X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relapse

Hi, was diagnosed w non seminoma embroynal, not left the testicle. I was put on observation. 4 months later for my blood test my HCG is at 44. I have relapsed. Scans are being scheduled now. What does the result of 44 signify? I know it is supposed to be >5. Please help, thanks.

Hcg of 44 is elevated, but not extremely so. Probably means there was some cancer that could not be detected by CT that had spread to the lymph nodes. They should schedule another CT scan to see what's going on for sure, but it is kinda likely to show one or more enlarged retroperitonial nodes. If the scan shows that, chemo is likely to be recommended.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

My other 2 blood tests came back normal, I have done CT scans and now just waiting to here back. Does anyone have experience with just the HCG being elevated and if so, what was the outcome?

Comment

yes, some only have elevated HCG. the rest of the testing will signify treatment. So no raised tumor markers during initial diagnosis several months ago? I take it no metastasis either.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Right, no raised tumor markers before and after surgery. Also no metastasis. Thought I got away clean, but clearly not. The HCG scale is very strange considering it goes from 1-5000 for the levels of Testicular Cancer so is there any telling what the number 44 means? If anyone could help, thanks

Comment

A bHCG value of 44 is only mildly elevated.

Typically the number *may* correlate with tumor burden. The higher the volume of active/live tumor the higher the value.

Also, not all the TC histologies produce bHCG. bHCG mostly can go high with Empbryonal and Choriocarcinomas. However Seminomas can also mildly elevate it.

As pointed out by others that value is not high, meaning your tumor burden is likely pretty low...likely earlier stage, not too much spread.

One time I had my bHCG come back slightly elevated and in that case it was simply a bad blood test. So that is another possible explanation behind that value.

Also, one other thing can raise it: Do you smoke Marijuana ?

Bottom line, is you have to wait on the results of the CT and any further blood work, etc to determine the true significance and next steps.

- Matt
            March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
            March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
            6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
            LDH never fully normalized
            Stage: IS
            Watchful Waiting
            May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
            May 12th: started 3xBEP
            Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
            July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
            August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
            September 4th: Port removed
            July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

If CT scans are clear, definitely ask to have it tested again. Lab errors are rare but have happened to folks on the forum here. If it is indeed a recurrence it should be increasing and a second test should show a higher number.
              6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
              6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
              7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
              7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
              10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
              10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
              4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
              4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
              9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Me personally i had elevated levels prior to I/O like 10. Then a week later had more blood test done and nothing was elevated. So through out the rest of my journey i never had elevated markers. Point i am trying to make is elevated 44 isnt OMG. Let the scans and other tools they use determine if you have relapsed
                Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
                Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
                Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
                Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
                April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
                May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
                August 7th 2012- BEP complete
                April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
                May 2013 RPLND
                Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
                Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
                Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
                Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
                Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
                Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
                Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
                Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

If the CT is negative, then I would certainly want the levels retested to confirm that indeed the beta-hCG is elevated. I would also wan to make sure that it isn't a result of using marijuana or a result of having low testosterone. I would also ask my doctor if a repeat scrotal ultrasound would be appropriate just to evaluate the tiny odds that there is a tumor in the other testicle. The odds of the second testicle being affected is low but I would want to make sure before undergoing chemotherapy treatments, etc.

Mike
                  Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                  06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                  06.26.06 Left I/O
                  06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                  06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                  Surveillance...
                  Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                  6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Some good advise here. Keep us updated.
                    Son Grant
                    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

CT scans came back negative which is a relief. Doctor said it could be in my bloodstream last I spoke to her. Going to see her tomorrow morning.

Comment

Definitely get another set of tumor markers measured.
                        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac

Comment

Ok so went to doctor, she said ct scans and chest x Ray are 100% clear but then suggested 3x BEP. I am getting my blood done again in the next couple of days. Does this make any sense to anyone to do 3xBEP for no metastasis and a slightly elevated B-HCG of 44? Please let me know, I am leaning towards a second opinion

Comment

Please re-read Mike's response above; he is spot on.

I would not want to pull the trigger on 3xBEP just yet. I'd want to re-test a few things....look further before jumping the gun on chemo. If the bHCG continues to climb over one or two more tests then yes; it's likely cancer somewhere.

- Matt
                            March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                            March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                            6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                            LDH never fully normalized
                            Stage: IS
                            Watchful Waiting
                            May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                            May 12th: started 3xBEP
                            Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                            July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                            August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                            September 4th: Port removed
                            July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Originally posted by JeskiM69 View Post
                              Please re-read Mike's response above; he is spot on.

I would not want to pull the trigger on 3xBEP just yet. I'd want to re-test a few things....look further before jumping the gun on chemo. If the bHCG continues to climb over one or two more tests then yes; it's likely cancer somewhere.

- Matt
                              Exactly as Matt said. And like Mike said, you also need to rule out a new cancer in the other testicle. Rare, but possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X