X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Chemo RPLND

Got the news today I'll need surgery, probably in June. Any advice from you guys that've had it?
    Last edited by FBCoachC; 05-08-20, 04:55 PM.

Curious why they are waiting so long? Granted mine was decades ago, but it happened in around two weeks after the I/O.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I finished Chemo Jan 14th and had my first scan in February. That scan showed 1 node 1.6x.1.1cm. We decided to rescan again in May, which showed no change in the node.

Hopkins has placed all surgeries into a 3 tiered system to handle the outbreak. Since everything is stable, I'm tier 2, which means an operation that isn't emergent but needs done within a month or 2.

Comment

It's likely scar tissue or teratoma then, since it's not changing.Let us know how it goes.

Comment

That's the way Dr. Pierorazio is leaning. Said there's a 10% chance of viable cancer. I'll just be happy to get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by FBCoachC View Post
            I finished Chemo Jan 14th and had my first scan in February. That scan showed 1 node 1.6x.1.1cm. We decided to rescan again in May, which showed no change in the node.

Hopkins has placed all surgeries into a 3 tiered system to handle the outbreak. Since everything is stable, I'm tier 2, which means an operation that isn't emergent but needs done within a month or 2.

By the way, I have reviewed this system approach for surgery, not specifically Johns Hopkins, and for RPLND is does make sense. There isn't a huge rush given the virus. Wishing you all the best.

Mike
            Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
            06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
            06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
            Surveillance...
            Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
            6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Surgery is officially scheduled for June 10th.

Comment

Excellent. I am glad to hear they got it scheduled. Now just the pain of sitting around waiting for the day. All the best for sure.

Mike
                06.26.06 Left I/O
                06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                Surveillance...

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Glad to have it scheduled. I'm sure there will be some days that are less than fun, but just want to get it over with. This will be surgery number 15 or so, most orthopedic when I was a teenager, so not necessarily scared of the idea of surgery. This actually wont even be my biggest scar haha.

Comment

Ouch, I've only had the orchiectomy and a broken leg repair. I try hard to stay out of the OR, even at work as even then it usually isn't a good thing if I'm in the room. haha.

All the best.

Mike
                    06.26.06 Left I/O
                    Surveillance...

Comment

RPLND yesterday went well. Doctor thinks only teratoma, but will wait for pathology to confirm. The epidural is very effective and the care at John's Hopkins is top notch.

Comment

Glad it went well.

Comment

I hope you will have a smooth recovery!!
                          Last edited by praxis34; 06-11-20, 09:32 PM.
                          March-April 2018: Lump and discomfort.
                          May 2018: Right I/O
                          Pre-surgery \: AFP: 560, b-HCG: 109.69, and LDH 317
                          Post-surgery: AFP: 164 then 17.29 / b-HCG- 10.13 then <1.2/ LDH: 220 to 173.
                          Pre-chemo: No retroperitoneum lymph node, small pulmonary lesion of 3mm in question.
                          Pathology: 60% teratoma, 25%EC, 10% seminoma, 5% yolk sac No LVI / Pathology revised in the US in 2019 LVI +
                          June-August 2018: BEPx3 micro metastasis? good risk low volume metastatic NSGCT.
                          Post-chemo: Markers normal, scans clean. Moving to US.
                          September 2018-May 2020: Markers and scans clean
                          May 2020: Markers negative, AFP 3.9 to 5. CT: one gonadal lymph node measure 1.2x1.1cm. No significant change compared to 2019 but increase compared to post-chemo scans. Teratoma?
                          June 2020: RPLND - 2 teratomas - 2.2cm and 1.0cm

Comment

Hi Coach, I'm curious what did pathology say?

Comment

Thanks for asking, 3/41 nodes had 100% mature teratoma! Recovery is going well, I'm now on to figuring out how to properly socially distance 100 teenagers and still be productive, that's going as you could imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X