X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uretheroplasty advice needed

I have a uretheral stricture because I fell with a catheter in following RPLND. Stopped being able to peep about 3 years ago so had dialation. Told would need a uretheroplasty in the future. Going for an evaluation in a couple of weeks as all the tell tale signs are back and getting worse.

Did not love my ROLND experience at Duke. The sure grin Brant Inman does low 60’s of these RPLND surgeries per year and the anesthesiologists put the spinal block in weird so I could not feel or move my right leg for about 36 hours. The nerve to my right leg also nicked in the surgery and I have nerve pain there basically every day. A bit nervous that the surgeon Dr. Peterson at Duke may not be the best choice to do the uretheroplasty

Does anyone have experience with this or how to evaluate a sure grin besides he seems nice. Is there a high volume surgeon that is recommended?
    TC Stage IIIB 90%Embryonal 10% Yolk Sak DX 02/15/12
    BEP x4 Feb-May '12 (BEP x3 and EP x1 due to bleo toxicity)
    June 2012 CT shows residual node ~1.8 cm cervical/multiple in RP.
    August 2012 Nerve Sparing RPLND 53 nodes removed all negative for active cancer
    August 2012 CT residual node ~1.8 cm cervical
    Nerve damage to my right hip/leg from RPLND and retro (thus I am now infertile)
    Dec 2012 f/u CT clear
    Mar 2013 f/u CT clear lymphedema from the RPLND

Hi Philo, good questions to be asking, I wish I had useful information for you in response! Volume is probably the most commonly used measure for surgeon competence, but as you know already, there are many other factors as well.

Good luck, and I hope this one goes much smoother for you than your past experience. Fingers crossed!
    Painless lump 5/18/2017
    Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
    Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
    No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

Working...
    X