X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeG23 View Post
    I too have an RPLND on June 10th. I went through 4xEP and have two nodes that are still around 1.5 cm. They started at 4 cm. My original pathology from the orchiectomy included 30% Teratoma so they want to surgically remove them. One of the nodes is in my chest so I'll have two separate surgeries.

I hope your procedures go well! Have either of you talked with your surgeon about a minimally invasive approach with robotic assist for the RPLND?
    I wish you and everyone in similar condition speedy and smooth recoveries. I am also waiting my surgery to be scheduled. Because of the pandemic they will let me know 5-7 days in advance! Strange times!

We also discussed robotic surgery and it was line with what I had read before here. Similar to Davepet's point, I was told (or understood) that open would be better, more efficient, and safer expect for relatively more difficult recovery I guess. Even one urologist I spoke with who seems to be doing a lot of robotic surgeries told me that there would be another surgeon ready during the operation in case of a need to switch to open. Of course it was a red alert for me and I sought for better doctors, but it was an interesting point I never heard before. As a non-expert, it also seems like a matter of experience etc. etc.
    March-April 2018: Lump and discomfort.
    May 2018: Right I/O
    Pre-surgery \: AFP: 560, b-HCG: 109.69, and LDH 317
    Post-surgery: AFP: 164 then 17.29 / b-HCG- 10.13 then <1.2/ LDH: 220 to 173.
    Pre-chemo: No retroperitoneum lymph node, small pulmonary lesion of 3mm in question.
    Pathology: 60% teratoma, 25%EC, 10% seminoma, 5% yolk sac No LVI / Pathology revised in the US in 2019 LVI +
    June-August 2018: BEPx3 micro metastasis? good risk low volume metastatic NSGCT.
    Post-chemo: Markers normal, scans clean. Moving to US.
    September 2018-May 2020: Markers and scans clean
    May 2020: Markers negative, AFP 3.9 to 5. CT: one gonadal lymph node measure 1.2x1.1cm. No significant change compared to 2019 but increase compared to post-chemo scans. Teratoma?
    June 2020: RPLND - 2 teratomas - 2.2cm and 1.0cm

Comment

I'm in day 2 post-OP and will be going home tomorrow. A few pieces of advice: YES to the epidural. They'll want you to get up and walk. Getting up out of bed is the hardest part, once you're up it's not so bad. Was told the low fat diet is a thing of the past. Most recent research indicates that it's not necessary. Best of luck, feel free to ask any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by FBCoachC View Post
        I'm in day 2 post-OP and will be going home tomorrow. A few pieces of advice: YES to the epidural. They'll want you to get up and walk. Getting up out of bed is the hardest part, once you're up it's not so bad. Was told the low fat diet is a thing of the past. Most recent research indicates that it's not necessary. Best of luck, feel free to ask any questions.
        Thanks for the updates FBCoachC! It is relieving to hear your comments and advice! I wish you a smooth recovery! Please keep us updated with your advices
        Pre-chemo: No retroperitoneum lymph node, small pulmonary lesion of 3mm in question.
        Pathology: 60% teratoma, 25%EC, 10% seminoma, 5% yolk sac No LVI / Pathology revised in the US in 2019 LVI +
        June-August 2018: BEPx3 micro metastasis? good risk low volume metastatic NSGCT.
        May 2020: Markers negative, AFP 3.9 to 5. CT: one gonadal lymph node measure 1.2x1.1cm. No significant change compared to 2019 but increase compared to post-chemo scans. Teratoma?

Comment

Day 3 Update: out of the hospital and walking around quite a bit. Have switched to Advil, which seems to be doing the job. Best of luck, I'll keep you posted as things change.

Comment

Originally posted by FBCoachC View Post
            Day 3 Update: out of the hospital and walking around quite a bit. Have switched to Advil, which seems to be doing the job. Best of luck, I'll keep you posted as things change.
            It sounds like things are quite manageable on Day 3! Very glad to hear!

Comment

My doc was comfortable moving forward with the robotic assist since the trouble node didn't appear to be fused to the aorta. Recovery for me has mainly been dealing with being bloated. They pumped me full of CO2 during the procedure and it still hasn't worked its way out.

Like Coach said the worst is rolling in and out of bed. Otherwise there isn't much pain. They pushed me out of the hospital in 24 hours.

​Wish you the best Praxis!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG23 View Post
                My doc was comfortable moving forward with the robotic assist since the trouble node didn't appear to be fused to the aorta. Recovery for me has mainly been dealing with being bloated. They pumped me full of CO2 during the procedure and it still hasn't worked its way out.

Like Coach said the worst is rolling in and out of bed. Otherwise there isn't much pain. They pushed me out of the hospital in 24 hours.

​Wish you the best Praxis!
                Thanks JoeG23! I wish you a smooth/speedy recovery! I'll update the thread once I hear from the hospital and during the recovery

Comment

@FBCoachC, How is it going for you?

Comment

How is everyone doing? I got my RPLND on Monday. Pain is manageable overall. I made two laps with nurses today. Bowel movements seem to come back. Epidural dose was giving me dizziness whenever I got up. Dose has changed problems got solved

Comment

Its good to hear your surgery went well. Where did you have it done?

Comment

Thanks db79. I’m at Brigham and Women’s hospital in Boston and with Graeme Steele.

Comment

Hi everyone (and possibly readers in the future), I had my surgery 7 days ago and pain and everything is quite manageable so far. If this smooth recovery is even slightly thanks to Dr. Steele's skills, which I am very confident it is the case, I would highly recommend him to New Englanders like myself. Besides mild cramps after eating things, I have not experienced most of the complications (not idea about the retro issue yet). Tylenol seems to be working for me overall.

Comment

Is RPLND pathology clear?

Comment

Working...
                            X