Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyembryoma?

Hello everyone,

I had a right inguinal orchiectomy on 2/5, and have recovered nicely. Pathology revealed a mixed germ cell tumor stage pT1 with embryonal carcinoma, yolk sac, and teratoma, with no lymphovascular invasion. I then went to MD Anderson in Houston for a second opinion, which revealed similarly, 90% EC, 5% Teratoma, 5% Yolk Sac, again no lymphovascular invasion. CT scans at MD Anderson were negative for metastasis, but my oncologist is keeping a close eye on a slightly larger lymph node (around a centimeter). My question to everyone deals with my initial pathology report, as it included the word "polyembryoma." Does anyone know what this means? I have heard some places that this is just a pattern seen in mixed GTCs, but my oncologist at MD Anderson said there is a bit of controversy as to what it really is, and the pathologists at MD Anderson generally don't include it in their report.

btw, in case anyone was curious, pre orchiectomy markers: bHCG=5, AFP=8.2. Post Orchiectomy Makers: bHCG= <1, AFP = 4.1

Comment

I have not really heard the term polyembryoma, but from what I can search it appears that it is a combination of embryonal and yolk sac elements. From what I saw it behaves just like other germ cell tumors but it is certainly something to ask your oncologist. It may be a term that has fallen out of favor and perhaps that is why it isn't seen very often in reports now? Just a guess.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Thanks Mike! I guess what was intriguing to me was the fact that it was described as "aggressive" but I guess that's fairly typical of non-seminomatous GCTs, particularly if they have a high EC%.

Comment

Working...
        X