X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemo and Pregnancy

Hello, I've done some research and it seems somewhat hard to determine, but right now I am on a surveillance with a suspicion i may need chemo in the future. However my wife and I have been wondering, if we try to get pregnant, and then I need chemo, is there any risk to her and the baby? My oncologist says there is no risk, however I have found many things that says you need to stay away from each other for a few days, but that may have been different cancers/chemo treatments.

Thanks!

Ask your oncologist for the specific time periods. You should not have sex once you start chemo until a certain amount of time after your last infusion. Especially with a pregnant woman. You also should not attempt to get pregnant for a certain period of time after chemo for risk of birth defects. But after a certain period of time (again ask oncologist) it is perfectly fine to try.

As far as non-sexual contact, I would just limit skin-to-skin during and 2-3 weeks after chemo and then you should be fine. Chemo does seem like it comes out of your skin pores during treatment. Wash your sheets regularly and wear clothes when sitting in chairs, etc.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    9/18/2017 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Thanks for your input! Our biggest worry is getting pregnant, finding out I need Chemo and her not being able to support me physically/mentally while she was pregnant.

Comment

Great advice by BIWI. Just maybe you will be able to stay on surveillance.
        17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
        pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
        pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
        r/o 12/22/16
        Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
        PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
        2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
        BEP x 3 1/27/17
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Originally posted by 9formula6z View Post
          Thanks for your input! Our biggest worry is getting pregnant, finding out I need Chemo and her not being able to support me physically/mentally while she was pregnant.
          Pregnancy is relatively easy compared to once the baby comes out : P That is when life gets busy!

On the physical side, other than travels to/from the infusion center (you shouldn't drive yourself as you will probably be sleepy, queasy, and not all there mentally) you generally will be able to take care of yourself. Emotionally everyone is different, I am generally not a real emotional person so this whole thing was actually tougher on my wife than it was on me. It was really tough for her as we had a 6 month old when I started my 3 month chemo regime. So I could barely take care of our child for 3 months and she was driving me to chemo, still working (often remotely beside me at chemo), and taking care of our child when not at daycare. You guys will get through it if need be.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          9/18/2017 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Working...
          X