Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-Chemo CT Scan Immediately After BEPx3 or Some Time After (e.g. 4-6 weeks)?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Chemo CT Scan Immediately After BEPx3 or Some Time After (e.g. 4-6 weeks)?

I'm starting my final round of BEP on Monday and am curious as to whether the first CT scan should be taken directly after treatment or some time after (e.g. 4 weeks).

I had pure EC with nodes 1.9cm x 1.6cm and 1.3cm x 1.3cm. Although unlikely, I want an optimal chance at reaching below the 1cm mark as to avoid a potential RPLND, and I've read they continue to shrink post-chemo.

I can tell you that pet/ct right after treatment are not recommended by Dr Einhorn. He stated wait at least 90 days following treatment. In my case i finished hdc they did a petct and it showed a spot on my lung. Then we contacted Dr E them took his advise and 90 days later the "spot" was gone. The chances of false positives so close after chemo is pretty high.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

My son finished his BEP 3X November 21 2017. Lymph node was 2.1 -2.0 before chemo. First post scan was December 8th 2017. Lymph node .7 cm. Advised to wait to let lungs heal from blood clots issue warning that RPLND may still be needed. Second post scan March 13th. Lymph node .6 X .4. Now on surveillance. Blood work every 2months and scans every 6months.

Comment

Its normal to wait a few weeks after chemotherapy has finished to get scans done.

I started my EPx4 on March 14th, 2011, and the last round completed the week of March 16-20th, 2011. I had scans done I think the first few days of June, not quite 2 weeks later. I probably could have waited longer, but I had a residual mass so we high-tailed it to Sloan and I did the RPLND. It's what I wanted to do anyways. I didn't want to leave anything to chance by waiting another 4 weeks, seeing if it went away, etc.

Don't be afraid of the RPLND: http://www.stevepake.com/cancer-blog...ticular-cancer

Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
        April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
        www.stevepake.com
        Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
        My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
        C
        ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

I finished chemo on 4-6-10, first PET/CT was 4-20-10, the node was reduced but still visible. 2nd scan on 12-20-10 the node wasn't mentioned in the report. It seems docs vary quite a bit on scan schedules. I thought someone said in here that IU likes to scan the last round of chemo, but maybe my memory is wrong.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
            I thought someone said in here that IU likes to scan the last round of chemo, but maybe my memory is wrong.
            I think it depends a lot on the specific case. Waiting and doing another scan in 3 months for low volume good risk disease sounds reasonable. Scanning during the last round for intermediate or poor risk disease is definitely more common, to have a heads up on response especially if markers are or were negative.
            Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
            April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
            www.stevepake.com
            Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
            My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

In my case, waited a month after chemo - boy, that was looooong time to wait!!! But hopefully you will get the result you want
              July 2016 - Left I/O
              December 2016 - BEPx3
              All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
              First Oncologist Visit Checklist
              Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

I did the CT scan 10days after the last BEP. The 1.6cm lymph node was not seen.
                30/12/16 2.5cm on right testis, 6mm on left testis.( B-HCG 0.34 <2,AFP 4.5 <7)

24/01/17 Right I/O
                (Pure embryonal carcinoma, no lymphovascular, no invasion of tunica albuginea, rate testis, epididymis, spermatic cord. )

14/02/17 AFP 2<7, 6mm on left testis
                17/02/17 Survelliance
                06/03/17 CT scan (Visible lymph nodes in the mediastinum . probable benign reactive appearance)

28/07/17 AFP 35 (normal 7), relapsed confirmed
                04/08/17 CT scan (new metastatic para-aortic lymph node 1.6cm AP1.5cm)
                10/08/17 Start 3 BEP, AFP201 (normal 7)
                06/10/17 End of 3 BEP, AFP3 (normal7)
                17/10/17 CT scan
                27/10/17 Prev left para-aortic lymph node not seen. AFP2(normal 7), B-HCG <2, LDH 208( normal 118-220)

Comment

Working...
                X