Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Scans - Abdomen/Pelvis/Chest

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my 3x BEP treatment last Monday (Feb 12th), and am in the process of scheduling my post-chemo scans (for 6 weeks out). Had a Pure Seminoma tumor, was a on surveillance for 1.5 years, and relapsed with a single 2.7cm enlarged para-aortic lymph node.

My oncologist -- who I think is great, and has consistently followed the appropriate guidelines -- put in an order for a CT Scan of the Abdomen/Pelvis AND Chest. When I asked her why we would need a Chest CT instead of a Chest X-Ray, she mentioned that the Chest CT provides much more information, with a "minimal" increase in radiation (due to the fact that they are performing the CT Scans of both areas at the same time). She also seemed to indicate that she would probably just go with the Chest CT when I move forward into surveillance.

Does this make sense to the rest of you?

I am fine getting the CT of the Chest for this post-chemo scan, but am wondering if the radiation is indeed "minimal" heading into (what I hope is) surveillance.

Many thanks ahead of time!
    Chris

Typically the CT- PET is as warrented. That was per a concersation i had with Dr Einhorn 2 ish years ago. I could see it to stage you and then going forward xray and ct-pet as warranted unless things have changed. Or you could simply email dr Einhorn and ask him directly like i did.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Originally posted by christopherme View Post
      Hi Everyone,

, she mentioned that the Chest CT provides much more information, with a "minimal" increase in radiation (due to the fact that they are performing the CT Scans of both areas at the same time).
      Chris
      That's a very interesting question.
      If done separately CT Scan for Pelvis = 600 mrem CT Scan for Abdomen = 800 mrem and CT Scan for Chest = 700 mrem
      However a CT Scan for "whole body" is only 1275 mrem. What I suspect is by combining all the scans together, the radiation exposure time and organs affected are less than doing them separately.
      It is very possible that CT Pelvis/Abdomen and CT Pelvis/Abdomen/Chest give you close radiation levels simply because you do them all at once...
      I am chatting with some of my friends (work in the Nuclear industry) to find out more.

Comment

Thanks for the insights! Would love to hear any other info on this. I'll definitely speak to my oncologist about it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lautreamont View Post
          If done separately CT Scan for Pelvis = 600 mrem CT Scan for Abdomen = 800 mrem and CT Scan for Chest = 700 mrem
          However a CT Scan for "whole body" is only 1275 mrem. What I suspect is by combining all the scans together, the radiation exposure time and organs affected are less than doing them separately.
          My best guess would be the elimination of "overlap" .Pretty sure when they scan the abdomen, they get part of the pelvis and part of the chest to be sure they can image *ALL* of the abdomen. Doing it all together eliminates some of that .However, just guessing.All of my scans were from top of head to mid thigh, I should glow in the dark I guess.

Dave
          Last edited by Davepet; 02-21-18, 10:53 PM.
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
          X