• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsta
    • Jul 2007

Rib cage lesions sign of recurrence?

Hey all -

I just got the results from my monthly Xray and blood work and the X-ray shows some lesions, not on my lungs, but on my actual ribs. I had this hacking cough 2 months ago, which left me with a sharp pain in my ribs for over a month but then went away. I figured I had broken my rib(s) but did not get it checked out, since there is nothing you can do for broken ribs. The doctor is recommending a CT scan of my chest to be sure. Any similar experiences? Will the CT scan be able to differentiate between lesions caused by a broken rib and lesions caused by a recurrence of cancer? Any info. would be appreciated.

Spencer
    *Diagnosed 2/26/2007 - left testicle - 2.5 cm mass
    *Radical Orchiectomy 2/29/2007 - embryonic germ cell tumor
    *Initial CT scan revealed one enlarged lymph node at 1.5cmx1.5cm
    *Subsequent CT scan 2 weeks later revealed lymph node had doubled to 2.7cmx2.7cm.
    *Underwent 4 rounds of Chemotherapy (Cisplatin/Etopiside) from March-June 2007
    *CT scan revealed node had shrunk to 0.7cmx0.7cm
    *RPLND surgery performed by Dr. Sheinfeld at MSKCC June 27, 2007
  • dadmo
    • Oct 2004

The reader should have no problem making a destinction between a break and a cancer lesion.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• Karen
      • Mar 2006

Spencer,
      I do recall another member from a while back who had a spot picked up on his rib, but I can't find the post no matter how many different ways I search. Anyone have a better memory for this?

Why a CT and not a bone scan? This may be nothing more than an injury....hang in there and let us know the results.
      Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

• Fed
        • Dec 2006

I'm thinking about this, and a CT scan with decent contrast could help out a lot. The X-ray gives some reliable 3D info, but a CT scan is way better at it. A bone scan would be of limited use, and you'll probably learn more about the lesions with a CT scan (you can get some amazing resolution nowadays). You probably would need a CT scan anyways prior to bone scan.

Hang tough, bro. Let us know if there's any way we can help.
        "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
        11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
        12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• Flyman
          • Dec 2007

Lesions

Maybe you should ask some of the other members at this Forum but I had a CT in early October of 2007 to try and figure out why my AFP had become elevated after eleven years. The CT scan didn't show anything but two tiny 6 mm nodules in my right lung.

Then my oncologist recommended a PET scan that helps to locate tumor activity via an injection of radioactive glucose. Cancer tumors are sugar hungry and the glucose attaches to cancer as it courses through your body.

The results of my PET showed a kidney shaped nodule about 1.5 x .5 cm in my neck near my clavicle and jugular vein. I had it excised in early December and the pathology report indicated it was "consistent with non seminoma germ cell tumor."

This is just my $.02
          [SIZE=1]Diagnosis 09/93
          Removal LT 10/93
          Begin 4xBEP chemo 10/93
          Complete 4xBEP 01/94
          RPLND 02/94
          Cancer free 03/94
          Adhesions issues 06/94, 07/94, 08/94
          11/96 Teratoma seen in annual chest X-ray
          12/96 Thorocotomy to remove lower lobe left lung
          10/07 elevated AFP, followed with CT chest, abdomen
          11/07 PET, then CT of neck
          12/07 Surgical removal of 1.5 cm nodule in neck
          AFP 01/04/08 - Result down to 162!
          AFP 01/18/08 - Marker down to 57!
          AFP 11/30/10 - Marker at 1.5

Comment

• Karen
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Fed
            I'm thinking about this, and a CT scan with decent contrast could help out a lot. The X-ray gives some reliable 3D info, but a CT scan is way better at it. A bone scan would be of limited use, and you'll probably learn more about the lesions with a CT scan (you can get some amazing resolution nowadays). You probably would need a CT scan anyways prior to bone scan.

Hang tough, bro. Let us know if there's any way we can help.
            Went back through some records and my dad had an MRI with and without contrast to differentialte arthritic changes in his spine from bone metastesis. The bone scan was done first and was inconclusive, as Fed suggested it would be. When is your follow up on this scheduled for, Spencer?
            Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

• spinsta
              • Jul 2007

I spoke with Dr. Sheinfeld's office this morning and they have recommended a CT scan. I plan on getting it done sometime today, hopefully, since I am leaving NY tonight. Of course, the first thing they ask me is "Have you fallen recently?". The radiologist also asked me if I had broken a rib recently - they said that my lungs are clean, which is normally where they would suspect the cancer to spread. When I had a bad cough two months ago, I had so much rib pain in my right side that I couldn't do push ups or sleep on my right side for over a month - I am 99% I must have broken a rib in late October but wonder why it has not shown up in last month's xray?
              *Subsequent CT scan 2 weeks later revealed lymph node had doubled to 2.7cmx2.7cm.

Comment

• spinsta
                • Jul 2007

Hey all thanks for your support - it turns out that I did break my ribs coughing -CT scan shows no sign of recurrence. yay!

Spencer

Comment

• Scott
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by spinsta
                  it turns out that I did break my ribs coughing -CT scan shows no sign of recurrence. yay!
                  Spencer, that must have been some cough! Sorry about the broken rib, but I'm very glad to hear you got good news.
                  Scott
                  right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• Karen
                    • Mar 2006

WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

Excellent news!

Comment

• Fed
                      • Dec 2006

That is indeed a relief! Great to hear the news!
                      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• Fish
                        • Sep 2005

Spencer,

Excellent News!!

Now you can kick back and relax.
                        Fish
                        TC1
                        Right I/O 4/22/1988
                        RPLND 6/20/1988
                        TC2
                        Left I/O 9/17/2003
                        Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• Margaret
                          • Jan 2007

Best news possible!!
                          Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                          Current DVT
                          Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

• TCLEFT
                            • Jul 2004

Don't let that cough carry you off. Good News!
                            I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

• Jay68442
                              • Jul 2007

That must have been one hell of a cough. Congrats on the All Clear.
                              If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
                              If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
                              Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
                              My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
                              Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
                              There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

Working...
                              X