Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting BEP March 16th-Corona Rant

So I will be officially starting Adjuvant Chemo on March 16th

I can honestly say I'm scared out of proportion to this damned Coronavirus epidemic.
    There is no cases in a 400 mile radius around me and there are actually 3 cases in the whole state and there are VERY few cases in my state.
    I have 3 N95 masks at home. I have soap and obviously water. I instructed my caregivers on how to be safe from a virus that likely spreads through droplet which is easily managed, but I can't stop being fearful.

My chemo regimen will be augmented with Neupogen, its part of my Med Onc's regimen.
    It was a little disheartening that my MEd Onc, even though he trained in Memorial Sloan was like, I barely see any of these a year. Lol, at least he was honest. But then again, regimens are done through NCCN guidelines. He was pushing for Surveillance giving me a 30% relapse rate, exactly what Dr. E said to me but to me thats too high. I'll get one round and risk a 3.6% relapse rate. Better that than 30% with 3BEP. I'll cross the chemo bridge if i relapse when if I do.

Yeah, its scary, man! Id be freaking out too if I was starting chemo now... But if you prepare yourself, stock up, avoid going out or seeing people (which is a good idea anyway even without coronavirus), your chances of catching something nasty drop to almost nothing!!
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    3 years all clear + baby after TC!

Take Your Life Back After Cancer 7 Day Challenge - Sign Up Free
    ---
    Personal advice on the everyday reality of TC - Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    ---
    My book on overcoming key challenges us guys face during cancer - Find Out More
    ---
    Listen to expert opinions and survivor insights - Listen to Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

From what I've read, the corona virus doesn't seem to be any more likely to get than the flu, and the vast majority of cases seem to be pretty mild.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I'm mostly worried about my caregivers which will be my step mom and my father.
        I've been educating them about contact/droplet precautions which is something we can actively work with, not airborne, even though i snagged a couple of N95s from the hospital I work at.

It's second nature for me to avoid exposure to patients. To the point that not even once in my 5 year medical career I have been sick with preventable diseases. Now for them thats a whole different beast. They might understand how to be safe but it's not their nature to be.

Then again. It'll be ok. I'm over reacting.

Comment

1xBEP? I'd just basically self quarantine for the 3rd week and the week after. That would probably be your immune system's low point. Outside of that period you should be fine.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

Can your caregivers self quarantine with you? If so, that would solve the issue.

Mike
            Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
            06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
            06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
            Surveillance...
            Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
            6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

I’m a doctor and I’m in the frontlines. I have no clue if I have been exposed and there are cases in my city and likely in the hospital(who knows anymore).

Comment

I'm also starting my 3x BEP. Currently in London, so I have to fly home (yay). My parents are 80 & 76, so I hear your worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elgontc View Post
                  I’m a doctor and I’m in the frontlines. I have no clue if I have been exposed and there are cases in my city and likely in the hospital(who knows anymore).
                  I'm confused, are you more concerned about *getting* it or *giving* it to them. With your potential exposure seems like the latter is more likely to me.Can you get tested for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post

I'm confused, are you more concerned about *getting* it or *giving* it to them. With your potential exposure seems like the latter is more likely to me.Can you get tested for it?
                    What I tried to say is that since there is a change I'm exposed and could had contracted it I don't think its a good idea to get chemo.
                    Nope. I can't get tested. Because the CDC is rolling lame ass guidelines as who can get tested. It's direct confirmed high risk contact with (I'm not high risk contact), or having symptoms. Not everyone can still be tested.

Comment

I understand that the "tests" are limited in quantity, but from what I've read a scan of the chest is actually a more accurate indicator of infection?

Comment

Working...
                      X