Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While waiting to see the oncologist . .

First I just want to say how grateful I am to everyone who maintains and contributes to this forum. My forty year old husband was diagnosed 8//9/18, and had the orchiectomy the next morning. I have been reading here since and finding so much helpful and supportive information, and I am so thankful that this site exists.
    So now my turn for a question. He has not yet seen the oncologist, and we just got the pathology report back from surgery. (He put off making his follow-up appointment for several weeks.) It was a seminoma, CT scan was clear, and the doctor said all the other results were favorable. The one that wasn't in the "good" column t was that he was positive for LVI. The urologist didn't seem to have much in the way of answers for us on what that means or whether it changes what comes next. Naturally I'm curious if it likely does? I've looked at the charts from MD Anderson and I think have a decent idea of where things are heading, but anyone's personal experience would be welcome information.
    Also, assuming chemo is in his future - how long is a "cycle" of chemo? Seems like a silly question but to be fair, I haven't really found an answer.

BEP 3X - One cycle: week 1 treatment 5 days. Week 2 one day. Week 3 one day. You repeat this cycle two more times.

Comment

Thanks! That freaks me out a little less - I wasn't sure if it was the full weeks. Is there a break between cycles normally?

Comment

3xBEP lasts 9 weeks total. Typically there are no breaks between cycles. Only if there are serious issues they may delay a cycle; but that's rare and not typical.

- Matt
        March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
        March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
        6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
        LDH never fully normalized
        Stage: IS
        Watchful Waiting
        May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
        May 12th: started 3xBEP
        Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
        July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
        August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
        September 4th: Port removed
        July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Hi there, another wife here. I know just how you feel and I am so sorry you have to go through it.

LVI just means that the tumor invaded a bit of the Lymphatic structure increasing the likelihood of the possibility of spread. By how much, I am not sure. Pure seminoma is a slow grower with a pretty predictable spread pattern. With a clear CT scan it probably has not spread.

All of the things you said would lead me to think Chemo probably wont be the first line of treatment. I bet you the Oncologist will suggest surveillance and he is already cured.

Take care and keep asking questions! You guys will get through this

2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
          2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
          3/12/18-4/1/18 Adjuvant BEPx1

Comment

I'm not sure, but I don't think LVI is as big a deal for spread with seminoma as it is with EC. I'm guessing surveillance will be the option most suggested, & if it is not, a second opinion should be in order.

Dave
            Last edited by Davepet; 09-08-18, 01:11 AM.
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
            X