Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a week it has been. On Monday, just before Gemox was expected to start, a lung CT showed two new nodules, including one that had grown over 1 cm in under 4 weeks. Wednesday, Dan met with the surgeon, and on Thursday they did allergy tests and started the TumorGlow process. This morning, his surgeon removed the larger tumor and sent it off for pathology. The smaller suspect had essentially disappeared. We were terribly relieved that something showed up on the scans to explain the rapid rise in HCG, and now we will anxiously watch Dan's HCG in hopes that it drops down to 0. It's amazing how like your brother's case ours is, Hermana. Now let's hope we can join you in remission!

Comment

ERDR I'm SO glad to hear these news. It's relieving also that you know that you have yet, at least, one more chemo to fight against cancer if you need it in the future because he didnt't receive Gemox. I hope his bhCG reach 0 and you enjoy a well gain peace life.

Thanks very much for sharing your great news, we'll be here to accompany you on the road.

I want to remind that participate in Make an Impact project sending a tumour sample, it's always good to know as much as possible about his cancer, just in case is needed, but of course, keeping possitive that it will be "lost time" and you won't needed it.

Un abrazo fuerte a ambos ERDR, ¡son noticias para celebrar! (en cuanto se recupere jeje)

Comment

HCG down to about 1200.

Comment

Awesome news! So happy for you! Keep going down!!

Comment

That is a great drop. You mentioned on the 13th it was at 5000, do you know what it was just before the surgery?
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Strangely, the numbers were already dropping leading into surgery, but the tumor was a clear tumor (still awaiting pathology). He was around 2,600 right before surgery, and he is down to 178 as of yesterday!! It's been almost an entire year of treatment. In fact, February is when Dan felt the first symptoms of his cancer - nausea, then urinating blood, then coughing up blood (75cc per 12 hour period upon admission). And now, for the first time in a very long time, we may actually be looking at a cure!!

Comment

That bubble burst. HCG 700. We are back to the options of GEMOX or clinical trials.

Comment

So sorry to hear about the increase. Did they verify that it was accurate or are they repeating it weekly?

Mike
                  Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                  06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                  06.26.06 Left I/O
                  06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                  06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                  Surveillance...
                  Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                  6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

I’m so so sorry, I hope he starts GEMOX as soon as possible, and please do the genetic test of the tumour they got from the last surgery, it may add more types of drugs to fight against the cancer.

Comment

Dan's HCG was up to 1100 two days later. Gemox started on Wednesday, and it's not the easiest regimen though it's far less frequent than any other chemo that Dan has endured. The strangest side effect is a sharp stabbing pain whenever touching cold, meaning walking on the bathroom floor in the morning, getting food from the fridge or freezer, breathing in cold air, and cold beverages can cause a response that closes his throat. It's lasted four days so far but is improving a bit. The effects are supposed to be cumulative, so it may last longer in subsequent treatments. It will take 2-3 months for us to know if the GEMOX is even working, and it could stop being effective at any point, so this is really difficult for our whole family. Pathology on the lung tumor, as expected, was 100% choriocarcinoma.

Comment

I realize that no one is following this now, but considering how many stories I have searched in hopes of similar situations, I will continue to post updates. Dan started his second cycle of Gemox yesterday. He opted for a port due to the burning nature of this med and his shot veins, and that has offered some relief. After the three week cycle, his HCG is down to 110, so we are hopeful that the response will continue.

Comment

Good idea on the port. Glad to hear it seems to be responding!
                          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

I am following your journey, for sure. I read that it will take 2-3 months to know if GEMOX is working But I see that it’s working sooner than that, so BIG BIG GOOD news. I’m so happy for you...

My brother had a port too, one day the chemo begun to burn and he had to use it too.

Please, keep posting, I’m here and I’m reading. Best of wishes

Comment

Thank you both. Just before Dan's second cycle of Gemox, on Monday his HCG was 110 and it was 141 on Wednesday. He is two thirds of the way through cycle 2, and his oncologist agreed to run his HCG today, so we will be holding our breath as we await the results. Has anyone on here reached a cure through Gemox? Has anyone had Gemox treatment discontinued after an initial response that just stopped working? I definitely preferred to have testing run weekly to this every three weeks protocol.

Comment

ERDR I'm so sorry I took a week to read your message. I have questions for you:

- did they redo the test in this week?
                                - any news?

And I have some comments:

- hcg goes up in some patients when the tumor leaks into the blood, and this means the tumor is dying. Yes, it is true that at first his bHcg decreased, but I think that for a single rise you should not be alarmed. There must be a continuous rise to start thinking about other possibilities.

- Several months ago I found two post of two guys cured with Gemox (there are more, just look for the statistics), but now with a rapid search I can't find them. Anywhere they exists so please trust in treatment if it's working. These guys write very little in this forum and it's hard to find their posts, I'll keep searching.

If you think in the worst escenario, and the Gemox don't work anymore, did you know if the tumour are resectable?

Another question: did you do the gen test of the tumour sample? Do you have any results?

Best of wishes to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X