X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relapse after almost 6 years of all clear, starting 3 BEP tomorow 7/31/17

Hi I haven't been in here for a while, since 2014 I start working hard to get rip off my depression and anxiety from my first diagnosis, I start living a very healthy life, lose weight, no alcohol, never smoke but stay away from, therapy etc . 2017 finally start getting results and finally feeling cancer free, my doctor put on ct scans once year since 2015 because no signs of diseased all clear even tumor markers, June start feeling some pain in my groin and lower back, went to doctor tumor maker fine, she sends me to my annual ct scan , surprise enlarge limp node 6cm,5cm , on my left side next to the aorta, Went for ct biopsy results seminoma tumor, got refer to Lombardi Cancer Institute in Georgetown U Washington Dc to see Dr George Phillips and his team, went to ultrasound for my right testicle to rule out another tumor results fine , so I relapse from the first now chemo , I'm positive but totally devastated ,I was starting College Again, making plans , good work, feeling the emotional chain from cancer was gone, then tomorrow 3BEP very nice team but this really sucks, sorry I hope somebody can read this, but just venting, one question anybody who did this chemo treatment has been able to continue doing well in class and some work? Im going to try to continue everybody at work and college been very supported but I had, to be honest, I'm very scared. But not giving up.

So sorry to hear you had a relapse!! From personal experience I know it's quite a shock... But it sounds you're in good hands and it's your chances are sky high!! I took time off work for 3xBEP, but to be honest, I could have worked for some of it. Hold off predicting though, how you take it is very personal, but it should not be a nightmare you're afraid of, at least for me it was much better than expected.
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Thank you , last night was very stressful , so I decide to come back here and just start typing and venting after that , I feel a lot better, even sleep very well, some how I stop visiting this website for couple years trying to not overthink, but I know since 2011 this is the best place . Getting ready for my first day, very positive, strong and ready to fight.

Comment

Hey buddy! I live in Arlington and go to Dr. Feigert at Virginia Hospital Center. He is a great doctor and has treated many patients. Highly recommended. BEP will kill this cancer and you will be fine. I am not quite sure if a biopsy would have been recommended given your history.
        Given how young you are, you might handle the chemo just fine.. I'd see how you are doing with the drugs initially and then decide to go to school or not. Please note that you might need surgery after the treatment is over given the 6x5 size.
        Don't worry about school buddy. Focus on your health and relax. You can read books, learn programming, etc. There are a ton of things you can do when you are not at school.
        Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
        Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
        4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
        May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
        Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
        April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
        4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
        2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
        Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
        2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Comment

Thank you Tarc 79 very nice to know there are warriors close. Since I posted I'm reading my message, probably there's some info I'm not delivering correctly, I'm confident with my medical team like Dr. Phillp is focus in this kind of diseases, thanks to knowledge and info this website provides I'm been reviews and following every medical decision base on my previous diagnosis . Like the biopsy they did it in my enlarge limp node but it was approved and consult with my primary Doctor, Urology, oncology and radiology from Lombardy Cancer Institute and they agree in their meeting to do it since the extended time I show all clear and until today I have normal tumor markers, so they want to rule out any other possibility like infection . I appreciate your advice and if I'm very happy you are making me a good advice, always good to know options , just making sure other members, probably new into this don't get my info as medical advice , I'm been totally over well , as today chemo went better than I expected but it's hard one . Sleep four hours this afternoon the soonest I got home and I'm feeling great to even reply this post, I will be updating and giving more details as I get familiar with chemo and this forum, I'm not used post, so sorry any spelling and grammar will improve as I get more relaxed. Thank you again for your support. Also just read your profile and wow I admire basically I haven't done anything compare with my treatment. just honor to the support of a warrior like you.
          Last edited by august1509; 08-01-17, 05:21 AM.

Comment

AUGUST1509~ Sorry to hear about your relapse especially 6 years out! As far as working or going to school during BEPx3, some seem to manage it, but with your immune system low it might be better to focus on tx.
            Son Grant
            dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
            Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
            2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
            Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Thanks Trekga for your advice, just starting my 4 days , things are going better than expected, I think stress plays a big role before you started, it's not easy, but not impossible . One day a the time.

Comment

Yes, one day at a time, exactly!! What helped me was to become selfish and concentrate only on things I enjoyed - my family, hobbies, and not worrying about distractions like work, catching up with people I have to catch up with, in short, doing anything that I didn't feel like doing... What if you had one day left, what would you spend it on?
                July 2016 - Left I/O
                December 2016 - BEPx3
                All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Thanks for your advice Joel , I finish my first full week on Chemo, better than I expected, keeping positive attitude and learning how to adjust to it, this is been very important, Every day a wake it up , and start reading a quote " I will never have this day again, So I have to make it count it in my life" Starting to had good friends in my chemo place which I'm starting to enjoying. Thanks and let's keep positive and moving forward.

Comment

Hi August

I can tell you that as a student I took this past spring semester off to get treatment, I would not advise going to school and getting treatment, Your long weeks are going to get tougher as they come. I also took a leave of absence from work and have yet to return. My cognitive abilities have definitely declined. I find it harder to concentrate even while taking Adderall. I am just giving myself some time until the fall when I start classes again. I did start my summer classes just as chemo was ending and it was definitely a struggle to concentrate especially if you're taking Ativan for sleep/nausea.

Let me know how it goes,
                    Daniel

Comment

August, I'm hoping all goes well for you. Couldn't agree more with the advice given to not overdo it. I look forward to good news!

Ryan
                      9/28/16 - Diagnosed Stage 3C. 10/10/16 - Left I/O. Pathology pure seminoma but treated as non-seminoma due to aggression and high AFP at 58. Largest tumor at 11x9cm. 10/28/16 - Emergency VIP chemo in hospital and 3 additional in-patient cycles. 2/17 - RPLND and tumor masses all dead. 3/17 Remission and surveillance. 7/17 - First imaging clear.

Comment

Hi thank for everybody support, so far chemo is going well. I must have to agree you have to take easy, side effects been manageable but they are not funny. Going today for one infusion. Thanks again I will keep updating with any news.Thank Have a wonderful day warrior.

Comment

Hey Buddy just checking in see how you are doing. How far along are you now?

August, I do have a question for you, when you were first diagnosed did you do any treatment after the orchiectomy or did you stay on surveillance? I was wondering if this is a relapse after chemo because many of the posters as well as myself have been conducting ongoing conversations about relapsing after primary treatment. By the way, picking surveillance was not a bad idea if you did. Chemo is only good to do if it is ultimately needed like in your case now.

Keep in touch,
                          Daniel

Comment

Hi the answer is not I was under surveillance after my orchiectomy since I did not have signs invasion and not enlarge lymph nodes in my abdomen, they gradually start reducing my ct scans as the guidelines say since I was clear all the time , so in late 2015 they say to do a ct scan once a year and blood work every six months, some how I did only blood work 2016 which is my full mistake and irresponsibility, thinking I was cancer free, I did the ct scan in May 2017 and surprise I got cancer , if I didn't miss my 2016 ct scan probably will catch it earlier and smaller , still is just in one lymph node but its 6cm by 6cm which is big the way the radiologist explain me. Luckily is a seminoma so chemo works very well. Hope you understand my response, happy to provide more details anytime.

Comment

AUGUST~ do not blame yourself, I think many men after year 5 decrease their scans and blood work.Wishing you the best
                              Son Grant
                              dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                              Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                              2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                              Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Working...
                              X