• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colinjegan
    started a topic RPLND Recovery Questions

RPLND Recovery Questions

Hello Everyone,

I’m currently on day 0 during my final stem cell transplant. Fortunately, my markers went to 0 a while back, but the tumors haven’t been shrinking much, which means I’ll need the RPLND along with the removal of a mediastinal lymph node pressing on the lung.

To anyone who’s had the RPLND: how long does the recovery take? When could you start running? When did the surgeon clear you to do basically anything? I’m particularly interested in lifting heavy weights. When were you able to get off the low fat diet and eat completely normally?

Thanks for the support!

• Mike
    replied
    Indeed, you will be in excellent hands with Dr. Sheinfeld and the team at MSKCC. You can probably contact the office and ask them in advance if they have guidance as far as return to activities post-RPLND.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• colinjegan
    replied
    Thanks for the info! Yes, I have heard that post chemo surgery can be significantly more challenging, and I’ve gotten a lot of chemo. Thankfully Dr. Sheinfeld of MSKCC will be doing my operation, so I’m in good hands.

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    I haven't had the RPLND but in general the timelines are very surgeon/center specific. For example, some like the low fat diet while others suggest you just follow your normal diet. I think a lot if going to depend on the extensiveness of your individual surgery as well. In general, I would anticipate at least 6 weeks before being able to lift anything more than 10 pounds and perhaps longer as the post-chemotherapy RPLNDs can be a bit more difficult of a surgery.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X