• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsta
    • Jul 2007

Slight pain/soreness above belly button

Hi all,

I am a TC cancer survivor who underwent 4xEP and an RPLND in 2007. I am now on the bi-monthly checkups and have been clear for 22 months so far. Just 3 days ago, I noticed that I have very slight pain/discomfort in my abdominal muscles about 2 inches above my belly button slightly to the left. The pain is only present when I touch/massage the area, not when I flex my abs or anything else, but inclusive when I barely touch the area. The pain appears to be close to the surface and is similar to the feeling of just doing having done sit-ups. I have not done any strenuous exercise for a few weeks, so I cannot imagine why else I would have this soreness in my abdomen. Just by chance, I had my chest Xray and blood work done today, since it is my bi-monthly time. Any idea what this could be? Just a random, local infection or something more? There is no lump, nothing present when I massage the area. Any ideas?
    *Diagnosed 2/26/2007 - left testicle - 2.5 cm mass
    *Radical Orchiectomy 2/29/2007 - embryonic germ cell tumor
    *Initial CT scan revealed one enlarged lymph node at 1.5cmx1.5cm
    *Subsequent CT scan 2 weeks later revealed lymph node had doubled to 2.7cmx2.7cm.
    *Underwent 4 rounds of Chemotherapy (Cisplatin/Etopiside) from March-June 2007
    *CT scan revealed node had shrunk to 0.7cmx0.7cm
    *RPLND surgery performed by Dr. Sheinfeld at MSKCC June 27, 2007
  • Already Bald
    • Nov 2006

Did Dr. Sheinfeld examine you for an incisional hernia?
    He did my RPLND in 2006, and last year I presented with the hernia.
    It was above my naval, and the lump was obvious when I bore down.

I'm sure you will be okay, but why not call it in?
    Best,
    Joe
    Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
    Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
    The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• spinsta
      • Jul 2007

Yeah, I actually thought about the hernia possibility, but there's no bulge/lump at all and the soreness just started a few days ago. I'll get it checked out if it persists for a few more days.
      *Subsequent CT scan 2 weeks later revealed lymph node had doubled to 2.7cmx2.7cm.

Comment

• Paul54
        • Oct 2007

Hi, Spencer. Could also be an umbilical hernia having nothing to do with the RPLND. Just a small weak spot in the abdomenal muscles. I had one when I was very young, and went away. A brother had one in his late teens requiring a very brief outpatient surgery. Lie on your back in a sit-up position and raise your shoulders a couple inches. With your abs tense, have someone gently massage the spot and see if they notice a very small bubble or bulge. Another sign is brief unexplained indigestion. Don't know why. Let us know how you do.
        "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
        Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

• spinsta
          • Jul 2007

Just gave it a try - nothing out of the ordinary, no bubble/bump or anything. But thanks for the advice!

Comment

• JordoC
            • Oct 2009

Hi Spinsta,

I had left inguinal orchiectomy 3 weeks ago and am now suffering from very similar problem to what you describe. Pain near the surface of the skin a few cm from my belly button. Only sore when I touch or massage it. Fits the description of hernia but can't find any lump.
            Did you find out the cause of your pain?

Jordo

Comment

Working...
            X