X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbent
    • Mar 2019

Cancer returning two months after 3xBEP

I'm freaking out a bit right now and I can't see my oncologist for another three weeks (CT scan next week).

I had a right IO in February (age 26), mostly non-seminona tumor with no vascular invasion. Tumor markers (afp/HCG) went up after surgery along with a slightly enlarged lymph node, so I got 3x BEP ending May 25. My last blood test on May 9 showed tumor markers down to practically zero.

The scary part: Over the past couple weeks there's been a small but rapidly growing mass under my right areola, which is the same side as the IO and enlarged lymph node. The lump is becoming visibly obvious. I'm concerned that the cancer invaded the lymphatic tissue in the breast.

I have 3 weeks to panic and stress about this possibility and am having not too much success googling, so I was wondering what the typical treatment options are when TC responds to but survives 3xBEP, or if anyone had a similar experience.
    Last edited by jbent; 07-23-19, 03:35 PM.
  • JoeTheAstronaut
    • Dec 2016

Hey there, that doesn't sound good - when did you have the CT scan? Has the original node changed in size? And what does your oncologist say?

It might still be something else, but there are different options for following up to 3xBEP - more chemo like TIP, VIP as well as HDC with stem cell transplant. And there's TIGER clinical trial that could be a good way to go.

They are still good options in case you need to go there!! Hopefully, more clarity soon...
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
    My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• biwi
      • Jun 2015

Chances are very good that it is not cancer. Chemo can get to cancer almost everywhere in your body (with the exception of testicles and brain). I had a metastasis that was in my neck and chemo knocked it out. Chemo resistance is pretty rare, especially in stage 1 and stage 2 TC.
      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
      7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
      10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
      4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• Dgray
        • Mar 2018

I had the same and it was simply - gynecomastia. Probably you can make an ultrasound and you will know for sure.

Comment

• Ann
          • Aug 2017

My son had the same type of thing you are describing, and it turned out to be nothing. I'm not sure what it was. He does not like to sure his health news with us as much after he was deemed cancer free 3/15/18. Maybe ask for an Ultrasound before the CT to give yourself peace of mind.

6/17 you have TC
          7/17 2A 95% EC 5% Yolk
          9/17-11/17 3XBEP
          3/15/18 cancer free
          Blood work every 3 months
          Scans every 6

Comment

• cc79
            • Jun 2015

I agree with dgray, probably gyno especially if it is somewhat itchy and sensitive.
            TC#1
            May 2013 - Left Orchiectomy - Stage pT1 Seminoma (2.3 cm)
            June 2013 - 1 Dose 1000mg of Carboplatin ---> Surveillance
            TC#2
            May 2015 - Right Orchiectomy - Stage pT1 Seminoma (2.2cm)
            TRT - Cypionate 100mg (Weekly)
            June 2015 - Surveillance

Comment

• eodtech2001
              • Feb 2012

I think for you the 3 weeks waiting is your hang up. If i were you i would be screaming bloody hell at my oncologist. If you feel something isnt right then by all means press as hard as you can to get seen sooner.
              Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
              Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
              Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
              Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
              April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
              May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
              August 7th 2012- BEP complete
              April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
              May 2013 RPLND
              Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
              Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
              Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
              Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
              Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• jbent
                • Mar 2019

Thank you everyone who replied.

Hopefully, and it seems most likely, it's gynecomastia and it's reassuring that was the case for some.

Couldn't get an earlier appointment with my oncologist so I just have to wait and assume the best.

Comment

• Davepet
                  • Mar 2010

Did you call his office & tell the about the lump? If so, it's probably time to change doctors, they should make room for unexpected symptoms like this.
                  Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                  Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• jbent
                    • Mar 2019

Yeah I was able to get an ultrasound and they gave me a mammogram too, haha. Good news is the doctors said it's almost certainly gynecomastia caused by either the chemo or a medication I'm on (or a combination of the two), but we'll keep an eye on it.

Bad news is that the CT scan showed >1cm node so it looks like I'll be getting a post-chemo RPLND. My surgeon is a real pro though and I may be a candidate for laparoscopic or robot-assisted RPLND.

Comment

• dcalandrelli
                      • Apr 2017

Most likely a teratoma if it’s anything, while it is very annoying once they cut it out you’ll be good to go for good!
                      3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

Working...
                      X