X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for what to Bring for the RPLND Hospital Stay

I've got a RPLND scheduled for March 13th. Kinda glad the NCAA tournament is going on that week to keep me occupied.

I'm just wondering what you brought with you to the hospital that you're glad you did and what you didn't that you wish you had.

You will be hopped up on enough meds that your cellphone, cellphone charger, and the in-room TV will be all you really need as far as entertainment. Other keys would be very comfortable, loose fitting clothing for the last day when you get out of your gown, as well as your trip home. Spare clothes too, in case you get blood or other things spilled onto your clothes.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Isiberian - please keep us posted on your RPLND, wishing you a speedy recovery. I will be very interested to follow your journey. My son will find out on March 15th if he will need RPLND, so we maybe a month behind you.

Comment

You might want to take a small throw pillow. You can use it to brace against your stomach when you start trying to sit up. For me the had to switch to an older style bed that sat up higher for the upper torso. Had i had a small throw pill to hold against my scar it woule have made all the difference in the world sitting up. Once you do sit up and start walking you will be that much quicker to go home.
        I had a nurse follow me around the floor when i walked because i refused to cover up my arse from hanging out the gown. I had no shame or modesty going into it.
        Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
        Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
        Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
        Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
        April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
        May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
        August 7th 2012- BEP complete
        April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
        May 2013 RPLND
        Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
        Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
        Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
        Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
        Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Most hospitals have lots of pillows just ask for an extra one.nd yes I recall needing one, especially for sneezing or coughing.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

My son is now 4 weeks post rplnd. We brought all kinds of things to the hospital & he didn't need anything during his 3 day stay that wasn't provided. He only wore the gown provided & no underwear (not a priority). He didn't have much appetite so he didn't want the snacks we brought. They had blankets & pillows. He didn't want his tablet or crossword books. He really only watched a little TV, used his phone a little, walked a little & slept off & on. Between the meds & nursing duties, there's not much time to be bored before you're out. Loose clothing for the trip home is all that was needed. We were at IU.
            Son, Drew-24
            Traumatic brain injury age 12-disabled (not TC related but pertinent to why I'm all in his biz lol)
            4/5/17 Felt testicular pain & swelling
            5/10/17 Told me-called for Dr. appt.
            7/28/17!!! Dr. appt. set
            7/27/17 Went to ER. Increased pain spreading to back & abdomen. Ultrasound & bloodwork-"Looks like a tumor".
            7/28/17 L I/O
            7/31/17 Abd/pelvic/chest CT-Stage 3A
            8/17/17 Port placement
            8/21-11/2/17 BEP X3
            1/25/18 Open bilateral RPLND @ IU- NED (R nerve spared/ L nerve not so lucky)

Comment

I ended up needing my spleen, an adrenal gland, and my pancreas tail removed. I was in the hospital 18 days due to orthostatic hypotension and an infection. Thankfully I'm doing much better now.

I am starting 2x EP because they found living cancer in the masses.

Comment

Working...
              X