Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh! How do you remove steri-strips!?

That is, without yanking them off?

About a dozen have fallen off already, but about that many are still left and half of those aren't even starting to "peel" yet. Of course, the ones that remain are all on the bulbous bottom part of my gut so every time I eat something, they stretch and hurt like heck. The doc originally used some sort of iodine(?) solution to get the strips to stick, so I'm hoping there's some sort of chemical answer (water and rubbing alcohol don't seem to do much)...
    Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Steri strips should be allowed to fall off by themselves. Pulling or tugging could open the wound. A light bandage could be put over if they are being irritated by your clothing. It won't be long before they set themselves free!! take care. Sharon
    Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Russ
      [...] so I'm hoping there's some sort of chemical answer (water and rubbing alcohol don't seem to do much)...
      Take it from a chemist... rubbing alcohol is a bad idea: it will dry the skin and make it itch more. I'd do as Sharon says (she is, after all, an RN and fully qualified to make that call ).
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Baby oil helps get the sticky residue off. Maybe try rubbing it in on the ends. Of course, only after checking with the dr so you know it's fine to take them off! (I had c-sections and my steri strips did not come off weeks afterwards, even though they were supposed to according to the dr. I used a combination of taking them off in a hot shower and baby oil).
        2007: Husband misdiagnosed, negative ultrasound
        5/14/08: I/O done "just in case" after inconclusive ultrasound
        5/21/08: Diagnosed pure seminoma, 7.5 X 5.7 X 4.2 cm
        6/13/08: Carboplatin

Comment

I would not yank them - let them fall off by themselves. Maybe showering twice a day may accelerate the process, but dont yank them.
          Manoj
          09.29.07 - visit to ER with severe pain
          10.08.07 - Dx with TC
          10.10.07 - Rt I/O. Dx - 90% EC, 10 % yolk sac tumor, less than 1% immature teratoma & choriocarcinoma
          11.21.07 - (day before Thanksgiving) NS RPLND @ MSKCC
          11.28.07 - Return back home, recieve lab report. 86 lymph nodes removed - all clear. Begin Surveillance
          04.10.08 - 2 cm nodule detected in lungs
          04.28.08 - Starting 4XEP
          07.03.08 - 4XEP complete
          end-Sept - CT Scan scheduled

Comment

What's odd is "don't yank them" is the most common answer, yet the first thing my doc did for the I/O followup was rip the last few strips right off (my first bikini wax!) The few I did yank were already loose at one end and the other was not adhered near the incision, but it's been close to 10 days since they went on and they are stuck as strong as day 1. At this rate, my grandkids can pull them off for me...

Will absolutely try the baby oil though. (I'll just tell my wife I want to oil-wrestle her )
            Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

....on a rare occasion I have witnessed a doctor taking advantage of their self created self privledge "gone wrong" and end up in the spot light. It is also interesting to watch their behavior as they work even harder to preserve the ego. A long long time ago I used to work with a doctor who created a zipper type stitch...then one clip and zip, zip zip zip across the belly as the patient levitated off the bed. Wish I could describe his face, wish I could have spoken my mind. Most doctors hold on the to the compassion that they entered the field with, others....well, not so strong. I could talk for a while. I agree with the oil, if they are delayed, a gentle approach to me would seem the wiser. To balance, sometimes these strong doctors hold strong when others don't. Who knows what the "right" answer might be!!??!! Most of all, hope your healing is quick and easy. take care, Sharon
              Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Thank you Sharon, very interesting post. You might be surprised to know I spent several years defending such doctors in their med mal suits so I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

I'll let you know how the oil goes
                Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Hey Russ: When Andy was receiving home health due to his chylous ascites, an RN used to come to the house once a week to draw blood, clean the picc line, etc., she would leave for me these pads pre-moistened with some type of oily solution which worked very, very well in removing the surgical tape on his abdomen (since the dressings on his drains had to be changed daily). My guy being quite furry HATED whenever the surgical tape had to be peeled off, but somehow didn't mind so much when we had these pads. I'll find out what they're called and if they're available at any pharmacy or drug store. They were packaged like little towelettes...worked wonders!
                  Last edited by MRMRSU; 06-02-08, 11:59 PM.
                  Maria
                  *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
                  *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
                  *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Originally posted by Manny
                    Maybe showering twice a day may accelerate the process.
                    I was showering twice a day when I had those stuff and was yanking them -the steri strips if you know what I mean.
                    It will be super itchy after like 2 to 3 months.
                    Pure embryonal Carcinoma, orchietomy, rplnd, X-ray/blood markers every 3 months.
                    Pray, Hope and Don't worry.

Comment

PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pads

Originally posted by MRMRSU
                      Hey Russ: When Andy was receiving home health due to his chylous ascites, and RN used to come to the house once a week to draw blood, clean the picc line, etc., she would leave for me these pads pre-moistened with some type of oily solution which worked very, very well in removing the surgical tape on his abdomen (since the dressings on his drains had to be changed daily). My guy being quite furry HATED whenever the surgical tape had to be peeled off, but somehow didn't mind so much when we had these pads. I'll find out what they're called and if they're available at any pharmacy or drug store. They were packaged like little towelettes...worked wonders!
                      Maria/Russ,

At NYU they used "PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pads" prior to taking the bandages or band aids, etc., off. I must say they did make life alot easier - took off 75% less skin/hair.

Good luck,
                      Steven

Comment

PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pads

Originally posted by S L
                        Maria/Russ,

At NYU they used "PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pads" prior to taking the bandages or band aids, etc., off. I must say they did make life alot easier - took off 75% less skin/hair.

Good luck,
                        Steven
                        Sorry, I forgot to provide the company name/contact info:

Professional Disposables, Inc.
                        Orangeburg, NY 10962-1376
                        800-999-6423
                        Reorder #B16400

Comment

Hey Steven: I know all the "furries" will thank you! How cool of you to list the reorder number! I hope you are doing well and that recovery is going smoothly. Glad that you've managed to stay in the 75th percentile of men able to keep their belly fur
                          Maria
                          *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
                          *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
                          *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Thanks everyone (especially Steven), that's some good info. Of course, I don't need it today - some oil, a beard trimmer and about 20 minutes is all it took. Turns out that 99% of the pain was from the hair getting caught in the adhesive, not the skin, so all in all, the process wasn't too bad. Seems like the top of the incision is healing much more quickly than the bottom though - kind of weirding me out. The top is where the strips first fell off like a week ago.

More importantly, I can actually move around now and not have random stabbing pains in the abdomen (well, not entirely true, that still happens, but at least it's not the steri-strips' fault). Now just slathering on the Vit E cream so I can reduce the "I got shanked in prison" look that I'm not too fond of...
                            Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Russ
                              (...)Now just slathering on the Vit E cream so I can reduce the "I got shanked in prison" look that I'm not too fond of...
                              Try to look at it this way: nobody will every kick sand in your face at the beach. You'll have the been-in-prison/tough-guy look. Good luck with the healing, Russ.
                              TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                              TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Working...
                              X