Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbo question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carbo question

    Hello,
    I was supposed to have my 1x carbo shot on oct 21 about 6 weeks after my i/o. I had second thoughts and ended up postponing it for a week. A couple of other things happened and my carbo infusion got pushed back to Nov 12 which is 64 days after my operation. My doctor scheduled a CT scan for tomorrow to have my cancer restaged but i feel like that is a waste because is its only been 6 weeks since my last CT scan. Has anyone heard of someone doing a carbo after such a long time from their operation? My doctor thinks it's ok I'll be 9 weeks out. Ive read that its supposed to be done 6-8 weeks.
    Last edited by db79; 11-08-19, 03:46 PM.

  • #2
    I received the answer from Dr.E when I raised the same question. He said after for weeks you started atomically the surveillance process. If I ask for adjuvant chemotherapy, I need to repeat all studies.

    But it was only for the case of my son. For your information.
    Son Ran, 24 years old, 25th May 2018 diagnosed NSGCT. 28th May 2018 right orchiectomy. Pathology:50% EC, 30% Teratoma,20% Yolk sac. CTs: 1 retroperitoneal lymph node 0.7mm Tumor markers: AFP 497, bhcg 19, LDH normal Normalized after R/O. Stage 1, surveillance 17th September 2018, Bhcg elevated up to 5.6 AFP and LDH normal, CT stable. 4th November bhcg up to 28, AFP and LDH normal. BEPx3 started and 2nd January 2019 BEP finished with Tumor markers normalized. 13th February 2019 CT scan showed 1 retroperitoneal lymph node enlarged up to 1.1 cm with normal tumor markers. RPLND : 03/14 2019@IU Dr.Cary Pathology report: one lymph node from 57 is Teretoma .Back to surveillance 05/02/19 Blood work all normal

    08/23/2019 Bloodwork, Abdomen CT and Chest X-ray all normal

    Comment


    • #3
      Im sorry sir but did you say 4 weeks?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes. When we reached Dr. E was already after his orchiectomy four weeks, nearly five weeks. That time was stage I non seminoma. Dr.E suggested us with surveillance. We did. But we didn’t have luck, my son relapsed after four months.

        BRs

        Amy, Ran’s mum
        Son Ran, 24 years old, 25th May 2018 diagnosed NSGCT. 28th May 2018 right orchiectomy. Pathology:50% EC, 30% Teratoma,20% Yolk sac. CTs: 1 retroperitoneal lymph node 0.7mm Tumor markers: AFP 497, bhcg 19, LDH normal Normalized after R/O. Stage 1, surveillance 17th September 2018, Bhcg elevated up to 5.6 AFP and LDH normal, CT stable. 4th November bhcg up to 28, AFP and LDH normal. BEPx3 started and 2nd January 2019 BEP finished with Tumor markers normalized. 13th February 2019 CT scan showed 1 retroperitoneal lymph node enlarged up to 1.1 cm with normal tumor markers. RPLND : 03/14 2019@IU Dr.Cary Pathology report: one lymph node from 57 is Teretoma .Back to surveillance 05/02/19 Blood work all normal

        08/23/2019 Bloodwork, Abdomen CT and Chest X-ray all normal

        Comment


        • #5
          Im sorry to hear about your son relapse. Ive gotten so many different responses to the time window for adjuvant treatment question. My doctor said up to 3 months, another doctor said before 10 weeks, on the forums most people say 6-8 weeks and ive seen the 60 days number used in some studies which are suggesting higher relapse rates after the 60 days.
          Last edited by db79; 11-09-19, 07:32 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi DB! I think the variety of answers you've gotten about the window indicates that there just isn't great evidence one way or the other for how long the "window" should be.
            I think the most important thing is to decide what you feel more comfortable with and go with that.
            Of course none of us wish we'd gotten testicular cancer, but now that that's a fact, the options you have in front of you are all excellent.
            Painless lump 5/18/2017
            Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
            Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
            No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

            I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              I recall reading that after a long delay, they want to repeat the CT to be certain they are not under-treating you, which could limit treatment options down the road.
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

              Comment

              Working...
              X