never done it before, which of course causes more uncertainty. At the same time, I know she is trying very hard to give any therapy to me that I might benefit from.

Comment

• Blondie
                              • Mar 2016

My oncologist called me today and there was a slight change of plans. Instead of me taking oral Etoposide until the biopsy is analysed, I will be taking Pazopanib. It is a relatively new targeted therapy, and a recent study has shown some efficacy in testicular cancer, with a majority of patients achieving a marker decline. Hopefully it can keep my disease stable for a while until I hopefully have more potent options available.

Comment

• Trekga
                                • Jan 2017

BLONDIE~ I hope the Pazapanib can help decrease your tumor markers. I will keep you in my thoughts.
                                Son Grant
                                dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

Working...
                                X