X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

Starting to feel normal thankfully!

The 5 day treatement was pretty rough and the shot of bleo on Tuesday kinda knocked me on my butt, but I woke up this morning feeling good! How were other people's experiences? Did they have a similar feeling of the long week knocks 'em out but started to get normal heading into the next long week? I'm just happy to be feeling this good at this point. Whatever EC I may have lingering doesn't stand a chance!
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

One random side effect. It often feels like I have a lump in my throats when I swallow. Nothing so big that it stops me from eating or drinking but definitely there. It isn't painful in anyway though, anyone experience this? I've read this can happen and usually will fix itself a few weeks once treatment is over.
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
      • Dec 2016

Good on you, man! The throat is most probably nothing, but it's good to tell oncologist or nurse to make sure, chemo has its fair share of weirdness...
      July 2016 - Left I/O
      December 2016 - BEPx3
      All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
      My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
      First Oncologist Visit Checklist
      Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by dcalandrelli View Post
        One random side effect. It often feels like I have a lump in my throats when I swallow. Nothing so big that it stops me from eating or drinking but definitely there. It isn't painful in anyway though, anyone experience this? I've read this can happen and usually will fix itself a few weeks once treatment is over.

I would just mention that you are having it. Have you been having heartburn at all? I once had a muscle spam in my esophagus due to excessive heartburn. It felt just like I had a lump stuck in my throat but went away with a stomach acid reducer.

Mike
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
          • Apr 2017

Haven't noticed any heart burn but it makes sense that I may have had some early on. I'll call my doctor tomorrow see what they think about acid reducers. I felt a slight tingle for a day last week but didn't think anything of it until now.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
            • Apr 2017

Also thank you all so much for the support during this time. I try to be as positive as possible but sometimes I slip and come here and read the success stories. It's great the Einhorn himself gave me close to 100% chemo alone cures me and I've seen others with 100% EC he gave the same assurance that are still alive and well! The only 100% EC stories I've seen not end well started pretty advanced and thankfully I caught mine much earlier than that. Just having you all say we did it too we made it helps a lot. I just hope my positivity helps others with 100% EC and TC in general!

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              • Apr 2008

My heartburn was very obvious and had been for a while so who knows if that is your issue but I just wanted to mention it. I would certainly just bring it up to your treatment team. Even, 100% EC is highly curable, as Dr. Einhorn mentioned. I know it is easier said than done but I would try to focus on getting through each day of treatments and in 2 months you will be on your way to a long healthy life.

Mike
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              Surveillance...

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• Trekga
                • Jan 2017

dcalandrelli : Grant took heartburn meds 2x a day, but he had reflux prior to chemo. My son is still under 18 so his experience might not be what most TC patients undergo with sideffects from BEP. He definitely had days of less energy espically during 5day of his last cycle. Ringing in the ears, and nausea/vomitting at least one time each cycle. Grant actually was more tired by 2nd Bleo shot due to low Neurophil counts. For some reason he never recieved shots to help with that.
                Hang in there!!!!
                Son Grant
                dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
                  • Apr 2017

Been taking heart burn medication the past few days. Noticing a huge difference after just two days! Thanks again!

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by dcalandrelli View Post
                    Been taking heart burn medication the past few days. Noticing a huge difference after just two days! Thanks again!

I am glad to hear that it is helping. I would definitely mention it to the team though.

Mike
                    06.26.06 Left I/O
                    Surveillance...

Comment

• dcalandrelli
                      • Apr 2017

I called them and told them the situation before I took any acid reducers. I asked if the medication was okay before I went ahead. Doctor didn't seem worried and said let's see if it gets better after this (which it appears it is).

Comment

• Daniel_Eye
                        • Feb 2017

Hi dcalandrelli

The long weeks are always the toughest. Each cycle got progressively more difficult for me. Thankfully I had my last bleo shot this past Tuesday (5/23/17) and I feel okay. I did end up with a fungal infection known as oral thrush because I was taking antibiotics for skin inflammation. If you feel like you have the taste of yeast in your mouth make sure to let your doctor know. Which cycle are you on currently?

Comment

• dcalandrelli
                          • Apr 2017

I start number 2 Monday. Currently having no side effects which is good. I know it's only cycle one but better no side effects then a ton I assume.

Comment

• Daniel_Eye
                            • Feb 2017

yeah I did pretty well my first cycle but the second one is where it all starts. Just be prepared.

Comment

• Zicarias
                              • May 2017

I'm heading into week 2 of my one cycle. So far only side effects have been nausea and fatigue which I'm thankful for. I've been able to keep the heartburn away with Nexium
                              26 Cleveland, OH
                              3/01/17 - Found lump on right testicle
                              4/21/17 - Went to ER. 4x3.7x2.5 cm tumor in right testicle
                              4/22/17- Pre/op LDH 194, AFP 41, HCG 46, CT scan clear, X-ray clear
                              4/27/17 - Right I/O. Non-seminoma with LVI. 70% EC, 20% Yolk Sac, 10% Teratoma
                              5/16/17 - Markers normalize, CT clear. Stage 1B
                              5/22/17 - Start 1xBEP

Comment

Working...
                              X