X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after removal of 2nd testicle?

My story starts in Jan 2012. I noticed a swelling of my left testicle and went to PCP to be evaluated. He told me it was probably a hydrocoele or varicocoele but sent me for an ultrasound just to be safe. Before I got home from the US I got a call from the Dr. telling me to make another appt and come back in. It turns out there was a tumor in my right testicle. I saw a urologist within the week and we decided to do a biopsy. Tumor markers were negative and the biopsy came back negative, what a relief....... skip ahead to 2015. My wife and I start trying to get pregnant with no success for a year. I went to another urologist to get a semen analysis, it was 3. He suggested removing the tumor containing testicle to see if it helped my count. It turned out to be a seminoma diagnosed Sept 2016. I have just been doing surveillance for that ever since. In the meantime my sperm count increased to almost 1 million. We were able to do IVF and I now have a son and 2 more that are still frozen along with some extra sperm. I started to develop pain in my remaining testicle in 2018 and went back to the urologist. After an ultrasound he decided it looked funny and we tried a month of antibiotics to clear it up. After a month the testicle looked the same and he suggested removal or biopsy. After the 2012 biopsy missed cancer I told him to take it off or leave it alone, I wasn't interested in biopsy. We decided to do another I/O. Turned out to be another pure seminoma diagnosed June 2018. I am about 2 weeks post op and just started on testosterone cyp injections. I have a larger swelling in my scrotum that hurts like heck and the urologist says will go away in a month or so. I don't remember this problem with the first I/O. Did anyone else experience this and how long did it take to start improving? I am also still have hot flashes, close to 10 a day. How long does the testosterone take to kick in and stop this. Can anyone out there with both testicles removed speak to how normal life can be going forward? Should I consider chemo since this is the second time? Urologist thinks just monitoring is all I need, CT's have been clear. Thanks for the insight
    CJ
    R I/O 9/16, seminoma, monitoring
    L I/O 6/18, seminoma, monitoring to begin

Hang in there it is not the end of the world. It does take time to adjust to life without lefty or righty. I lost my right to injury in Afghanistan and lefty to cancer.
    It will take some time to get your dosing and times right. Some do just fine with creams. I finally got my stride with injections every 10 days vs eveyweek or every 2 weeks. I us half as much as i would doing 2 weeks. But for me my high and lows are not near as bad
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

You might want to consider having implants but that is a personal choice. If you are given the option of holding off on chemo then by all means save that option for if it is needed. But again that is a personal choice as long as you have nothing active you should be fine. Just stick to the protocol they have you doing will you wait and see. Dont miss your check ups etc...
      Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
      Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
      Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
      Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
      April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
      May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
      August 7th 2012- BEP complete
      April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
      May 2013 RPLND
      Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
      Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
      Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
      Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
      Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

I was only born with one, and lost it to cancer in 2015, so in a similar boat really. I read this forum alot at diagnosis and learned that I needed to start TRT immediately. So I pushed my docs to make sure I had TRT all lined up for after my I/O. They still were a little slow on it and I ended up starting TRT with androgel about 6 or so days after I/O I think? I think on like day 5-6 I stopped getting morning wood and started feeling warm at night, and then things went back to normal after a few days of androgel. I did have a hemotoma about the size of a testicle right where it used to be that ached a little for maybe 3 or so weeks after I/O, but it gradually went away completely. I opted not to get a prosthetic. Between already being married and having lived with one all my life anyway, a prosthetic just seemed like one more thing to deal with. I banked pre I/O and had a count something like 23,000/ml which is very low. So for our 2nd child (15mo old right now) and 3rd child (due dec!!) we did IVF with ICSI. I am on Aveed, which is a long lasting 10 week injection that seems to keep everything in check. Sex is literally no different than before, ejaculation is basically the same. No need for birth control though haha. Overall I feel good, and don't feel that I have really any major ups and downs in my T level when on the Aveed.
        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
        7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
        3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

My doc waited two weeks to start me on Testim, I know all about hot flashes, but afraid I can't recall how long it took to stop, seems like just a few days. How long ago did you get the injection? I've also used Androjel generic testosterone gel & am now on injections (due to insurance issues). I self inject every 3 weeks and that works for me pretty well, I can tell it's wearing off in week 3, though. Once you are done healing, everything else is no different than before other than regular injections.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I did the 1st injection 5 days ago. I have noticed a slight improvement in the hot flashes after about 4 days so hopefully it keeeps trending in that direction. I really appreciate hearing from some guys in the same boat as me. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Thank you for sharing all this, guys, even though I still have one left, it sure is good to know that life is still good in case the second one goes... I really appreciate it too!! Thank you
              July 2016 - Left I/O
              December 2016 - BEPx3
              All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
              First Oncologist Visit Checklist
              Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
              X