X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centers of Expertise

One of the most frequently asked questions is, "How do I contact a center of expertise for another opinion or treatment?"

Contact information for two top centers is at these links.The Testicular Cancer Resource Center website lists other experts around the world at this link.
    Last edited by Scott; 12-31-08, 03:19 PM.
    Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

You should Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto ON for any Canadian folks on the site.
    Girlfriend of Nick (21 years old)
    Treated at Princess Margaret Hospital under Dr. Michael Jewett

Jan.08 I/O, Oct.08 RPLND, May.09 3xBEP, Jul.09 Surveillance

Comment

Princess Margaret and other Canadian hospitals (including full contact information) are listed in the TCRC link Scott provided.
      TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
      TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Seattle Area

Dr. Craig Nichols is at Virgina Mason. Dr. Vuky is at OHSU in Portland. Both are excellent Doctors in TC.
        Last edited by RyanSeattle; 09-17-11, 12:31 AM.

Comment

If anybody is from the Tenn area. I would highly recommend Dr. Roth (onocologist) & Dr. Cookson (surgeon) from Vandy!!! He is also among experts on the TC website Scott provided.
          Right I/O Aug 2008
          Embryonal Carcinoma
          Mets in Lymph Nodes - Stage II B
          3xBEP @ Vanderbilt Sep-Nov 08
          Surveillance Dec 08 - present
          2 Year All Clear 1/13/2011!

Comment

Can anyone advise on expertise in Virginia?
            Taking it day by day, may take time... but you'll get there

mass found R-test.(Ultrasound) Right orchiectomy
            Husband diagnosed TC 07/21/09
            2 lymphnodes found in abdomen (4.3x2.8 and 2.4x2.0)
            Small lymphnode lower chest (1.4x.1.1)
            brain scan clear
            staging: T1 NX MX
            4XBEP started 08/17/09 HCG-57,162 / LDH-1167
            ~~~~~~
            Tumor markers normal 11/25/09
            Scans show 3 lymphs in ab. about 1.8mm
            RPLND 01/15/10

Comment

I use Dr. Thomas at the Oncology Department at University of Virginia Medical Center.
              Diagnosed with TC on 01/09/09
              Left Side orchiectomy 1/13/09
              100% Seminoma
              Starting BEP 3X 2-08-10

Comment

Dana-Farber in Boston as well for the people in New England....
                19 Nov 09 Dx Metastaic Seminoma
                25 Nov 09 Right I/O....Primary tumor burned out
                Stage IIB
                4 JAN 10 - 2 MAR 10 3XBEP
                7 APR 10 All Clear....Surveillance

Comment

Dear Forum members,

Will be doing a world trip in a couple of months and one stay will be in Austin, Texas. As I need to do my check-up at that time would ask for any view on the MDAnderson institut. From what I read in the Internet it seems to be an excellent address?

Cheers
                  Voltron
                  September 2005 - r I/O, teratoma (~70%), EC, (~25%), some Yolk Sac, no LVI, staged G3/pT1/N0/S0
                  July 2006 - solitary lymph node enlarged (1.2cm x 0.9cm x 1.5cm), blood markers normal
                  February 2010 - lymph node removed laparascopically (malign)
                  All clear since (last update Nov 2013)

Comment

One Center of Excellence or the other??

I am going to Sloan, and am curious about differences between facilities. Is one BETTER than the other? Less equiped? I see some guys r out in the middle of nowhere. Do small town hospitals know what to do???

Just curious.

Comment

WIsconsin?

The closest center I have found in my area is the University of Chicago Medical Center.
                      Has any one else had RPLND done in the upper midwest (MN, WI, IL) ?
                      6-25-10 - Dx AFP 38
                      6-28-10 - Right I/O
                      Path: 3.5x3.4x2.9cm: 50% EC with, yolk sack elements and teratoma, seminoma (5%). No invasion.
                      7-13-10 - AFP 18.5, HCG Normal
                      7- -21-10 - AFP 5.3, HCG Normal
                      7-27-10 - surveillance
                      8-9-10 Path from IU: 10% EC, 65% mature teratoma, 5% seminoma and yolk sac
                      10-15-10 Enlarged lymph node
                      11/4 Hcg 3
                      11/10-11/19 rplnd at IU with 6 day ileus
                      11/19/12- 2 year post rplnd ALL CLEAR!

Comment

Looking for a good doc

I haven't posted in a while and thought all was going well for me since my RPLND last December. My markers and X-rays were all coming back normal until the most recent round last week. My HCG was elevated at 6, which although not terribly high was enough to give my doc and me pause because my markers were never elevated; not even before the IO. My predicament is that I have recently moved to NW Arkansas and do not have too much confidence in the local medical community who can only assure me that they can access TC info online like all doctors or that they saw some TC in med school. My current doc wants to be proactive and has ordered a battery of tests for the coming week (retesting markers, CT/PET, and even an ultrasound), which is all reassuring, but I do not know if I want the tests performed and interpreted here.

So, I guess I am curious if anyone knows of a good TC doc I can consult with in my area or within driving distance (Tulsa, OK; Little Rock, AR; Kansas City, MO, etc)?
                        -David

Comment

Dear David,,

I am sorry about the possible need for more treatment. I was born in raised in Arkansas. My son was diagnosed in Arkansas (Fort Smith) while he was visiting his dad. They had not treated a case of TC there. They told me we needed to decided where we wanted him to receive treatment. Since we were living in Charlotte, NC we came home. He did end up at IU under Dr. Einhorn.

If you need to stay in driving distance, I would look at UofA Medical School in Little Rock. At least it is a teaching hospital. You could also contact Dr. Einhorn and have your doctor contact Dr. Einhorn and let him make recommendations for your doctor there to follow. Dr. Einhorn has done that for others here.

I will say a prayer and be thinking of you as you make this decision....

love,
                          Pam
                          Son Les diagnosed 5/7/07-Right I/0 5/9/07-Stage 3C Non-seminoma Mixed Cell Germ Tumor-Tumors in liver, lungs, lymph nodes, brain-4XBED Finished 7/31/07 HCG 9 tumors smaller, brain lesion gone-9/30/07 HCG 999-TIPx4 started 10/2/07, IU 11/29 Told he had Choriocarcinoma Syndrome HDC and Stem Cell Transplant to begin 1/3/08 Finished Transplant 3/1/08 HDC and Stem Cell Transplant Failure 3/20. 4/17 RPLND & Liver resection, Molecular profiling of tumor, 6/2 Hospice Services- Passed Away 12/12/08

Comment

While it's possible this is a recurrence, it's also possible it's a false alarm. It's good to hear you have tests scheduled. Some reasons for a false positive test are listed on this web page. Hang in there, and let us know as you learn more about what's happening.
                            Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
                            right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

besides MDAnderson in houston there is also CTRC in san antonio. both are part of the ut health system and ctrc is gaining and is almost in the same neighborhood as md anderson these days.
                              That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X