Are your Post-BEPx3 CT scans of the Abdomen or Abdomen+Pelvis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ByeByeMrRighty
    • Oct 2017

Are your Post-BEPx3 CT scans of the Abdomen or Abdomen+Pelvis?

Hi there, for those of you who have gone through conventional BEPx3, are your follow-up CT scans of the Abdomen or Abdomen+Pelvis? The NCCN guidelines say "CT of abdomen+/-pelvis," and I'm not quite sure what that means. My oncologist is suggesting abdomen+pelvis, with a chest x-ray of course. I was fortunate to have a complete response to chemotherapy with no residual masses, and I know relapses in the pelvis are very uncommon so I question the extra scanning. Thanks in advance!
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

My doc scanned from my head to knees, probably overkill, but to the best of my knowledge I do not glow in the dark...
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• AussieDan
      • Feb 2017

I had a relapse in my pelvis, so it can happen. My scans are always chest, abdo, pelvis, not something I've worried about personally.

Comment

• ByeByeMrRighty
        • Oct 2017

@Davepet. Good to know!

Originally posted by AussieDan View Post
        I had a relapse in my pelvis, so it can happen. My scans are always chest, abdo, pelvis, not something I've worried about personally.
        Interesting, it seems relapses in the pelvis are rather uncommon but I have heard of it. If I may, did you have seminoma or non-seminoma? And if non-seminoma, was the relapse also detected with elevated blood tumor markers?

Comment

• Ann
          • Aug 2017

My son has the "CT of abdomen+/-pelvis every 6-months. I believe he has had only one chest x-ray, following the BEP3x. His next scan is September which will be 10months since chemo.

06/17 - emergency visit - you have TC.
          07/17- O/I surgery 2A - 95% embryonal carcinoma 5% yolk sac
          09/17 - 11/17 3XBEP
          03/15/18 - cancer free. Blood work every 2 months, scan every 6 months.

Comment

• eodtech2001
            • Feb 2012

I had a primary site relapse several years ago and so from then on they did a whole body scan as Dave mentioned he had whole body scan.
            This last scan they did was just CT not PET/CT and this time they you barium contrast. I asked why this time and was told because when you look at the images its has an outstanding contrast in which to compare from pervious scans.
            That is 1 good thing about having scans done at the VA. They have all the previous scans in 1 location and the doctors can talk to each other.
            My scan may be done at 1 place but it is read at a central location and then forwarded back to my oncologist. So for me it has been pretty spot on with very little judgement call again because its always read and compared to previous scans and usually the same group of doctors. Any questions and they talk about it over the montior or at lunch
            Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
            Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
            Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
            Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
            April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
            May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
            August 7th 2012- BEP complete
            April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
            May 2013 RPLND
            Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
            Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
            Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
            Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
            Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• AussieDan
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by ByeByeMrRighty View Post
              Interesting, it seems relapses in the pelvis are rather uncommon but I have heard of it. If I may, did you have seminoma or non-seminoma? And if non-seminoma, was the relapse also detected with elevated blood tumor markers?
              Non-seminoma, and no elevated tumour markers, it was 100% teratoma

Comment

• JeskiM69
                • May 2014

My Post BEP scans changed over time.

In the first year or so they consisted of Abdo/Pelvic.
                After that it was just Abdo. However you could see the Lungs in the field....so I am not sure why the chest was in there.
                At Year 3 I had my final scan. So no more scans unless there is a suspicion of a problem (TC or otherwise).

- Matt

March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                LDH never fully normalized
                Stage: IS
                Watchful Waiting
                May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                May 12th: started 3xBEP
                Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                September 4th: Port removed
                Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Working...
                X