X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robotic Laparoscopic RPLND

Anyone know what recovery looks like for Robotic Laparoscopic RPLND? I know it's much better than open but looking for some specifics on timeline by anyone that has experience with this surgery. I'm scheduled for January 24th at UTSW.

Also, any idea what the recommendations post surgery will be based on what they find? After my orchiectomy they staged me as mpT1b NX. Seminoma. Size was 3.3 X 3.0 X 2.4. No LVI, but RTI was present. Having the RPLND on doc's recommendation because of a paraortic lymph node that has been growing over the course of a couple scans that he's no longer comfortable leaving.

Thank you!

Have you had chemotherapy or is this a primary RPLND? Primary RPLNDs are not very often done for seminoma, although there is a clinical trial looking more into it now. What size is your paraaortic mass is it the 3 cm or was this the primary?

Compared to high volume open RPLND centers the length of stay for robotic-RPLND that I have see is only a difference of about a day.

Not knowing if you have had chemo and given the rarity of RPLND in seminoma it is a bit of a guessing game if they would give adjuvant chemotherapy if they find viable seminoma.

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Primary. My doctor is all about avoiding chemotherapy.

The paraaortic node is 1.4 X 1.3.

Comment

It certainly is an option but you could always get a second opinion.

Mike
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

So does anyone have any detailed information about what the recovery looks like for someone in their late 20s and otherwise healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Tjdoyle View Post
            So does anyone have any detailed information about what the recovery looks like for someone in their late 20s and otherwise healthy?
            I don't know exactly how your recovery will look, but I can tell you mine. I'm 23 and healthy. I had an open RPLND w/ left nephrectomy and aortic homograft done at the same time. I was in the ICU for 5-days due to possible aortic homograft complications, and then released. I was able to walk on day 3 in the ICU. On day 5, I was able to walk out of the hospital and to the car. The recovery wasn't too bad, but that's because I was not working and had my caretakers. Took me about 2.0 weeks after the RPLND to feel "fine."
            Last edited by WhiteSnow; 01-08-20, 09:38 PM.
            06/11/19: Left orchiectomy (15% seminoma, 85% teratoma)
            07/19-09/19: 4xBEP
            11/18/19: RPLND, left nephrectomy, aortic homograft

Comment

Working...
            X