Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about post-orchiectomy pain

Hey everyone-

I had a right I/O last Friday, the 3rd. I'm just curious, how long does recovery last? I'm 5 days post op and the pain is pretty intense. I feel it a lot in the incision area, but recently I've begun to feel it in the crotch area as well. My scrotum is completely dark purple, as is most of my penis, but I've heard that is pretty normal; just bruising. How long does this pain last though? Is it supposed to hurt all the way from the incision to my scrotum? It's not a sharp pain per se, but a very deep aching, and it gets worse as the day goes on. I'm not trying to take too many painkillers, but I feel like I have to... and I'm already running low and in today's society getting a refill is like pulling teeth.

Thanks
    My story so far: 7/22/2018: Discovery rock hard mass on testicle while on vacation 7/26/2018: Urologist confirms mass; immediately get blood work and ultrasound. 7/31/2018: Ultrasound result show mass in right testicle, "highly suspicious of neoplasm". 8/3/2018: Right I/O 8/7/2018: Pathology confirms 100% seminoma. Multifocal. 2 tumors, both 2.5 x 2.5 x 2cm. LVI present. No cord involvement. 8/14/2018: CT of chest/abdomen/pelvis complete 8/17/2018: CT of chest clear, abdomen shows one lymph node 1.7 x 1.3. Staged IIA 8/22/2018: First radiology appointment, debating surveillance vs 3 weeks radiation

It is normal they get pretty close to 2 major nerves that run thru your groin so they are pissed off right now. Swelling and discoloration should last 3 to 4 weeks max
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

I think the pain is individualized. Post-Op Day 2 I went out for happy hour and Post-Op Day 5 I was swimming around in a lake and riding a jet ski (just at idle speed). I did keep ice on the incision repeatedly each day for the first week or so and I certainly think that it helped. You could always ask the urologist as well, if your results are normal in their opinion.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

I had my double on 31/7, still sore but was moving around after 3 days, I’m taking 1 endo right in the morning now to help get through the work day. Incisions hurt and where they pulled the nuts through, plus bag aches..

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah it's a little rough right now, it feels like I have a weight hanging from the side of my sack that is missing the testicle. Besides being purple though, it's not swollen or red or anything. I will say that this morning is a lot better than yesterday, even if it's still a bit painful- mainly right in the right side of my groin; almost like I pulled a muscle or something, but I know that's not the case. Currently a combination of ice and Percocet is helping me through the day. Getting a hold of my urologist can be a chore, but I have a follow-up on the 17th to go over my full-body scans and determine staging and treatment. Hopefully the pain will continue to improve until then. I'm just ready to get back to my job in the ICU (bills needs to be paid!), and my poor motorcycle has been sitting in my driveway looking very lonely and pathetic...
          My story so far: 7/22/2018: Discovery rock hard mass on testicle while on vacation 7/26/2018: Urologist confirms mass; immediately get blood work and ultrasound. 7/31/2018: Ultrasound result show mass in right testicle, "highly suspicious of neoplasm". 8/3/2018: Right I/O 8/7/2018: Pathology confirms 100% seminoma. Multifocal. 2 tumors, both 2.5 x 2.5 x 2cm. LVI present. No cord involvement. 8/14/2018: CT of chest/abdomen/pelvis complete 8/17/2018: CT of chest clear, abdomen shows one lymph node 1.7 x 1.3. Staged IIA 8/22/2018: First radiology appointment, debating surveillance vs 3 weeks radiation

Comment

Take it easy, man!! I know it's rough, and it may not feel like it, but you'll hopefully feel a lot better soon, doing things you've always done!
            July 2016 - Left I/O
            December 2016 - BEPx3
            All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
            First Oncologist Visit Checklist
            Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
            X