• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • S P
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Significant changes to NCCN Guidelines Follow-up Recommendations

Hey everybody,

My latest article over at the Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation blog covers what have been some pretty significant changes to the NCCN guidelines recommendations for follow-up intervals over the years. In particular, they've really pulled back on the number of CT scans in the past 1-2 years, to minimize the risk of secondary malignancies from radiation exposure from the scans. If you were diagnosed with TC within the past few years, you should definitely check out the latest NCCN guidelines (version 2-2017 as I type this).

Negotiating Surveillance and Long-Term Follow-up for Testicular Cancer

Too many potential scenarios to go through, but some of you might not need any more CT scans at all, and might just be able to go with chest x-rays, which literally take a minute, and no stupid oral contrast or IV lines and crap, and a drop in the bucket of radiation compared to a CT scan.

Bottom line, just check the latest guidelines, and compare to what you're doing now. You might be able to make some adjustments in your favor (fewer scans and appointments). I also cover some suggestions on developing your 5 year surveillance exit plan, as the guidelines only run out to 5 years. What to do after that? Covered on the blog.

Last edited by S P; 01-19-17, 10:16 PM.
    Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
    April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
    www.stevepake.com
    Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
    My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
    C
    ONTACT ME ANYTIME!
  • biwi
    • Jun 2015

Great article, thanks for posting! At my next checkup I will have to revisit the surveillance guidelines with my onco. I think after year 5 I probably will do something similar - annual physicals and tumor markers with my primary care provider, no oncology visits or scans. Being a no-baller now I won't need follow up ultrasounds, and already am on TRT and hormone monitoring.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
    4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• Trekga
      • Jan 2017

So informative. Thank you for posting over here! I will share with my son's Oncologist.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• worried_mom
        • Jul 2015

I'm glad this is getting recognition! After my son's diagnosis we opted for surveillance with his urologist, after the first year we switched to an TC oncologist (Dr Gerl - he has worked with Dr Einhorn und Dr Nichols in the past) and we are still doing surveillance. Anyway, his oncologist does x-rays and ultra sounds, the follow up appointments are every 2 months for the first 2 years including blood work. Dr Gerl explained to us, that TC has a route and he examines these organs vigilantly via ultra sound and x-ray. Also, with the follow-up appointments so close, it's easier to catch a recurrence.
        Thank you for posting Steve!
        Mother of Son (Son's date of birth: August 1987. Age at diagnosis 27, now 28)

1 July 2015: Son discovered small knot in left testicle, no pain. Waited and observed.
        10 July 2015: Appointment with urologist. ultrasound: 1.7 cm tumor, blood work: AFP - 1.62 (5.50), bHCG- <0.1 (<2.0), LDH159 U/l (135-225), 2.65 umol/s/l (2.25-3.75) .
        14 July 2015: Hospital, same diagnosis.
        15 July: 2015 l/O, Pathology: Stage 1A 100% Seminoma.
        16 July 2015: CT - Clear
        October 2015: Blood work - Normal range
        January 2016: Bloodwork - Normal Range
        Febuary 2016: CT - Clear

July 2016 - One year clear!!

Active Surveillance recommended by hospital Doctors, His Urologist .
        Via email by Dr. Nichols and Dr. Einhorn

Comment

• S P
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by worried_mom View Post
          I'm glad this is getting recognition! After my son's diagnosis we opted for surveillance with his urologist, after the first year we switched to an TC oncologist (Dr Gerl - he has worked with Dr Einhorn und Dr Nichols in the past) and we are still doing surveillance. Anyway, his oncologist does x-rays and ultra sounds, the follow up appointments are every 2 months for the first 2 years including blood work. Dr Gerl explained to us, that TC has a route and he examines these organs vigilantly via ultra sound and x-ray. Also, with the follow-up appointments so close, it's easier to catch a recurrence.
          Thank you for posting Steve!
          For Stage IA pure seminoma, he should still be getting abdominal/pelvic CT scans every so often, although they're really trimmed down on those too. I see that he is from your signature. They used to call for them every 3-4 months, but now you can go annually if you want. I see that chest x-rays are "as clinically indicated" now, so even that's optional or maybe only done if the lungs don't sound clear or there's symptoms. In general, they're depending more on the physical examination skills of doctors and using their instincts to guide them, rather than carpet bombing patients with tons of CT scan radiation all the time.

I haven't compared this specific classification with the old guidelines (I have them archived on my computer at home), but I've seen across the board changes to follow-up schedules especially in the past couple of years. As I wrote in my blog, I about cried when I saw that my 27 chest x-rays over the years would only be 7-9 now, but water under the bridge now. LOL
          www.stevepake.com
          C
          ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• S P
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by biwi View Post
            Great article, thanks for posting! At my next checkup I will have to revisit the surveillance guidelines with my onco. I think after year 5 I probably will do something similar - annual physicals and tumor markers with my primary care provider, no oncology visits or scans. Being a no-baller now I won't need follow up ultrasounds, and already am on TRT and hormone monitoring.
            Yeah the testicular ultrasounds are one of the things where I was like, why aren't they recommending these for follow-up? Well, they are now.

