X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveillance advice

Hello and best wishes to everyone during this uncertain time.

I could use some advice RE: my upcoming CT/XR/bloodwork during this pandemic. I was scheduled (months ago) to get all this done this Friday, but I am (perhaps irrationally) concerned about going to the hospital during this time.

This will be my 1.5yr followup after successful BEPx3. I've had bloodwork every 3 mos, CT every 6, but I don't think I've had a chest x-ray for a year for some reason.

I know the odds of recurrence are fairly low, but it is most likely during the first 2 years.

Is it silly to think about postponing the imaging/bloodwork to who knows when in light of this virus? Obviously the hospital should be clean, and the virus should be relatively low risk for a 34y/o, I am still concerned about catching it.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Take care!
    04/27/18 Left I/O; mixed non-seminoma; 70% EC, 20% Seminoma, 10% Teratoma; b-HCG 10
    05/03/18 CT, CXR; b-HCG 4
    05/10/18 Stage IIB with one lymph node 2.1x1.4cm
    05/14/18 b-HCG ~0
    06/04/18 Start BEPx3
    07/31/18 Finish chemo
    08/14/18 Follow-up CT Scan, CXR, markers clear
    08/16/18 Surveillance
    12/13/18 Markers clear
    03/14/19 CT, CXR, markers clear

I feel you, man, I'm worried about going to the doctors... Having said that, going for scans or oncologist is way better than sitting in general practice or emergency department... At least with the oncologist you'll be surrounded by like minded folks Have you got a mask handy?
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    3 years all clear + baby after TC!

Take Your Life Back After Cancer 7 Day Challenge - Sign Up Free
    ---
    Personal advice on the everyday reality of TC - Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    ---
    My book on overcoming key challenges us guys face during cancer - Find Out More
    ---
    Listen to expert opinions and survivor insights - Listen to Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Technically you only need a CT scan every 6-12 months, not specifically 6 months, although you should at least be getting a chest x-ray every 6 months, per the latest 2-2020 NCCN guidelines for TC. Up to you, but at least get a chest x-ray. Those take literally 2 minutes. Usually if TC recurs at this point for you, it'll go to the lungs. Up to you, but I'd probably just get the CT scan done and then you don't have to worry about it for awhile. If this pandemic gets bad and hospitals are flooded with sick people in another 6 months, feel free to skip then maybe. Hopefully the summer will beat this crap down, as it did for the last SARS (COVID-19 is basically a "SARS 2")
      StevePake.com | @K2xxSteve on Gab
      (Social Media with actual privacy, cancer support groups, encrypted secure chat & more)

Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
      My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
      C
      ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Thank you for the replies. My plan is to go as scheduled and hopefully keep good social distancing measures, clean hands, etc. I may have a construction mask lying around somewhere...

To be honest I've had a fair amount of anxiety RE: the upcoming test since January, before most of the world was thrown into turmoil. For some reason we did not do a CXR in September, and I am worried about that. I have had a bit of upper/mid back pain on one side for a while, but I hope it is just a muscle strain or from sleeping on my side.

My thoughts are with all those going through treatment during this time.
        04/27/18 Left I/O; mixed non-seminoma; 70% EC, 20% Seminoma, 10% Teratoma; b-HCG 10
        05/14/18 b-HCG ~0
        06/04/18 Start BEPx3
        07/31/18 Finish chemo
        08/16/18 Surveillance
        12/13/18 Markers clear

Comment

Going for a scan will in the very least clear up your worries about cancer!!
          July 2016 - Left I/O
          December 2016 - BEPx3

---
          ---
          ---
          Listen to expert opinions and survivor insights - Listen to Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

I would not postpone any scans your doc wants. This virus is much less of a threat than a TC recurrence, and for most it isn't much more than a cold even i you get it. It is important to try to avoid the public as much as you can, but the problem seems to be overblown at the moment, to me.
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

For me, the next surveillance visit is cancelled because of the pandemic, and cancer is still more of a worry for me than the virus.

I wouldn’t underestimate Covid-19 though, there is a non-trivial chance of complications even for younger people, plus we are part of the risk group.

Comment

Originally posted by RepDrop View Post
                For me, the next surveillance visit is cancelled because of the pandemic, and cancer is still more of a worry for me than the virus.

I wouldn’t underestimate Covid-19 though, there is a non-trivial chance of complications even for younger people, plus we are part of the risk group.
                I would recommend not cancelling TC surveillance. Covid19 is far less deadly than untreated TC.Take proper care of your body,
                Last edited by Davepet; 03-20-20, 08:15 PM.

Comment

It's good to hear a voice of reason, Dave, in a sea of panic... As worrying as it is, we've all had to deal with certainty of cancer hanging over our heads, and we are still here!!
                  July 2016 - Left I/O
                  December 2016 - BEPx3

---
                  ---
                  ---

Comment

I would definitely not recommend cancelling surveillance if you have the choice — I don’t have a choice.

On the other hand, try to do your part in not spreading this disease (even if you are not afraid of your own health). Even if you’ll likely survive if you contract the virus, the strain on the healthcare system is a serious problem that also affects cancer patients.

Comment

Well I got the tests done. Luckily I had a very early appointment, so the hospital was not busy. They were also screening people (sort of) before heading over to imaging.

Now I have quite a bit of anxiety awaiting the results (probably increased due to covid19). Hope my oncologist calls with good news early next week.

I've had a lot of fear about pulmonary fibrosis due to bleomycin. I know the incidence is quite rare, but I did have a short procedure a year ago that required some oxygen. Hard to know if my pounding heart after going up the stairs is just being out of shape, getting old or something worse.
                      05/14/18 b-HCG ~0
                      06/04/18 Start BEPx3
                      07/31/18 Finish chemo
                      08/16/18 Surveillance
                      12/13/18 Markers clear

Comment

Hey JCS I’m with you on this I’m supposed to start A BEP cycle Tuesday! In broward county Florida and the pandemic is freaking me out!

Comment

Untreated, TC is close to 100% fatal. get your treatment, deal with corona if it happens. If you can survive TC you can survive a case of beer

Comment

Working...
                          X