Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back pain right side: what should I do?

Hello,
    I have a few days of pain on the right side of the kidney I think, lumbar pain not very strong but constant.
    I went to see a doctor a week ago and took a blood test. Everything was ok, but there were only as AFP markers. All other indications were in the standards. My last check was in December 2017 : scan + blood test + clinical exam testicle. Everything was ok.
    My next check is in about 20 days (scan + blood test + clinical testicle exam).

I do not know what to do, wait for these appointments or consult a doctor again?

The pains are not extremely strong, but I wake up sometimes at night. Being anxious nature I do not know if when I wake up and thinking about my pain it happens. Or if it's the pain that wakes me up. I fall asleep without worries and endure pain without medication.

PS : sorry for my english (i'm french), i try to write without google translate
    05.2015 : Right I/O 06.2015-> 08.2015 : 3XBEP Since september 2015 : surveillance Stage IIA : 95%EC - 5% seminoma PT2 with LVI - 1 node : 19mm

With a scan scheduled in 20 days, I'd just wait, there is little chance you will get it any sooner at this point. How high were your AFP numbers?

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Hi Davepet !
      thank you for your reply.
      My afp rate was 4.7 in December 2017. It was 4.8 last week. Since I have been in surveillance (almost three years), the rate varies between 4.2 and 5.3
      05.2015 : Right I/O 06.2015-> 08.2015 : 3XBEP Since september 2015 : surveillance Stage IIA : 95%EC - 5% seminoma PT2 with LVI - 1 node : 19mm

Comment

Your AFP looks within normal range. Hopefully your next scans will be clear.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Hello Trekga.
          normally the rate has to be <7. So I think i's ok. maybe someone from the forum can confirm all that. Thank you for your answer

Comment

AFP is tricky. I had mine at 19 post chemo and since it’s dropped to single digits. I’ve seen people on here who are consistently between 10-15 and it just fluctuates. Dr. Einhorn told me last year that anything under 25 isn’t outside of possibly normal. My oncologist told me a story about meeting him years back at a conference and asked him about someone who had AFP consistently around 20. Einhorn said he saw a similar cause and told him to test the father for something I can’t remember. Turns out it was something genetic and when my oncologist did the same found the same thing. Point of the story is there are many reasons for AFP to flucatuate or not necessarily be in normal range but as long as you stay under 25 it’s nothing to be concerned over.
            3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop! 3/19/18 All clear!

Comment

With an AFP in normal range, I would not be concerned, chances are your back pain is just back pain from something unrelated. Any u usual phisical activity recently?

Dave
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Thank you all for your help !
                In fact, the pain started a few days after taking my appointments for cancer monitoring. First right side of the back, and now left side.
                I have also been suffering from functional colopathy (or irritable bowel i don't know how to translate) for several years. Can there be a link between the two? I do not know

Comment

If that helps.. I had I/O in Feb, Post I/O CT Scans and Blood Test / X Ray all OK. Constant pains in lower back, just like you right then left, sometimes in bed the wrong postion kills me. Did my 3 months first CT Scan in May. No enlarged lymph node. So I just live with the pains. I also have IBS (that should not cause back pains). Anyhow, my point is , our bodies change, and the mind likes to associate pains with the TC while it likely is not related. You also mentioned your last check was Dec 2017. Are you on 6 months intervals now? I assume that means your first CT at 3 and 6 months were clear. Your odds are really good now.

Originally posted by Jo5711 View Post
                  Thank you all for your help !
                  In fact, the pain started a few days after taking my appointments for cancer monitoring. First right side of the back, and now left side.
                  I have also been suffering from functional colopathy (or irritable bowel i don't know how to translate) for several years. Can there be a link between the two? I do not know

Comment

Working...
                  X