Not mentioned in my blog, but I have a history of inguinal hernia issues, and had bi-lateral repair surgery done two years ago now. The pain from that, especially on the left side where I still have a testicle hanging, was incredibly unnerving because it felt 95% the same as then pain I felt in my right testicle when I was diagnosed with TC. It drove me into full freakout mode a couple of times, but it's always just been hernia pain and not a second TC. Still, just for peace of mind purposes and earliest possible detection of anything amiss, an annual scrotal ultrasound done at annual physicals makes a tons of sense for TC survivors.
            www.stevepake.com
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by S P View Post
              Yeah the testicular ultrasounds are one of the things where I was like, why aren't they recommending these for follow-up? Well, they are now.
              Sorry to say this again, I have said many times in here that I expect we will likely see many more cases of 2x warriors as the years go by. Survival rate of 1X was 10% or less when I had my first in the mid 70's. It took me 35 years to get my second TC. I simply don't think the data is sufficient to even try to predict the chances of 2x after 1X, not enough guys have survived long enough to know. Periodic U/S sounds like a good idea to me, it's relatively inexpensive, absolutely safe, & only a bit embarrassing. I think they made the right decision.

Dave
              Last edited by Davepet; 02-03-17, 12:21 AM.
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• S P
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Dave, yeah the statistics I've seen for the rate of men getting TC twice have been all over the map. I don't like to quote any numbers, but personally, I think it's more common than some of the statistics have shown.
                www.stevepake.com
                C
                ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• unotesticulo
                  • Jan 2017

Given the risk of getting a cancer in testiculo dos, I have to wonder if it makes sense to have a pre-emptive second orchiectomy. Of course, I imagine that kills fertility, but at some point, that won't be an issue. Also, I guess it would mess with your hormone levels. Maybe not worth it. I suppose it depends on those odds.
                  11/16/16 Went to primary care complaining of testicular pain. Wrongly diagnosed with epididymitis. Told not to worry, it'll go away on its own.
                  12/8/16 Diagnosed with TC in left testicle.
                  12/9/16 Left I/O.
                  1/5/17 Tumor Markers officially back to normal -- Stage 1A with 70% EC.
                  1/26/17 Robotic RPLND using left MSKCC template as primary treatment.
                  2/2/17 Pathology results: pN0. They say I still have a 10% relapse chance.
                  5/9/18 One and a half year all clear.

Comment

• JeskiM69
                    • May 2014

Uno,

I had that same thought after I finished BEP....to get a pre-emptive Orchiectomy on my remaining guy.

I asked my Urologist about it at a checkup and she was dead set against it. You would need to go onto Testosterone treatments for the rest of your life, the surgery would be unnecessary, no insurance would cover it, it's likely to clash against medical ethics, any/all surgeries carry risks, time, money, fertility, etc.

It's best just to monitor the remaining guy....at least we are at the point that we are more aware and more apt to find something amiss anyways.

- Matt
                    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                    LDH never fully normalized
                    Stage: IS
                    Watchful Waiting
                    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                    May 12th: started 3xBEP
                    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                    September 4th: Port removed
                    Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• Davepet
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by unotesticulo View Post
                      Given the risk of getting a cancer in testiculo dos, I have to wonder if it makes sense to have a pre-emptive second orchiectomy. Of course, I imagine that kills fertility, but at some point, that won't be an issue. Also, I guess it would mess with your hormone levels. Maybe not worth it. I suppose it depends on those odds.
                      Yes, you would need testosterone for the rest oif your life, & would be unable to naturally become a father. Considering that many may never get #2, and that those that do may have many years before it happens, plus having a reliable detection method & high degree of curability, I doubt anyone would seriously consider an early removal.

Dave

Comment

• biwi
                        • Jun 2015

I would bet that most people with TC#2 generally catch it quite early, being very vigilant about self examination. Catching it in stage 1 or 2 has very high odds for cure.
                        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac

Comment

• unotesticulo
                          • Jan 2017

Very high odds of cure, sure. But if you've already done 3xBEP or 4xBEP, the prospect of doing another 3 or 4 BEP's doesn't sound so light. I don't know what 6-8 rounds of BEP does to you, but I shudder at the prospect. Hell, a lot of us (myself included) choose RPLND as primary treatment over adjuvant chemo because the unknown effects of 1xBEP scares us. Dave, I agree with you in the case of people who are still chemo-naive, that few would even consider it. But for those post-chemo, I don't think it's such an open-and-shut case.
                          11/16/16 Went to primary care complaining of testicular pain. Wrongly diagnosed with epididymitis. Told not to worry, it'll go away on its own.
                          12/8/16 Diagnosed with TC in left testicle.
                          12/9/16 Left I/O.
                          1/5/17 Tumor Markers officially back to normal -- Stage 1A with 70% EC.
                          1/26/17 Robotic RPLND using left MSKCC template as primary treatment.
                          2/2/17 Pathology results: pN0. They say I still have a 10% relapse chance.
                          5/9/18 One and a half year all clear.

Comment

• Davepet
                            • Mar 2010

I'm not sure if BEP would be an option for 2x if you had it the first time.

Comment

• biwi
                              • Jun 2015

Yeah, you guys make a good point. The BEP would take care of the cancer (its new in tc2, not chemo resistant), but the cumulative side effects of 3 more rounds is likely to severely increase side effects and chance of leukemia later.

Comment

Working...
                              X