Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A port for 1 round? Never seen that before, you'd be fine with an IV as a port has it's own small issues.

But if that's protocal fair enough, but I don't think you need it.
    24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
    Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
    Pre/o CT Clear
    Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
    Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
    Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
    Borderline stage 2B/3B
    BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
    CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

I highly respect Dr. Gilligan as a testicular cancer expert but I would question the need for a port, depending on how good my veins were for regular IV access. It seems a bit excessive for one round of chemotherapy. I'm actually a bit surprised that insurance wouldn't reject it as well. However, if you get a port then it is no big deal either. It is just that ports and picc lines do seem to increase the risk of blood clot issues so for myself I would prefer to avoid them.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

I'm not really sure about the insurance, I'm hoping the Dr. has cleared it with them as they have with the rest of the procedures/scans. It wasn't too bad, just a bit achy. The good thing is it can be used for blood draws and IV contrast so hopefully it'll come in handy.
        26 Cleveland, OH
        3/01/17 - Found lump on right testicle
        4/21/17 - Went to ER. 4x3.7x2.5 cm tumor in right testicle
        4/22/17- Pre/op LDH 194, AFP 41, HCG 46, CT scan clear, X-ray clear
        4/27/17 - Right I/O. Non-seminoma with LVI. 70% EC, 20% Yolk Sac, 10% Teratoma
        5/16/17 - Markers normalize, CT clear. Stage 1B
        5/22/17 - Start 1xBEP

Comment

Hi Zicarias, I see that your in Cleveland. Would you recommend the urological oncologist you are seeing? My son's doctors office is suppose to call him with a referral to a oncologist. It took us a week to get the Dr to call us back with blood marker results just to tell us well you could go with the RPLND surgery or chemo - go talk to oncologist and my office will call you back with a name and a number. Not sure I'm trusting this current Urologist that performed the I/O anymore. So looking for suggestions. Thank you

Comment

Hi Ann, sorry for th delayed response. Yes I'm in Cleveland and received treatment at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Wahib Issac did my I/O and I decided to have adjuvant 1xBEP since I was stage 1B. Dr. Abdo Haddad is my medical oncologist and he has been fantastic. I did see two urology surgeons who specialized in RPLND to evaluate that option. Dr. Ryan Berglund was great and very helpful. Had I chose that option, or if I ever need it in the future I would use him. Dr. Anthony Avallone was the other, but I did not like his attitude or approach. I hope this helps, good luck
            26 Cleveland, OH
            3/01/17 - Found lump on right testicle
            4/21/17 - Went to ER. 4x3.7x2.5 cm tumor in right testicle
            4/22/17- Pre/op LDH 194, AFP 41, HCG 46, CT scan clear, X-ray clear
            4/27/17 - Right I/O. Non-seminoma with LVI. 70% EC, 20% Yolk Sac, 10% Teratoma
            5/16/17 - Markers normalize, CT clear. Stage 1B
            5/22/17 - Start 1xBEP

Comment

Working...
            X