Swelling in groin/incision area a week after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lautreamont
    • Jan 2018

Swelling in groin/incision area a week after surgery?

Was wondering if anyone had similar experience. Had the Orchiectectomy exactly a week ago. For the first 5 days it will all smooth sailing. Never used painkillers. I started being more active (longer walks, doing chores) and now the area from the incision to base of penis (groin?) is swollen. Slightly red but not significant enough to call it bruising. Only on the side of the incision. Definitely painful. I even had to take serious painkillers last night. I called the on-call urologist and because I have no fever, there is no discharge, since I can urinate just fine, and since there is no swelling of scrotum itself, she told me it looked normal and that swelling can come back and forth. I told her I started wearing compression pants and walking more, she said to continue. I feel it's the efforts (I can tell when I push a little harder it hurts more) that are causing it. Any recommendations? Is it possible compression pants were too tight? I will definitely follow up with my urologist surgeon office on Monday. Just strange this started 5 days after surgery.
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

I can't imagine wearing anything that wasn't loose fitting for at least 2 weeks post I/O..I would lose the compression shorts & ease up on the intensity of your exercise. If you feel it, you are overdoing it.Give yourself a chance to recuperate.

Also, cold compresses will help with pain & swelling. Frozen peas work well sine they will conform to the area nicely.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• lautreamont
      • Jan 2018

Thanks Dave. I do think the compression may have put too much pressure. I understand they want to avoid blood clots but loose just feels better (as long as you have support for scrotum). I did use some cold compress and it helped. Taking it easy today. Small walks in the garden but that's it.

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by lautreamont View Post
        Thanks (as long as you have support for scrotum).
        Well, as a person who has not worn any support for my scrotum for 50+ years. I can say isn't likely to be helpful at all. Totally unneeded, IMHO.

Dave

Comment

• StaticX
          • Oct 2017

I could only wear sweatpants for almost a month because anything else hurt, I also took 2 weeks off work to relax and let my body heal. I can't imagine wearing anything tight over the incision, I remember jeans hurting really bad

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

First time I tried to wear jeans ( & I don't wear particularly tight jeans) I gave up on the idea for a few more weeks. Sweatpants rule after an I/O.
            Dave

Comment

• eodtech2001
              • Feb 2012

I just had surgery on the 19th of jan to remove scar tissue that had built up from the I/O that was causing all kind of nerve pain in my groin. They went in through the same site as the I/O. Its still pretty tender and i have worn jersey shorts everyday since then. It will get better over time. Just let your body be your guide. You can try wearing jeans for a little bit and when its starts to feel umcomfortable its time to change out into something less pressing.
              Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
              Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
              Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
              Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
              April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
              May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
              August 7th 2012- BEP complete
              April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
              May 2013 RPLND
              Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
              Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
              Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
              Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
              Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• lautreamont
                • Jan 2018

Thanks all! I sent pics of the swelling to my urologist and he confirmed this was expected. So I am just going to keep walking to let the blood flow and wear loose clothing until it goes back to normal.

Comment

• lautreamont
                  • Jan 2018

Swelling confirmed by CT Scan. I know it happens after surgery (body fills the newly empty space with fluids) but man I hope it goes away. 10 days and still there.
                  Abdominal wall: Mild infiltration at the left anterior subcutaneous tissues at the level of the pelvis is likely related to recent left orchiectomy, with a small left subcutaneous fluid collection with partial rim enhancing without gas. (Seeing urologist on Wed)

One more question: For the past 3 days my right testis (well my ONLY testis now) has been hurting. Obviously I am not suspecting a mass there since it had gone through Ultrasound just a month ago and was clear. So what can be causing this? I had a cold this week (wife and kid gave that to me). Could it be related?

Comment

• vpirh
                    • Sep 2017

Dude. I had a cold a few weeks ago. And my survivor was hurting. (That went away once I stopped having fever). It concerned me enough that I did an ultrasound, which was “normal”.

Comment

• lautreamont
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by vpirh View Post
                      Dude. I had a cold a few weeks ago. And my survivor was hurting. (That went away once I stopped having fever). It concerned me enough that I did an ultrasound, which was “normal”.
                      Thanks. Will mention it to my doctor and see what he says. Last ultrasound was in January so about a month ago. Hopefully will go back to normal once cold clears. I wonder how fast TC grows .. How long had it been for you between the surgery and that pain?

Comment

• vpirh
                        • Sep 2017

6 months. I had pain together with the cold. So I attributed it to it. (And I probably made it worse because once I detected that ball is sore I probably started to over check it and it only made it more sore)

Comment

• Addictedangel
                          • Aug 2017

My husband had swelling around his incision, it felt hard and a little warm but not concerning...until about day 6 he woke up in the middle of the night soaked in blood and body fluid. Called his surgeon at 3am, surgeon saw him by 8am.. all to find out that if theres any fat in the area it may turn to liquid rather than hold a stitch. For the next month we had to push and fluid out of his incision and gauze it 6 times a day. It did eventually heal though (all he ever ore was basketball shorts) so it could just be the way your body is healing on the inside
                          Crystal wife to Jonny (30) diagnosed

1/28/2015: got sick after dirt bike riding, right testicle swelling
                          5/2015: saw a dr who said it was torsion but since the swelling "went down" we shouldn't worry
                          02/2017: swelling increased tremendously no longer "went down"
                          07/24/2017: had realistic dream telling him it was cancer, went to ER, was told it was never torsion and the tumor was cancer
                          Afp: 4759
                          Hcg: <1
                          Ldh: 258
                          07/28/2017: right orchiectomy ct scans all clear
                          08/04/2017: nonseminoma stage 1 no invasion 40% ec 60% yolk
                          08/28/2017: pet-ct and brain ct due to headaches
                          Afp: 11.8
                          Hcg: <2
                          Ldh: 138
                          09/06/2017: pet and brain clear
                          09/18/2017 afp down to 2.9! Stage 1a
                          10/02/2017 1xbep starts

Comment

• lautreamont
                            • Jan 2018

My urologist ordered a new ultrasound of my remaining testis. Given that that testis was clear on the last ultrasound (a month ago when tumor was found in the other one) how likely is it that a tumor appeared over the course of 30 days? Now I am back to worried...

Comment

• Davepet
                              • Mar 2010

It is not very likely at all..

Comment

Working...
                              X