Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with it, sayhey! Sounds like you're in good hands, and Dr. Einhorn recommendation should help too
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
    My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Just wanted to thank everybody for all of the well-wishes, and provide a quick update before a more detailed one later on once I receive my pathology and am after my follow-up visit.

I had the open RPLND on December 26th, and walked out of the hospital on the 29th. I've been recovering at home since, making the occasional venture outside of the house whenever weather allows.

I've been very pleasantly surprised at how easy everything has been, especially based on all of the different experiences I have read through. I am pre-chemotherapy so I am sure that's a huge part of it, but on all fronts this has been an easier experience than I anticipated.

I had an epidural put in before the surgery, which made a huge difference in my initial recovery. It was removed on the 28th in the morning along with my Foley catheter. I received a single 10mg oxycontin before they removed the epidural, but it made me nauseous so I had them switch me to Ibuprofen. When in bed or sitting down, the pain was never more than uncomfortable. Getting up initially was painful, and can still be uncomfortable depending on my position, but nothing out of control. I stopped taking all medication (stool softeners, pain killers, and gabapentin) on the 1st.

Comment

Good to hear it went smooth! Be-aware for bumps in the recovery road though! For me, my only annoyance was once I got my staples out, I needed to steri-strip my incision for probably 2 weeks or so as the incision was trying to open again.

I'm sure you feel good about your choice given it has the best chance of preventing recurrence, as well as how your recovery is going.
        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
        7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
        10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

They closed me up with skin glue, which was a little unexpected for me but also a positive since I won't have to have anything taken out. When I coughed for the first time I was a little terrified since it felt like I ripped myself open but all was good.

I've been wearing the abdominal binder pretty religiously though, so that helps with the occasional cough, as well as giving me more confidence.

Comment

Working...
          X