Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First CT Scan and bloodwork after orchiectomy.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First CT Scan and bloodwork after orchiectomy.

Hello guys,

I'm starting to make a little background of my history. I had a lump on my left testicle a couple of months ago but I didn't check it out, until last month, on July 18th. On July 20th I had to go under radical surgery because I had a tumor on it. My first results of blood work were: HCG 14.8 - AFP 2.4 - LD 416. The results of biopsy after surgery said I had a Stage 1A seminoma and the mass of tumor was 2.5x1.5x1.3, also it said that no tumor in spermatic cord, and the mass were located 3cm from the epididymis. Last monday I had my blood work and the results are: HCG 7-0 AFP 0.9 - LD 404. I also did a CT Scan today (first one) and it came out my lymph nodes are swollen and I'm citating what was on the report:

"There is left paraaortic adenopathy with the largest node measuring 3.3 x 3.1cm. There is left common iliac adenopathy measuring 3.3 x 3.2 c. There is left external iliac adenpathy measuring 5.1 x 3.9cm. Findings consistent with changes of metastatic disease. Small nonspecific abdominal mesenteric nodes. No free intraperitoneal air or fluid. The abdominal aorta is unremarkable."

It also says something about the femoral neck:

"Small sclerotic focus is seen in the left femoral neck that could just be bone island but small sclerotic metastasis cannot be completely excluded. No other significant osseous abnormality identified."

I will meet with an oncologist next week and discuss what my stage is right now and what are the next things to do. Also my doctor suggested to do another CT Scan of my lungs (it was weird because I could have it done today). I'm just writing here to get some more opinion from people who went through this thing before. What should I wait and if there is any suggestion about the treatment after this results. I'm very positive about the whole thing and I'm ready for any medication that I will take.

Thank you and hope everyone one of you guys to be fine and let's hope someday we gonna have a vaccine for this sh*t.

Well, you are at least stage II & I'd expect 3xBEP to be the recommendation With several > 3CM tumors and a suspicious area, don't think I'd even consider anything else.

Dave
    Last edited by Davepet; 08-25-18, 01:57 AM.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
      Well, you are at least stage II & I'd expect 3xBEP to be the recommendation With several > 3CM tumors and a suspicious area, don't think I'd even consider anything else.

Dave
      Hello Dave,

As I'm looking around I'm between stage iib or iic, but if my CT scan of lungs will come clean I will have a good prognosis at least. Also what is recommended from books is the 3xBEP or 4xPE. My urologist suggested chemotherapy, so I will see what oncologist will recommend. The other good thing with me is that all my organs work as they should, so I can have a better adjustment with medications. I read online a lot this time and is a good thing, but also a bad because you start worries for thing that you don't have. I will keep you guys posted for everything.

Comment

Yes, BEP*3 seems the most likely scenario. It's super important to be prepared and to know what to expect - it's a key to having (relative) peace of mind... Keep us posted
        July 2016 - Left I/O
        December 2016 - BEPx3
        All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
        First Oncologist Visit Checklist
        Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Hello guys,

I've got the results of chest scan and it's all clear. So basically I'll be a stage IIC. Next Tuesday I have an appointment at MD Anderson with doctor Shi-Ming Tu, but also I'm gonna have a second opinion from Dr. Yuval Raizen. What I've seen around some po at MD Anderson get 4xPE rather than 3xBEP, but I will keep you guys posted with everything. After my visit with the oncologist, usually how long after I should start the treatment?

Comment

Well, 3xBEP has a slight edge over 4xEP, but both are effective. The main reason to go with 4xEP is if there is some concern about your lung function. Even though the bleo risk is pretty small, some don't feel comfortable with it.
            As far as how soon to start, that varies from place to pace, but sooner is always better, there is no point in giving the cancer any time to get worse.. I would hope to start treatment within a week, but sometimes it takes longer & the results are just as good.

Dave

Comment

Hello again guys,

I met with doctor Tu at MD Anderson today and he recommended to start 4xEP on Thursday. He didn't even mention the BEP. Because I'm a former smoker, that I quit around 5 years ago, he said that it's better with 4xEP. Any suggestion from people who have been at the same dilemma???

He was a bit surprised that my lymph nodes where enlarged and I don't have any type of pain. He said that I'm stage IIIA at the moment and he was open to a lot of question that I had for him. I also have another appointment today with doctor Yuval Raizen at Oncology Consultants (even though the staff doesn't seem as dedicated as MD Anderson).

I will keep you posted....

Comment

I was a former 30 year smoker & got 3xBEP with no long term lung problems.Enlarged lymph nodes rarely cause pain unless they are pressing on nerves or restricting other body functions. I don't think you are actually stage 3, not sure what I'm missing?
                Dave
                Last edited by Davepet; 09-08-18, 02:49 PM.

Comment

From what I have read from some cancer sites, it is classified as stage 3 if it has spread beyond the regional lymph nodes in the abdomen. Technically, if it has spread to a lymph node in the pelvis, it could be classified as stage 3. This is despite the lymph node being closer to where the testicular tumor was. My doctor David Vaughn, who is one of the TC experts, told me what really matters the most is the prognosis, not staging. Your prognosis is good, which means your survival odds are very high. I had a worse type of tumor, EC, and had it spread within the lymph nodes in my chest. He still gave me over a 90 percent chance to beat it. So try not to stress too much. You will beat this!

Comment

Yeah, I technically had 3a rather than 2c because I had a lymph node in my neck that was slightly enlarged. But my markers were all in the low-elevated range and was staged with good risk.
                    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
                    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                    9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
                      I was a former 30 year smoker & got 3xBEP with not long term lung problems.Enlarged lymph nodes rarely cause pain unless they are pressing on nerves or restricting other body functions. I don't think you are actually stage 3, not sure what I'm missing?
                      Dave
                      Hello Dave,

I know but he also told me that it's not such a big difference between 3bepvs4ep, and with their patient the EP has been very responsive with my type of cancer. Today is my 3rd day of chemo and fortunately I didn't felt any effects yet. Is this a good sign or is normal, until the second week?

Comment

Originally posted by biwi View Post
                        Yeah, I technically had 3a rather than 2c because I had a lymph node in my neck that was slightly enlarged. But my markers were all in the low-elevated range and was staged with good risk.
                        I understand. I'm happy to see you're cancer free and I hope you will not go under this again

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                          From what I have read from some cancer sites, it is classified as stage 3 if it has spread beyond the regional lymph nodes in the abdomen. Technically, if it has spread to a lymph node in the pelvis, it could be classified as stage 3. This is despite the lymph node being closer to where the testicular tumor was. My doctor David Vaughn, who is one of the TC experts, told me what really matters the most is the prognosis, not staging. Your prognosis is good, which means your survival odds are very high. I had a worse type of tumor, EC, and had it spread within the lymph nodes in my chest. He still gave me over a 90 percent chance to beat it. So try not to stress too much. You will beat this!
                          Thank your for your response. My doctor gave me a 95% of chances to beat this, but I feel 110% with myself. I'm super positive, stress-free and I'm doing everything to pass this one. Hope you're free now and feeling strong. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by albano90 View Post
                            Today is my 3rd day of chemo and fortunately I didn't felt any effects yet. Is this a good sign or is normal, until the second week?
                            Its pretty normal, the meds they give along with the chemo are pretty effective for most, I felt the worst during the weekend after my long week & gradually improved until the next round.

Dave

Comment

albano90, side effects can get worse with each round. For me, day 1 to 3 were ok, day 4 and 5 much harder... Good luck with it!
                              July 2016 - Left I/O
                              December 2016 - BEPx3
                              All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                              First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                              Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X