X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdub
    • Apr 2016

Sore throat and difficulty swallowing

I have been rinsing with baking soda and salt several times a day since my first week, but a couple of days ago I noticed the back of my mouth was red and a little difficulty swallowing. After I got home from my bleomycin booster today, it got a lot worse in a matter of a few hours. Painful to swallow. Juice and popsicles help, but really hard to eat solid food. I am managing a smoothie.

I saw from a few posts that this does not seem to be uncommon. Aside from the Magic Mouthwash recommended by JeskiM69 and using a humidifier, recommended by 1lessball2answr, any other home remedies that have helped people?

Hi everybody. Just finished today my 4xBEP after a seminoma diagnostic. CT is all clear. :)))) Just one question. During the 3rd cycle my throat Hurt a lot when eating. My doctor prescribed me some pills and it passed. Now, during the 4th cycle, the pain is back, although not so bad and it's getting

Hey guys -- just seeing if anyone else out there dealt/deals with this. I'm in the middle of second cycle of 4xBEP, and my throat feels bad. Not a sore throat. It's lower, like near my voice box. I sing, and my voice is unaffected so far, but it feels funny when I swallow if I'm not swallowing any food. No

Mar 23, 2016 - Left I/O, tumor 4.0 x 3.5 x 2.6 cm
    Embryonal carcinoma, extensive lymph-vascular invasion, pT2
    Mar 28, 2016 - CT scan, 5 lower lobe pulmonary nodules, largest 1.8 cm, retroperitoneal adenopathy
    Apr 4, 2016 - met with oncologist, cancer staged at IIIa
    Apr 11, 2016 - started 3 x BEP
    Jun 13, 2016 - finished chemo!
    Nov 8, 2016 - 4 month checkup, tumors shrank significantly, bloodwork normal
  • JeskiM69
    • May 2014

As with most side effects that you experience during chemo; it's best to tell the nurses what you are dealing with....no matter how trivial it may seem. Things can go south during chemo real fast so it's best not to take chances.

- Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• jdub
      • Apr 2016

Thanks Matt. I contacted my nurse and let her know, for now she just said to keep rinsing with salt and soda and let them know if I develop sores. For what it's worth, I feel better today, so I'm thankful. Maybe a bit of an allergic reaction or something.
      Mar 23, 2016 - Left I/O, tumor 4.0 x 3.5 x 2.6 cm
      Embryonal carcinoma, extensive lymph-vascular invasion, pT2
      Mar 28, 2016 - CT scan, 5 lower lobe pulmonary nodules, largest 1.8 cm, retroperitoneal adenopathy
      Apr 4, 2016 - met with oncologist, cancer staged at IIIa
      Apr 11, 2016 - started 3 x BEP
      Jun 13, 2016 - finished chemo!
      Nov 8, 2016 - 4 month checkup, tumors shrank significantly, bloodwork normal

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

Magic mouthwash is not a home remedy, it is a prescription & each oncologist seems to use slightly different ingredients. didn't use it but many have reported in here that it works wonders.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Bones
          • Sep 2015

My husband worked for Amgen on the trial of the medication that treats this oral mucositus. Its a known side effect of platinum based chemo, I forget the name but your nurse will know it. Its super effective but expensive.

Comment

Working...
          X