Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICC Line tomorrow what should be expected?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICC Line tomorrow what should be expected?

My husband is having his PICC line placed tomorrow in preparation for 1xBEP starting Monday. We are feeling nervous about what to expect. We understand the process but was hoping to get some perspective on peoples personal experience. Can anyone share their experience with the PICC line placement process and what it is like having it in for a few weeks? Thanks
    2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
    2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
    3/12/18-4/1/18 Adjuvant BEPx1

I had one in 2003 for IV antibiotics (bad case of pneumonia). Placement was similar to any other IV, takes a bit longer & they did an xray to be sure it ended it where it was supposed to. If I recall correctly, I needed to keep it dry, which is a bit of a PITA, but beyond that it wasn't a problem & I was hooked up to meds 24/7 for 2-3 weeks.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I had one in 2003 for IV antibiotics (bad case of pneumonia). Placement was similar to any other IV, takes a bit longer & they did an xray to be sure it ended it where it was supposed to. If I recall correctly, I needed to keep it dry, which is a bit of a PITA, but beyond that it wasn't a problem & I was hooked up to meds 24/7 for 2-3 weeks.

Dave

Comment

I donít remember much about it (which means it was pretty painless). Picture an IV. No worse than that. If I remember correctly they numb the area then just ask you to cough or move. No worries!
        3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop! 3/19/18 All clear!

Comment

Important aspect of picc lines! If his arm feels sore check for blood blots. With picc Lines they are easily fixed just keep an eye out!
          3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop! 3/19/18 All clear!

Comment

Thanks guys. The nurses said it was no big deal but then reading about a catheter going straight into your heart sounded like a big deal. Glad to hear you both had easy experiences with it. Ramping up for the big show now and nothing feels easy. Relieved to hear this part shouldn't be too awful.
            Last edited by melanie; 03-09-18, 11:41 PM.
            2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range

Comment

And done! Went well physically, but emotionally, it has taken a toll.

Comment

Went well physically, but emotionally, it has taken a toll.
                What's up?

Comment

He has reverted back to the initial diagnosis time. Withdrawn and just wants to be alone watching action movies, or something. I think its cause It is real for him now. For the 2 weeks between treatment plan after I/O and chemo starting we have been sort of "normal" and now we are ramping up for the big show.
                  He has some ptsd from being his brothers caretaker as a kid when brother went through TC, and I think having this thing in his arm is bringing that back more than he thought it would. Also the physical reminder that chemo is just around the corner is harder with this thing in his body

Comment

Working...
                  X