Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does chemo remain in your system?

Hi once again

For those of you who don't know my husband's story....he is currently undergoing HDC with a stem cell transplantation known as TICE.

Would anybody know exactly how strong HDC is and how long does the chemotherapy remain in your system fighting off cancer cells?

Much appreciated, well in advance

Belle,
    I can't answer your specific questions and hope someone else can chime in....replying to bump this post back up to the top.
    Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Thanks Karen

I'm assuming that nobody knows the answer to my question, unless I have posted it in the wrong section

Will keep trying to find out though.

Comment

Belle:
        It only takes a few weeks for the chemo to kill the cancer cells but the chemicals themselves can take years to be completly expelled from the body. Studies have found that cisplatin/platinol can be found in the body up to 20 years after treatment.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Belle looking for answers

Originally posted by Belle View Post
          Thanks Karen

I'm assuming that nobody knows the answer to my question, unless I have posted it in the wrong section

Will keep trying to find out though.
          Belle,
          Right section to post. How is your husband doing on the TICE? Is he home now? I know you posted on your other thread that his docs are not chock full of information, and that's a shame.

Bringing this to the top of the list again! Sorry I can't be of any more help than to keep the thread visible....
          Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Hi All

My husband is home for ten days after finishing his second cycle of TICE. We cannot wait for him to finish his third cycle and hopefully return to normality.The second cycle hit him quite hard in hospital, so I can imagine what the third cycle is going to be like.

Would anybody know wheather it would be more difficult to wipe out numerous small mets of cancer throughout the body rather than a large tumour? I often wonder how this works and despite all the research that I do, I cannot find answers to my question.

Any help would be appreciated. Ta

Comment

Belle:
              Chemo doesn't care about tumor size. If the cancer is reactive it will be killed. The larger tumors will take longer to be fade away and may leave scar tissue or dead tissue behind where the smaller ones will completly disappear. Chemo is often refered to as weed killer and just like a good dose of that all of the weeds will die. The larger ones take longer but die they will.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Hi

Would anybody happen to know what the normal range for LDH is? Most members/doctors etc focus on the AFP and HCG.

Comment

Hi Belle,

First off, my apologies for not replying to this thread earlier. Back in the lab I have a book that details some of the pharmacokinetics (i.e. what the body does to foreign compounds)of chemo drugs, but I'm gearing up for a conference this weekend, so I have not had a chance to check that out. I promise I'll look tomorrow.

As far as the LDH is concerned... LDH as a TC tumor marker is very imprecise. LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) can be a measure of healthy tissue degradation. Since that's a process that can also happen in normal cells, by itself it has little bearing the existence of cancer. It is sometimes used as a measure of tumor burden, but only in people that have confirmed masses and normal levels of AFP or HCG.

Fed
                  "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                  11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                  12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Hi once again

What is the importance of AFP? Am I going around in circles? I am not too sure myself...
                    I feel so bad sometimes when I post my concerns because I don't want to waste anybody's time either...but I cannot stop thinking about cancer, salvage chemo, tumour markers, etc.

My husband is going back in for his third cycle of TICE on Wednesday and we pray that his tumour markers remain as AFP - 3, HCG - <2 and LDH 360 or lower.

Comment

Could an AFP be below 0. What should it normally be?
                      I have read articles where blood tumour markers are not highly accurate and then I have read ones which are. I am not too sure what tho think at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Belle View Post
                        Hi once again

I feel so bad sometimes when I post my concerns because I don't want to waste anybody's time either...
                        Belle:
                        Please don't worry about this, keep posting until you have you answers.

AFP is only one indicator and cannot by itself tell you if tc is active. Some types of tumors associated with tc simply don't cause a rise in this number. In a patients with pure seminoma AFP is never elevated.
                        In most men AFP will be below 5 so don't drive youself sick waiting for that number to go to 0. Small fluctuations are to be expected so don't fret over the number bouncing around a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

The only reason I am focusing so highly on tumour markers is because the docs won't have anymore information for us until my husband finishes his 3rd cycle of high dose chemo. The reason for this is because his creatinine level was rather high after the first round and they didn't want to do a CT scan until he finishes the third cycle. Apparently, the liquid taken for a CT scan can affect your kidneys and they didn't want to risk anything.
                          For this reason, the only positive thing that we can take away so far are his tumour markers.

Comment

Working...
                          X