X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulky seminoma 4XEP experience, AFP levels

Hi to all TC warriors. I found lot of useful information here since my father started fighting tc 5 months ago, and now decided to search for some advice or similar experience.

Quick story:
    01/10/2017 - age 64, diagnosed with pure seminoma, stage IIC. Left testicle small mass + 2 large

abdominal lymph nodes, 10x9 cm and 5x6 cm.
    Markers levels: bHCG 9,2, AFP 2,6, LDH 326.

01/15/2017 - orchiectomy

01/17/2017 - start 4XEP chemo. Bleo avoided because of age, despite overall good health.

04/17/2017 - end of chemo, no cycles postponement

Currently waiting for PET/CT, begining of June.

I have two concerns:

1. Markers were measured before each chemo cycle. There was an AFP elevation after 1st cycle.

Climbed to 4,0 and consistent at 4,0 throughout all chemo treatment.
    Last test before 4th cycle, AFP still 4,0.
    Other markers went down after 1st cycle (bHCG 0, LDH below 200) and stable on succeeding tests.
    Is there anybody with elevation of AFP after starting chemo? Should I be worried about small

pieces of non seminoma components not discovered on histology?

2. I'm also worried about EP efficiency against large abdominal masses. Most of guys with bulky

seminoma had 3XBEP which is considered a bit better weapon for cases like this.
    Any guy with bulky masses treated with 4XEP here?
    I found an article saying 85% of abdominal masses greather then 10cm on presentation recur. This
    sounds scary :-(
    We were told by oncologist that seminoma is highly curable even with large mets.

Thanks a lot,
    wish you all all the best

Wouldn't be worried about that AfP. Still well in the normal range and if no non seminoma components were found wouldn't be worried.

Never heard that 85% fact, don't think that's true or it could come with another stipulation.
    24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
    Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
    Pre/o CT Clear
    Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
    Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
    Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
    Borderline stage 2B/3B
    BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
    CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

Thanks for info.
      Patiently waiting pet/ct.

Comment

You shouldn't read too much those online articles. That's my advice. My seminoma relapsed but my situation was even worse at the time I got into treatment. There are still a lot of options to take even though it relapsed.
        08-12/2015 Back pain, several epididymitis, fever, night sweats, went to many doctors but nobody thought I had cancer as I had nothing in testicles
        01/2016 Retroperitoneal seminoma stage III, 28cm (tall) mass in retroperitoneum, big masses also in neck
        02-04/2016 3*BEP
        09/2016 Fever again -> relapse, cancer now in lungs too
        09/2016 2*TIP
        10/2016 1*HDC with stem cell transplant -> almost died to severe side effects, one week in ICU, 2nd round skipped
        02/2017 RPLND (21 hours!) - one week in ICU again, found necrosis/fibrosis only -> all clear!

Comment

28cm turned into dead tissue.
          ​Tough fight but succesful.

That's encouraging!

Comment

Great news

EDIT: I read that wrong, but still great news for stufax again.

Hopefully your father has good news also!
            Last edited by Nish115; 06-01-17, 09:04 PM.
            24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
            Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
            Pre/o CT Clear
            Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
            Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
            Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
            Borderline stage 2B/3B
            BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
            CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

stufax's case is encouraging..
              I'll post my fathers pet/ct scan in 2 weeks.
              Thanks anyway :-)
              Hope it'll be good news

Comment

Quick info: Pet/CT result were negative, largest node size decreased to 4cm.. Currently on surveillance, CT ordered in December.
                ​However PET discovered large mass in colon. Complicated surgery of part of colon and biopsy revealed pre cancerous polyp, catched maybe few months before going nasty according to doctors.
                He's recovering well now, looking forward to seminoma checkup. After 9 months life seems to getting back to normal.

Thanks to all forum members! Keep fighting!

Comment

Quick info: Pet/CT result were negative, largest node size decreased to 4cm.. Currently on surveillance, CT ordered in December.
                  ​However PET discovered large mass in colon. Complicated surgery of part of colon and biopsy revealed pre cancerous polyp, catched maybe few months before going nasty according to doctors.
                  He's recovering well now, looking forward to seminoma checkup. After 9 months life seems to getting back to normal.

Thanks to all forum members! Keep fighting!

Comment

Working...
                  X