Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to avoid before having markers checked?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PastTaro
    started a topic What to avoid before having markers checked?

What to avoid before having markers checked?

Hello, everyone. Quick question:

I have my routine 5 month blood work for marker checks coming up.

Is there anything in specific that I should avoid doing/eating/drinking before going in to avoid any sort of interference or false results?

Example: someone told me that drinking beer in the weeks before this type of blood work can result in elevated AFP readings...no idea if that is true or not.

Thank you!

• biwi
    replied
    A few drinks will be zero problem.

15+ drinks a day before will probably elevate your AFP as your liver deals with the punishment.

As mentioned by others, if you do very strenuous exercise (long endurance run, high intensity weight training, etc) your LDH could be raised. This has happened to me, although it was only slightly elevated.

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    I worked a week on and then a week off years ago. On my week off we partied the whole week and I only remember eating twice and one of the meals was 2-lbs of crawfish. I went in that last day of Holiday to get my labs done and my creatinine spiked up, making it look like I was in kidney failure. It was simply muscle destruction. Otherwise, my labs looked fine. I had to admit to the doc that I didn't really eat for the past week and he wasn't that impressed with me. Haha.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• PastTaro
    replied
    Thank you all for the responses. I had planned a mini vacation for myself to help my with my scan-anxiety. The timings of it worked out such that I will be having my blood work and CT scan on the very next day after my vacation ends. I would like to un wind with a few drinks while on vacation (nothing too crazy).

Leave a comment:

• eodtech2001
    replied
    You are correct. Dam auto correct on my phone has a mind of its own.

Leave a comment:

• Webzfactory
    replied
    @edotech2001 you mean LDH... Not AFP

Leave a comment:

• eodtech2001
    replied
    As Mike pointed out about drinking. Another aspect to think about is vigorous exercise just prior to your blood work. Your AFP could be raised, but it would depend on which AFP test was performed. Elevated AFP levels just show cell destruction, so if your worked out prior to AFP test and your muscles are sore it could show as being elevated

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    I guess if the possibility for alcohol to affect the liver and thus the AFP exists but I haven't really seen it. I know in years past I never worried about it and often did the lab tests after being on holiday for a week prior.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• billandtuna
    replied
    Hi again Taro!
    I'm not aware of anything that one needs to avoid before having markers checked. There are some anecdotes suggesting that recent marijuana use can cause an artificially high HCG, but there are also studies saying that marijuana use has no effect. I don't know anything about beer and AFP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X