X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mick
    • Oct 2017

Residual Pelvic Mass

My 18 year old son was diagnosed in June with Stage IIC bulky seminoma. He had a burnt out testicular tumor and a 15 cm seminoma mass in his retroperitoneal area. He completed 3x/BEP and went for CT scan on10/6 it revealed a 5 cm residual mass in his pelvic area. We are scheduled for a PET scan to determine if it is viable tumor or necrosis. Can someone please share what is to come if mass is active cancer? Thank you.
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

Not a doctor but I’d guess surgical removal. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in though.
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

• Mick
      • Oct 2017

Thanks for your response. Has anyone here had a residual seminoma mass removed sugically (not RPLND)? I understand the chemo turns the tumor into a sticky mess which makes the surgery complicated.

Comment

• Trekga
        • Jan 2017

So sorry to hear. Hopefully someone with Seminoma can answer soon.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• stufax
          • Jul 2016

My guess is that it's probably dead tissue. I had quite large residual tumors as well. If it's still viable cancer it's probably RPLND next or more chemo (TIP/HDC). RPLND is more complicated but definetly possible. Been there.
          08-12/2015 Back pain, several epididymitis, fever, night sweats, went to many docs but nobody thought I have cancer as had nothing in testicles
          01/2016 Retroperitoneal seminoma stage III, huge masses in retroperitoneum and also in neck
          02-04/2016 3*BEP
          09/2016 Fever again -> relapse confirmed, cancer now in lungs too
          09/2016 1*TIP + 1*TI
          10/2016 1*HDC autologous -> almost died to toxicity, one week in ICU, 2nd round skipped
          02/2017 RPLND (21 hours huh) - 4 days in ICU again, found necrosis/fibrosis only!
          2017-2024 All good

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            • Apr 2008

Hi Mick,

I am a bit confused. Is this 5 cm pelvic mass new or are you saying it is a pelvic mass from the previous 15 cm retroperitoneal mass? Are his tumor markers normal? How long has it been from the time he ended BEP until the PET scan (typically waiting at least 6 weeks to avoid any false positives is what I have seen recommended).

Mike
            Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
            06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
            06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
            Surveillance...
            Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
            6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• Mick
              • Oct 2017

Hi Mike- the mass is post chemo -left over from the original 15 cm mass. His tumor markers are normal. His CT scan was about 4 weeks after chemo. He will be getting his PET scan 10/30 about 6 weeks after last BEP.

Comment

• Mick
                • Oct 2017

Hi Stufax- I've been following your posts. So glad to hear you are all clear. Our oncologist said surgery wouldn't be RPLND because the mass is in the pelvic area not a lymph node so it wouldn't be a lymph node dissection. Was your mass in the lymph nodes in retroperitoneal area?

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                  Hi Mike- the mass is post chemo -left over from the original 15 cm mass. His tumor markers are normal. His CT scan was about 4 weeks after chemo. He will be getting his PET scan 10/30 about 6 weeks after last BEP.
                  If the PET scan is negative then I would assume that they may just watch things. If it is positive, then I am guessing that they would surgically remove the tumor (being a retroperitoneal mass that is in the pelvis makes me wonder if they would do an RPLND+Pelvic lymph node dissection) and if positive for active seminoma face second line chemotherapy. I am not sure where your son is located or being treated but getting the opinion of a testis cancer expert is probably a good idea. Our friends at the TCRC keep a list at: http://tcrc.acor.org/experts.html

I am sure that there is more information out there but for example, the team at Memorial Sloan-Kettering has published on pelvic node dissections at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27235751

Mike

Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                  06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                  06.26.06 Left I/O
                  06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                  06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                  Surveillance...
                  Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                  6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
                  X