Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My situation

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My situation

    Hi everyone,

    I'm new to the board and was diagnosed with TC in early August. Here are the details:

    2.1cm tumor
    Surgery to remove lest testicle on 7/28
    Pathology came back as a T1 pure seminoma (encouraging)
    CT scan came back clean (very encouraging)

    Have my oncology appointment tomorrow and expect to be given (3) options:

    Surveillance
    Low dose radiation to area lymph nodes
    Single dose of Carboplatin

    I feel really good post surgery and am very fortunate to have caught this early. Are my expectations above regarding treatment options reasonable considering my test results? I will opt for radiation or carboplatin if those options reduce the recurrence rate to less than 5% (according to my research).

  • #2
    Hi.

    I was seminoma T2 in October 2016. I elected for the Carboplatin route to give me the best chances of doing this 'once only'.

    It was quite tolerable. Surveillance or Carbo - I don't think there is a wrong option.

    I was steered away from radiotherapy due to risk of secondary malignancies.

    I'm in Scotland btw.

    Best wishes
    Steve

    Comment


    • #3
      I was in a similar position as you with seminoma and chose surveillance. It came back later in my lymph nodes and I went through chemo after that which sorted it out. I'll state the obvious - do whatever you feel comfortable with! Any percentages are just indications, not a rule. Back at the time I made the choice for surveillance and I don't regret it because that was right for me at the time...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IrishRob View Post
        Are my expectations above regarding treatment options reasonable considering my test results? I will opt for radiation or carboplatin if those options reduce the recurrence rate to less than 5% (according to my research).
        Yor expectations sound about right.Where does your doc put your current risk of recurrence? Unless further treatment reduces your chances of recurrence by 25% or more, I would not go there. The treatment have risks of there own, after all. JMHO.

        Dave

        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

        Comment


        • #5
          Hope appointment went well. Let us know what you and your dr decided.
          17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
          pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
          pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
          r/o 12/22/16
          Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
          PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

          -80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
          2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
          BEP x 3 1/27/17
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

          Comment

          Working...
          X