X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid survivors here?

I'm a TC survivor 2 years in remission after 3xBEP, with the recent Covid onslaught, have been keeping a low key. Seemingly, my oncologist has said that 3xBEP survivors shouldn't be any more susceptible than normal folks.

However, I've already read about 2 testicular cancer survivors in the news who died of Covid: Jeffrey Ghazarian (https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-jef...ornia/6046195/) and Frank Gabrin (see https://khn.org/news/baby-i-cant-bre...vid-19-battle/)

Now, you can't make much sense from just 2 cases here, but this has me worried though.

Anyone here who has gone through BEP survived Covid? Or know of one?
    2018:
    1/10 - Felt mass in right testicle.
    1/11 - LDH: 287 (max = 246), AFP: 16, HCG: 87
    1/18 - Orcheictomy. Non-sem, 80% EC, 15% Teratoma, 5% Yolk. LVI present. pT2, Tentative stage 1B.
    1/29 - Chest CT, Brain MRI, all clear
    2/19: HCG = 5.6, AFP = 13, LDH = 187 (ref = 340)
    2/20: Abdomen CT, 3 large lymph nodes, 0.8, 1.0 and 1.3. Stage 2A
    2/22: 3x BEP start
    2/22 - 4/26:
    AFP: 13, {11, 9, 5}, {4, 4, 3}, {3, 2, 2}
    HCG: 5.6, {2.7, <0.6, <0.6}, {<0.6, <0.6, <0.6}, {<0.6, <0.6, <0.6}
    LDH: 187, {208, 149, 196}, {215, 197, 222}, {277, 270, 240}
    5/3: CT scan, all clear. Lymph nodes <1cm (largest 0.8cm)
    7/5: Repeat MRI, lymph nodes unchanged. Markers still normal
    9/1: Repeat MRI, unchanged

Hi

I'm lucky so far i don't know of anyone having Covid and I'm from England which is one of the worst in the world, also just finished my BEP treatment so been going through it at height of the pandemic. I know the risks are high while undergoing chemo due to lowered immune system but I have not been able to isolate and have been out shopping etc whilst neutropenic taking precautions wearing masks etc.

If you are post chemo the only issue i am aware of is the fact of having had Bleomycin could be problematic if requiring intubation and putting on a ventilator. But I think when Covid is severe it is an inflammatory response caused by the patients own immune system rather than from the virus itself. As such i don't see why having had cancer or treatment for cancer should make any difference. Looks like severity is either genetically pre disposed or due to immunological issues to me. Studies find the highest co morbidities to be high blood pressure and heart issues neither of which are after effects from cancer to my knowledge.

Best to take that vitamin D and keep fit and healthy right now (something i will need to start having gained 2.5 stones during chemo lol)

deekz

Comment

My Oncologist has informed me that even though I had 3xBEP six years ago that I am in the high-risk bucket for COVID.

The reason for that is my immune system was wiped out in each of my BEP cycles. So even though my immune system is "normal", there is no clear understanding how it may react with COVID, so I think it's a better safe than sorry stance for all of us involved.

My boss's wife lost her immune system, for reasons unrelated to cancer, and even though she is considered at a "normal" level at this time they consider anyone who had a history of immune system loss to be considered immuno-compromised.

That's just what I have been hearing from several doctors.

- Matt
      March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
      March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
      6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
      LDH never fully normalized
      Stage: IS
      Watchful Waiting
      May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
      May 12th: started 3xBEP
      Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
      July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
      August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
      September 4th: Port removed
      January 2020: 5.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Originally posted by deekz View Post
        Hi

I'm lucky so far i don't know of anyone having Covid and I'm from England which is one of the worst in the world, also just finished my BEP treatment so been going through it at height of the pandemic. I know the risks are high while undergoing chemo due to lowered immune system but I have not been able to isolate and have been out shopping etc whilst neutropenic taking precautions wearing masks etc.

If you are post chemo the only issue i am aware of is the fact of having had Bleomycin could be problematic if requiring intubation and putting on a ventilator. But I think when Covid is severe it is an inflammatory response caused by the patients own immune system rather than from the virus itself. As such i don't see why having had cancer or treatment for cancer should make any difference. Looks like severity is either genetically pre disposed or due to immunological issues to me. Studies find the highest co morbidities to be high blood pressure and heart issues neither of which are after effects from cancer to my knowledge.

Best to take that vitamin D and keep fit and healthy right now (something i will need to start having gained 2.5 stones during chemo lol)

deekz
        I would like to second deekz's comment on Bleo. Last week I had my RPLND in Boston at Brigham and Women's Hospital. The team decided to cut the IV fluids the night of the operation day and their reasoning was related to Bleo. I think they wanted to avoid any risk of pneumonia related to the IV fluids and perhaps the COVID-19. I guess they want to play safe in the first five years of Bleo.
        March-April 2018: Lump and discomfort.
        May 2018: Right I/O
        Pre-surgery \: AFP: 560, b-HCG: 109.69, and LDH 317
        Post-surgery: AFP: 164 then 17.29 / b-HCG- 10.13 then <1.2/ LDH: 220 to 173.
        Pre-chemo: No retroperitoneum lymph node, small pulmonary lesion of 3mm in question.
        Pathology: 60% teratoma, 25%EC, 10% seminoma, 5% yolk sac No LVI / Pathology revised in the US in 2019 LVI +
        June-August 2018: BEPx3 micro metastasis? good risk low volume metastatic NSGCT.
        Post-chemo: Markers normal, scans clean. Moving to US.
        September 2018-May 2020: Markers and scans clean
        May 2020: Markers negative, AFP 3.9 to 5. CT: one gonadal lymph node measure 1.2x1.1cm. No significant change compared to 2019 but increase compared to post-chemo scans. Teratoma?
        June 2020: RPLND - 2 teratomas - 2.2cm and 1.0cm

Comment

Working...
        X