X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a-dilla
    • Feb 2018

Hair loss months after BEP

I did 1xBEP about six months ago and it’s been good since then. I experienced a lot of hair loss but it all grew back within a month or two. But lately, almost 6 months later, I’ve been noticing that my hair has been shedding again. It started with my body hair. It was a bit here and there so I just let it go and didn’t think much of it. But last night I was looking at myself in the mirror and noticed that the hair on my temples and around my ears is much thinner. It’s making me anxious and depressed.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Is there anything I can do?
  • eodtech2001
    • Feb 2012

When u had 3 x BEP everything fell out and then came back big and bushy, i was sporting a heck of a 70s big hair perm. Then several months later it all fell out and came back Normal. Super baby fine.
    Lots of reasons your hair could be thinning could be side effects of chemo, age related or low T or even to high of T. It could even be genetic that runs in your family.
    Just elimate the variables from less possible to most possible. Im 5 yrs out from HDC and my hair was super thin. I said scree it and now i sport the mister clean look. Wife and friends love it. Embrace it and rock the new look, whether its short term or long term.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• mcintoda
      • Nov 2016

I don't recall any hair loss so late after BEP. My hair was continually changing (and still is 2 yrs out). it started out thick and short and then gradually is returning ot what it was before. Now my hair does some new things like have a cow-lick. Also I have some more grey hair on my temples. Body hair stayed the same.
      Age 31 - Portland, OR
      01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
      13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
      27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
      06DEC16 - CT scan clear
      09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
      03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
      18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

• a-dilla
        • Feb 2018

Thanks for sharing your stories.

I have been keeping my hair very short since my treatment so I cannot really say if it has changed or not, but on my face and the rest of my body it has not changed at all.

I am just going to have to wait it out and talk to my oncologist during my next scheduled appointment.

Comment

• Ann
          • Aug 2017

a-dilla - my son is having the same issue. Finished 3XBEP 11/2017. Hair came back fine, then went through stage of falling out and now he says it's just not the same. He asked the doctor about it,
          the doctors comment was, it's hard to say if it's the chemo or my son turning 30 and normal loss.

Comment

• Daniel_Eye
            • Feb 2017

All of my hair fell out and grew back exactly the same. However, I am continuing down my path of eventual baldness. I've been using Rogaine for about4 years now and it helps keep what's there, there. Also, I purchased the Capillus upon recommendation from a hair transplant surgeon. So far the hair on my temple back and sides remain the same, but the crown area is somewhat thin. I think it is mostly genetics. Some people take the extra step and use propecia to curb the hair loss. I'd check with your doctor on taking propecia.

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

Seems to me to be wonderful that so many TC guys are worried about their hair growth these days. 40 years ago we were only worried about how long we would live after a cancer Dx.
              I think we all need to be amazed at how far we have come, thanks to doc E.
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• PixelGenius
                • Sep 2017

I'm just under a year after completing 3 x BEP when all my hair fell out but came back within about 1-2 months. However all of a sudden, the hair on my head is falling out every day. Each morning there's hairs in the shower and lots appear on my hands when I use hair wax. I advised the doctor but they don't seem to think there's anything wrong and just talked to me about age related or genetic hair loss (I'm 32). The only other time I've lost hair like this is when I had the BEP chemo. Looks like I may need to prepare for typical male baldness!
                Sep 2017 - Mass in left testicle (GP check, ultrasound, CT)
                Oct 2017 - Left I/O orchiectomy and prosthesis added
                Oct 2017 - Confirmed embryonal carcinoma with vascular invasion
                Oct 2017 - Increasing HCG levels
                Oct 2017 - Spread to lymph nodes in lungs
                Nov 2017 - BEPx3 begins
                Dec 2018 - HCG levels normalised
                Jan 2018 - Chemo done
                Feb 2018 - CT clear
                Jan 2019 - Still clear!

Comment

• Trekga
                  • Jan 2017

Have you had hormonal panel done lately?
                  Son Grant
                  dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                  Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                  2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                  Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Davepet
                    • Mar 2010

You are not the first guy to report a second round of hair loss post chemo. It's not very common, but does happen. Don't be surprised if it grows back, don't be concerned if it doesn't. Surviving cancer is important, hair is not.

Dave
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                    X