Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have TC and other serious illness?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have TC and other serious illness?

I was wondering if anyone else has concurrently managed another serious illness? I guess I am a double survivor. I have systemic lupus which nearly killed me 10 years ago. I spent three years on disability and many more years trying to put my life back together again. Now I have TC. One good thing to come out of my experience with lupus is that I always get things checked out immediately. I had the orchiectomy about 2 weeks ago and Iíll be meeting with an oncologist next week to discuss chemo. The urologist said it would probably be a single cycle of carboplatin but Iíve been looking around online and it seems that carboplatin can cause drug induced lupus flare ups.

Has anybody had to take another health problem into consideration when deciding which treatment option to pursue?

Thankfully, this situation is relatively rare, based on my recollection of what others have posted, especially the possibility of a Lupus flareup caused by chemo. All I can say is to be sure to discuss your prior conditions extensively with your doc. TC is rare enough, TC while having another serious condition is even more so.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Your Oncologist should be able to reach out to Dr. Einhorn at IU if needed. So sorry you are dealing with this extra challenge while seeking treatment for TC.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
      Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

Working...
      X