X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

Pure embryonal to teratoma? Questions

Met with my oncologist today and he said the post chemo scan we will do really with be looking for cysts and teratomas. My original diagnosis was 100% EC. He wasn't concerned about embryonal still being around after 3xBEP. I've read that without chemo embryonal over time can turn into teratoma, but how common is it to have teratoma in the lymph with original diagnosis of 100% EC. I've personally only read about teratomas showing up without them being part of the original diagnosis in late stage or with mixed cell. Is it uncommon to develop teratoma with 100% embryonal being treated fairly early?
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!
  • jpboucher
    • Jan 2016

Hey,

From what I read and searched last year on this, it seems to happen in 7 - 10 % according to two cohort data, one in Toronto, Canada, and the other one in NYC, USA.

I have started a post on this forum, where you can find the references. Here's the link

Hello all, I have noticed that many guys here have presented recently with pure EC, which is surprising since the low prevalence of this kind of tumor. I have gathered some data on pure EC for those guys here who have this form of TC. Sorry for the long post, guys ! When I came to this forum, I had much

Hope that helps,

jp
    December 15, 2015 : Right I/O. Markers normal.
    December 24, 2015 : Merry Christmas ! 100 % pure EC, no LVI.
    January 7, 2016 : CT scan : 2 RPLN of 8 and 9 mm
    February 2016 : Markers normal.
    March 2016 : Markers normal.
    April 2016 : Abnormal B-HCG (43). 14 mm (from 8) and 10 mm (from 9) lymph nodes.
    April 25, 2016 : Happy birthday ! Relapsed confirmed.
    May 2, 2016 : BEP x 3 begins.
    July 3, 2016 : BEP x 3 ends.
    July 2016 : Serum tumor markers normal. 10 mm (from 14) and 6 mm (from 10) lymph nodes. Back on surveillance !
    December 23, 2016 : Merry Christmas ! Serum tumor markers normal. 6.8 mm (from 10) and no more visible (from 6) lymph nodes. Surveillance continues.
    June 2017 : Serum tumor markers normal. 4 mm (from 7 mm) lymph node. Surveillance continues.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
      • Apr 2017

Thank you this is very helpful! It seems unlikely my EC would transform since I jumped on chemo early, but still a possibility I should be aware of. Odds seem in my favor! I appreciate all your effort on your research!
      3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

I am no doctor, nor am I an expert, but since teratoma is defined as "normal cells growing in abnormal places" by the Testicular Cancer Resource Center Dictionary, I suspect that the cases attributed to "transformation" of EC to teratoma are actually cases where teratoma was already present, but not detected.If it is indeed possible for a cancer cell to transform into a normal cell in the wrong place, I have seen no studies showing how that might happen. I suspect we need better infomation on this topic.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• biwi
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
          I am no doctor, nor am I an expert, but since teratoma is defined as "normal cells growing in abnormal places" by the Testicular Cancer Resource Center Dictionary, I suspect that the cases attributed to "transformation" of EC to teratoma are actually cases where teratoma was already present, but not detected.If it is indeed possible for a cancer cell to transform into a normal cell in the wrong place, I have seen no studies showing how that might happen. I suspect we need better infomation on this topic.

Dave
          I think it seems reasonable though, given how typically it happens in lymph nodes already involved with EC, such as in my case. Based on the terratoma growth rate I had, it would be one heck of a coincinence if I had a small teratoma at birth that just happened to grow in my lymph node only when I had EC TC.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
          4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• dcalandrelli
            • Apr 2017

I wonder if it follows a hierarchy of transforming from EC, to yolk, to teratoma. I've noticed teratomas pop up more in mixed cells than pure cells. Not an expert at all just a trend I've noticed. Timing also seems to be a factor. I've noticed teratomas seem to pop up when it's caught later or during relapses when it's had more time to possibly transform.

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              • Apr 2008

Germ cell tumors are tumors of differentiation meaning that less specialized cells have the ability to become more specialized cells. As far as teratoma it basically arrises out of differentiation of embryonal cells and to an extent yolk sac cells to teratoma. I have attached a nice image from a presentation Dr. Bosl gave at the American Society of Clinical Oncology in 2016 to help show what I am saying.

Mike
              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
              Surveillance...
              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
                • Apr 2017

Interesting thank you very much! Hopefully we started my chemo early enough that it didn't get the chance to transform and I avoid additional surgery!

Comment

Working...
                X